Gone But Not Forgotten
    Thanks
    The Power Of Nightmares BBC2 - 9.00 pm

Thanks
    what about?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Nightmares and the power of them.
    "And still they gazed and still the wonder grew. That one small head could carry all he knew.

And that small head knew that Impaire Et Passe would win the Champion Hurdle."

Thanks
    Forget that and tune into Tim Lovejoy and the Allstars at ten on sky one
    I thankyou,

Thanks
    Arsenal's next victory about to start on Sky2

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Thanks
    From the BBC website:

The Power of Nightmares
    Wed 20 Oct, 9:00 pm - 10:00 pm 60mins

Baby It's Cold Outside

In the past our politicians offered us dreams of a better world. Now they promise to protect us from nightmares. The most frightening of these is the threat of an international terror network. But just as the dreams weren't true, neither are these nightmares.

This series shows dramatically how the idea that we are threatened by a hidden and organised terrorist network is an illusion. It is a myth that has spread unquestioned through politics, the security services and the international media. At the heart of the story are two groups: the American neoconservatives and the radical Islamists. Both were idealists who were born out of the failure of the liberal dream to build a better world. These two groups have changed the world but not in the way either intended. Together they created today's nightmare vision of an organised terror network. A fantasy that politicians then found restored their power and authority in a disillusioned age. Those with the darkest fears became the most powerful.

The rise of the Politics of Fear begins in 1949 with two men whose radical ideas would inspire the attack of 9/11 and influence the neoconservative movement that dominates Washington. Both these men believed that modern liberal freedoms were eroding the bonds that held society together. The two movements they inspired set out, in their different ways, to rescue their societies from this decay. But in an age of growing disillusion with politics, the neoconservatives turned to fear in order to pursue their vision. They would create a hidden network of evil run by the Soviet Union that only they could see. The Islamists were faced by the refusal of the masses to follow their dream and began to turn to terror to force the people to 'see the truth'.

solerina
    I was looking forward to watching this tonight. I can't understand how American voters are naive enough to vote Bush in again but I understand that alot of people will feel "what are are our war dead worth " if they change camp now . This is an excellent programme . The reminder that Rumsfeldt issued a similar warning about the Russians sent shivers down my spine .If people only realised what's going on in their name and for what ends . I really hope Kerry gets the election , not because he'll be any better but it would remove the neo conservatists from power and all their allies

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Not really Squallerina. Unfortunately. Their roots are deep and the influence is long.
    "And still they gazed and still the wonder grew. That one small head could carry all he knew.

And that small head knew that Impaire Et Passe would win the Champion Hurdle."

solerina
    I stayed up for the last election count and was gutted but I'll do the same here . Curiousity rather than belief unfortunately . I don't honestly think I like either candidate but I like the Chimpanzee less. I don't appreciate Kerry's attempts at understanding NI politics. From the statements I've read he clearly is not au fait with the situation . To me that means he did'nt do his homework and with a large anglo irish community worldwide it's one question he should have thought worth answering. You know it's a complex question

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Thanks
    "I don't appreciate Kerry's attempts at understanding NI politics"
    Possibly, but at least of the two candidates he knows where it is...

solerina
    You are quite right Brian I think the only timetable Bush follows is the Medicaid one . Time to take a pill Sir ?Shame that the rest ofAmericans are not as informed or empowered to look afrer THEIR health

solerina
    I agree with you Brian re: the American attiutude to NI. We don't have to acknowledge Bush . On our own again to defy the predudice and biogotry of G.W. Bush , not to mention his stupidity . If you are a high school grad the last person you would enlist is already primed

Thanks
    You'll get your wish Solerina, not that he will be that much of an improvement.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Thanks
    Part II was equally powerful. The CIA operative who was sent out to give backing to Osama bin Laden: "They gave him a billion dollars and the Stinger missiles."

This three parter should be compulsory viewing for every US citizen.