Thread: Panorama 10-15 Tonight Sun; 17th

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Thanks
    I think this could be an interesting programme and give people an insight that goes on daily and not just in the inner cities either, but affecting all of us in all walks of life too......................
    [B]I once had a photographic memory which was never developed!! that's why I get such negative responses?[/B]
    [B]I used to play the sex organ but now I'm restricted to a YAMAHA...:confused:[/B]

Derek.Burgess
    Good program.

A great advertisement for the way that we bring our children up in this country.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Thanks
    Well it seems that a lot of parents half lost control? But does this again reflect on the non discipline in schools too?......

I just this minute looked out of my window to see kids on their school lunch break trying to do as much damage as possible i.e. stone throwing (seems the in thing to do down this neck of the woods) and coke (as in coke-cola) tins/cans after being flattened by the traffic they use these as projectiles, so you can imagine if one of those hit you, end on cant you !! Or your window or car or your child?...........

But a must is to bring back the teacher!! in charge!! Syndrome, and take this attitude out of the kids!! but how do you do it ?

There were always rebellious kids in every school but they were the minority, not as now, the majority!!!................

It’s a bit like the law factor or the non!! law factor, Labour says it’s a priority and will be tackled? What have they been doing in the last 7 years then!!! While in power?
    [B]I once had a photographic memory which was never developed!! that's why I get such negative responses?[/B]
    [B]I used to play the sex organ but now I'm restricted to a YAMAHA...:confused:[/B]

Thanks
    Give the little bastards a damn good hiding, every day, whether they need it or not. Never did me any harm.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Thanks
    While it is a issue of importance and one not to be made light of, we need to keep it in perspective. Understandably, the research by serious programme-makers such as those behind Panorama can cause concerns that lead to comments similar to Derek's "A great advertisement for the way that we bring our children up in this country".

Superintendent Stephen Grieve, the senior Lothian and Borders Police officer who appeared on last night's programme, said that the five existing knife laws, dating back to 1953, were too complicated and needed to be streamlined and brought into the twenty-first century. Perhaps it should be mentioned that a recent stop-and-search operation of 2000 people in Edinburgh recovered just 75 weapons.

Banned
    Thanks
    Can I surely be the only one concerned that we are living in a country where weapons are illegal yet we can be content that only 75 people were carrying weapons, around 3.75%??

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Thanks
    I don't understand your question, PDJ. Weapons are illegal - quite rightly so. There has been an increase in the number of young people, particularly in ceertain areas, who carry knives - this has to be addressed.

But, to study some reactions to the report - and then the Panorama programme - particularly in the tabloid press, you would think that it's 3.75% who were not found to have a knife in their possession.

Thanks
    I agree with PDJ. 75 out of 2000 is a lot higher than I would have expected. I would imagine to get that figure it must have been far from random.

Thanks
    The root cause has to be what kind of child is presented to the school.
    When they reach school age they are already undisciplined and respect no one.

I look on teachers today as people who have to try to undo the above faults whilst trying to teach and would imagine it to be the most stressful job around.

Banned
    Thanks
    Nah, it's a piece of cake!!

Brian, I agree that to believe the tabloids you would think what you say is true. I do still believe that the number is scarily high.

Derek.Burgess
    Young kids should not be carrying knives around with them for use in fights at school.

Children are mostly a mirror image of thier parents,after all they spend thier formative years watching and picking up thier good habits.The opposite is also true.

By the time they arrive at school age they are programmed for to go one of two ways.

Discipline at an early age could pre-empt a lot of the nasty traits.

Thanks
    Discipline and respect is what is missing, but when you look at the parents and how they shy away from their responsibilities, what chance has the child got. I think teachers are generally not of the calibre of when I went to school, but they are also on a hiding to nothing, especially when they don't get the support of the parents.

There are many reasons for the decline, but discipline and direction at home has to be the primary reason. By discipline, I'm not referring to a big stick and a mouth washed out with soap, but by building a relationship and interacting with your child from day one, should in theory pay dividends throughout the coming years. A child left alone for hours in front of the TV or playing video games, does nothing to educate them on any values of life. I wonder sometimes why some couples bother to have childen.

Thanks
    Put simply Griff they are mostly the produce of a quick sh*g and rarely planned.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Thanks
    Yep certainly a lot in this neighbourhood I am not sure if the police have any input on where certain (unsavoury) individuals are housed (council houses/housing associations, that is) but on looking at the stock in this area I am getting to/of the opinion that they concentrate all these type of people in certain 1 off or possibly 2 off places in large cities...

Its actually logical if you try and equate it, it means the police do not have to be running all over the city when they have them in a couple of places, which they know they can police, rather than having them spread throughout any city no I am not being paranoid but looking to find why there is so many arseholes been put in here (the Bronx) but there again it possibly applies to your city/town but the general standards/manners of people have certainly plummeted in say the last dozen years or so(was MAGGIE responsible for this?)................

Or is it just the demise of the population? it certainly needs a long look at, as it becomes breeding grounds for this type of person and the chances of them bettering themselves seem very remote!!

This does not apply to everyone on this estate mind, (only a minority and your well ad versed in the old adage) but with 4 schools in a 1/2 [] mile(which are fed from outside this area as well) that certainly brings this place down to earth with a very large bump and is a major cause of disruption at least three times daily mon-fri (today LUNCHTIME 4 school kids on a motorbike no helmets and on the road where all the rest are walking to and from the shops) .......

Its again an emotive subject we could debate for longer than the roosters thread? but someone somewhere can see, what you and I see daily in our travels they all cant be blind!! can they?................or maybe just maybe they don't want to see it.