Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Passive Smoking - Time To Ban Smoking In Public

Ardross
    Passive smoking threat underlined

Passive smoking is harmful to health

Breathing in secondhand smoke massively increases the risk of lung cancer and heart disease, an official report by medical scientists shows.
    Ministers have sat on the results for months amid fears it will fuel calls for a ban on smoking in public places, claim campaigners.

They say there can now be no excuse for not introducing a total ban.

The Department of Health said the report contained no new evidence and simply pulled together available data.

The report shows that there is no longer any excuse to deny the health damage caused by secondhand smoke.

Deborah Arnott, director of Action on Smoking and Health

Passive smoking Q&A

The Scientific Committee on Tobacco and Health (SCOTH) reported to government four months ago. The leaked report updates their previous work warning of the health risks of passive smoking published in 1998.

Pro-smoking campaigners argue that the case against passive smoking has never been properly proved.

A study by the University of California published in the British Medical Journal in 2003 found that the link between environmental tobacco smoke and coronary heart disease and lung cancer may be considerably weaker than generally believed.

But the vast majority of research shows passive smoking is damaging to health, and SCOTH concluded that the evidence published since 1998 reinforced its earlier conclusions.

It is evident that no infant, child or adult should be exposed to secondhand smoke, the report concludes.

Ministers are preparing to publish their long-awaited Public Health White Paper next month, which is expected to include measures to limit smoking in public places but stop short of a total ban, covering all restaurants and pubs.

A spokesman from the Department of Health said: "Ministers are well aware of the strength of medical opinion on smoking, which has been publicly expressed in many reports and by many organisations, including the British Medical Association.

Total ban

"Far from ignoring or repressing this, health ministers have been actively engaged in clarifying aspects of the report.

"The Chief Medical Officer, Sir Liam Donaldson, recommended a ban on workplace smoking in his annual report last year.

"However demands for government action have to be balanced against the rights and responsibilities of individuals.

"John Reid, the Health Secretary, is committed to producing a White Paper on public health shortly which will address all these issues."

Professor John Britton, chair of the Royal College of Physicians' Tobacco Advisory Group, said: "The leaked SCOTH report confirms what all other health organisations have been telling the government over many years - that passive smoking causes death and disease, particularly in bar workers.

"There can now be no excuse for not introducing a total ban on smoking in enclosed public places as soon as possible. The successful ban in Ireland shows the way forward for the UK."

PASSIVE SMOKING RISKS
    The latest report says:
    Lung cancer increased by 24%
    Heart disease increased by 25%
    Damaging to infants - lung disease, sudden infant death and middle ear disease

Mr James Johnson, chairman of the British Medical Association, said: "It beggars belief that the Health Secretary is still talking about 'possible' health effects of second hand smoke. What other evidence does he need?"

Deborah Arnott, director of Action on Smoking and Health, said: "This report shows that Britain's leading medical experts have concluded that secondhand smoke is a serious risk to public health.

"It is deeply worrying that the government has sat on this for months; it should have been published in good time to inform debate around the public health White Paper.

"Remarkably, on TV yesterday, the Secretary of State for Health was still referring to the 'possible' health effects of secondhand smoke.

"The report shows that there is no longer any excuse to deny the health damage caused by secondhand smoke.

"It also shows the absurdity of exempting from any new law the very group of employees most exposed to risk.

"November's White Paper must follow the Irish model and end smoking in the workplace once and for all. The clear lesson of the report is that nothing less will do."

SCOTH said that overall exposure to second-hand smoke had declined as less people were smoking.

"However, some groups, for example bar staff, are heavily exposed at their place of work and almost half of all children still live in households with at least one smoker," they said.

Paul Burstow MP, Liberal Democrat Shadow Health Secretary, said: "Ministers should introduce a ban on smoking in enclosed public places to protect people working in bars and restaurants from the effects of second hand smoke."

The times has come - ban smoking in all public places now

Thanks
    I cant stand smoking it is not big and cool like many kids think when they begin and then go on to develop lung cancer as well as giving it to the rest of us.
    BAN IT NOW!!!!!! h34r:

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Thanks
    But:

Reid set to reject smoking ban

Press Association
    Tuesday October 19, 2004

The government indicated today it would not follow Ireland's lead in banning smoking in public places. Smoking has been illegal in workplaces - including pubs and restaurants - in the Irish Republic since March.

But the health secretary, John Reid, said Britain had to find its own answers to the problem of smoking. He said the government would not simply copy what other countries have done.

"The status quo is not an option on smoking," he said.

"The majority of people in this country are not smokers and they want to work and enjoy their leisure in an atmosphere which is not afflicted with cigarette smoke.

"I will try to do that in a way that will try to balance people's rights in this country. And while I can learn from other countries I will not transpose automatically what other countries have done to people in England. We have to find our own way of doing things."

Dr Reid was speaking after a leaked report yesterday said no infant, child or adult should be exposed to passive smoking because of the "substantial" health hazards.

The Scientific Committee on Tobacco and Health (Scoth) report to the government confirmed that second-hand smoke significantly increases the risk of lung cancer and heart disease.

The pro-smoking lobby and the tobacco industry have disputed claims that passive smoking is a significant danger to non-smokers.

But the leaked report by some of Britain's top medical scientists concluded that "second-hand smoke represents a substantial public health hazard".

Ministers are preparing to publish their long-awaited public health white paper next month. It is widely expected to include measures to limit smoking in public places but stop short of a total ban, covering all restaurants and pubs.

Campaigners say the majority of the public back a public smoking ban and accuse the government of inaction over the issue.

Ardross
    Reid a recently reluctantly retired heavy smoker who says that it is about the only pleasure for some members of the working classes - W****R

Thanks
    Smoking in public places is banned here, as it is in the Irish Republic .

Now the discussion has moved on to smoking in vehicles when children are present, so the sooner they implement that, the better.

Thanks
    In this world of the extreme it is clearly intolerable that an old fella whose social life, such that he can afford, consists of going down the 'Legion' two or three times a week and over long drawn out halves meets his friends and smokes a small number of hand rolled cigarettes as he has done for years. No matter if all the other people in that particular 'legion' find this acceptable, even the staff, it cannot be allowed. Clearly the ignorant fools don't understand that, directly and passively, it kills them. Obviously we haven't publicized that fact enough. Anyway their illnesses clog up the NHS and make our clothes smell if we decide we must go that that particular legion. Oh, and of course they are in a minority.

Mind you we should let the old buggers keep their beer and even let them drink wine, or spirits as they more probably drink. Alcohol doesn't harm them and whoever heard of passive drinking,huh. The Government would not allow all those adverts, especially those lifestyle ones on the telly.Could you imagine it? The health people would have stopped all the race sponsorship by the industry if it was harmful.
    Alcohol a health problem, not at all. I've even read that a glass or two of wine is good for you and hey, look at the French they almost make it compulsory in schools. I know that there are a few thousands killed or badly injured on the roads every year because of it but that's only a small minority of mindless idiots and the number dying from liver problems only have themselves to blame for excess.Alcohol driven violence and damage, well thats's exaggerated anyway I don't see much of that in the pubs I go in and it doesn't impact on me as much as that vile smoking, again its the mindless minority.

Don't give me all that tosh about child and spousal abuse caused by alcohol. Where's the proof? Well statistics can prove anything and I should know. Enough now, did you see that Minister implying that he might seek seek a way that we allow some tolerance to some smokers -well what do you expect from an ex-heavy smoker.Thank God those that might have to decide on alcohol have probably never had too much to drink in their lives.

Thanks

Kathy
    I heard on the news yesterday that Liverpool wants to become the first City to ban smoking in all public places.

Thanks
    the city council passed it in a meeting on Wednesday evening Kathy. It has to go to government to be implemented, but by all accounts it will come into affect in about 12 months time.
    You should not confuse your career with your life.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Thanks
    My thoughts are its only a matter of time, before smoking is banned in every place in BRITAIN as stated earlier on the thread, WORKPLACE/TRAINS/BUSES/AEROPLANES. I dont smoke myself and i dont object to anybody that smokes.

regards.

TERRY.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Thanks
    So will the phrase "Gizza ciggy, la" disappear from the face of the earth?

Thanks
    You should not confuse your career with your life.

Thanks
    I'm not and never have been a smoker and, to be honest, would class myself as an anti-smoker. This probably has it's origins in that both my parents smoked when I was younger - although my father would rarely smoke in front of the kids.

I have been delighted with the results since the smoking ban has been in place here in Ireland and the real joy of it was highlighted when I went to France for the Prix de l'Arc. On our vert first night we went looking for somewhere to eat and ended up in a restaurant in the Latin Quarter of Paris.

I'm now convinced that 99% of Parisians smoke. The place filled with smoke as almost the entire restaurant lit up. Not being used to it anymore, I nearly choked in the place. It's just not comfortable trying to eat while all the tables around you are smoking.

As much opposition as there was to it before it was implemented, I think it's been a God send!

Thanks
    Tout Seul - have you packed it up?

I remember you saying you were going on Cessation Courses earlier this year but haven't heard anything since - or more likely missed the post!

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Thanks
    Ho yes agree it should be banned everywhere having smoked from the age of 13 ? or thereabouts............ but gave up 12 yrs ago tried it all (legal that is) pipe, cigars, cigs so am in a position to now condemn................
    [B]I once had a photographic memory which was never developed!! that's why I get such negative responses?[/B]
    [B]I used to play the sex organ but now I'm restricted to a YAMAHA...:confused:[/B]

Thanks
    I now smoke very occasionally- when I get uptight.Probably 20 in a week.Unfortunately this topic gets me uptight,
    I can't stand someone smoking when I'm eating , I don't really like smoke filled rooms (cos they make me want to smoke), and I always tried to have consideration for others when I smoked often asking 'would you mind if I smoked'.If the answer was anything but purely positive I didn't smoke. However if there is a group of consenting adults,including staff, who purchase a pub or club mainly for the purpose of having a social smoke I see no reason why they should be prevented from doing so.
    In my view the absolute bans on smoking in public places are abuses of civil liberties and as my post above seeks to demonstrate rank hypocrisy when compared to the attitude to alcohol by most of the proponents of total smoking bans.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Thanks
    I've got a great business idea - let's start a chain of "smoke-easies" similar to the speak-easies in the USA during the prohibition years.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

In my view the absolute bans on smoking in public places are abuses of civil liberties

i agree
    Pinnacle Chauffeur Transport
    www.yourchauffeur.co.uk

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Thanks
    Brian you mean you want to be the AL CAPONE of the smoke houses...... or the ELLIOT NESS?.................

Well Laurence depending if your a smoker or non smoker the boot is on the other foot , so to speak? so you aint going to please all!!! either way, and if its has stated, detrimental to someones life who don't even smoke in my opinion it needs to be banned en block.........

Put another way you have made a valliant effort to kick the habit (and have managed to reduce it, brilliant) iF GIVEN AN ULTIMATUM THAT IF YOU DID NOT GIVE IT UP YOU'LL BE DEAD IN SAY 6 MONTHS...... hypothetical ? yes but I feel sure that, that would then prompt you to give it up right away am I correct?......

But these people who don't and have never smoked, have not got that option they have to inhale your passive smoke regardless.............. just a thought!!!
    [B]I once had a photographic memory which was never developed!! that's why I get such negative responses?[/B]
    [B]I used to play the sex organ but now I'm restricted to a YAMAHA...:confused:[/B]

Thanks
    Great idea Brian! We could call them betting shops or gambling dens.

Actually if they were allowed you culd have a old jazz piaino player, a sultry blonde singer etc etc. We'd be rich but probably would turn people back on to cigarrettes,

Thinking further they don't arrest now for pot smoking so we could allow that as well. Imagine getting nicked for having a fag when the guy next door gets away with smoking a joint.