Thread: Iceland

Thanks
    Have any of our much travelled members ever been to Reykjavik? I find it quite appealing and hope to take a city break with the wife there sometime in the next 6 months. Flight's can be had for decent prices online and there is plenty to do whilst there. There are plenty of websites with interesting tourist information but real experiences are always better.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Thanks
    I was there once, but it was a few years ago and it was a stop-over on the way to New York. I remember that it was expensive to have a drink - but that's the case throughout Scandinavia.

If visiting the capital, surely you'll want to go out further to see the glaciers and geysers?

Thanks
    According to a couple of Everton fans I know who went there about 8 years ago it was £6 for a half of lager, but the women were beautiful.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Thanks
    A bit like Prague - but the other way round...

Thanks
    What, £6 for the girls but the lager was lovely? h34r:
    You should not confuse your career with your life.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Thanks
    Exactly

Thanks
    I was in Reyjkavik about 10 years ago. We went in November so there was a bit of snow and as you'd expect was fairly cold. Reyjkavik itself is a beautiful city with a frozen lake in the middle. The scenery was unlike anything I'd seen before, its a very barren landscape, make sure you get a window seat on the plane as the views are fantastic. I have to admit I wasn't at all impressed with the Blue Lagoon, although I can now say I've swam outside in a snowstorm in November. Not being impressed is possibly to do with falling there, I still have the scar to this day. It is expensive though, I remember a 2 litre bottle of coke costing over £3. Some of the food is also what you may call interesting, puffin and reindeer being among those delicacies on the menu. Finally, I wouldn't recommend going to the cinema, unless French films with Icelandic subtitles are your kind of thing.
    An eye for an eye, and the whole world would be blind. -
    Kahlil Gibran

Thanks
    I picked up a cheapy flight to Boston on Icelandair once, stopping midway at Keflavik Airport for 4 hours. The approach to what is a very long runway involved gazing at a brown, muddy-looking landscape, with some houses painted pink & yellow dotted along the coast. I can confirm that the beer was indeed expensive (about $4 for 1/2 a lager). :cry:

Since then a couple of friends of mine have visited, taking their time, amongst other things, to drive a 4x4 on a frozen lake. There is a story of the night out in a local restaurant with a rather average bottle of wine that cost £50.

Thanks
    'Spect you'll be able to get plenty of two for one deals there....
    Just Singin' the Blues ........

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Thanks
    AND THEY GOT AN OFFER ON FREEZERS TOO............

MINE WAS BASED ON THE STORE

obviously Jules was based on price? £50 a bottle ? must be a venture/deal we can do there and get a market going at more realistic prices?????

But no being serious, I have not been there, but my father who passed away years ago now, was based there in the last war for a year I think.....................
    [B]I once had a photographic memory which was never developed!! that's why I get such negative responses?[/B]
    [B]I used to play the sex organ but now I'm restricted to a YAMAHA...:confused:[/B]

Thanks
    Thanks for all the info people. We will almost definitely be visiting in late December between Christmas and New Year. Found a decent website with a good deal for 4 nights which gives us 3 full days to do stuff. I realise it is an expensive place but if you want to see these places, you have to live with that.

Cheers

Mark

Thanks
    You certainally do Markee - have a lovely time......
    #YourStorm
    Mr Brightside

All posts are based on the following:
    I know what I'm talking about/ I'm having a stab in the dark
    I'm bored/ You're an idiot and I'm poking you with sticks