Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ken Bigley murdered

Thanks
    It has been reported by official sources in Iraq that the hostage Mr Bigley has been murdered.

p.s. yes I know it should be Connolly

Thanks
    Very,very sad.No doubt Connolly will be sending the family his sincere condolensces.

Thanks
    Very sad news if it's true - I'm afraid the Connolly reference means nothing to me - can someone explain please?

Thanks
    at a show somewhere it was widely reported that he said in reference to Mr Bigley " I don't know about you but I wish they would just get on with it"

someone in the audience then stood up and retorted " but you are talking about someones life Billy"

BC replied " F**K off"

He then went on to make a remark about Mr Bigleys Thai wife.

Thanks
    If true it's very sad but was also almost inevitable.

However, the risk was always there - why else would they be paid so much to work in Iraq - and therefore Mr Bigley's family would do well to stop throwing accusations about and just preserve a dignified silence and mourn in private.
    Just Singin' the Blues ........

Thanks
    He has/had worked for a middle eastern company for 7 years so was not an opportunist.

Songsheet, maybe you would think differently if you were one of the family, we live in a terrorist era where mostly innocent people are losing their lives due to political agendas.

Ardross
    The BBC at present say it is unconfirmed .The only thing that surprises me is that it is Abu Dhabi TV rather than it appearing on a website and being handed to Al Jazeera

Thanks
    A video has now been released of Mr Bigley reading out a statement with militants stood behind him, after he read the statement he was beheaded.

Thanks
    The way he has been treated is indefensible - there can be no disagreement with that.

But no one made Mr Bigley go out there (not that I am aware of, anyway) and again, he wasn't out there as a charity/Aid worker either. He went there to earn more money than he presumably could in the UK. That was a calculated risk he no doubt didn't think he would end up paying for. So what if he's worked for Middle Eastern companies previously? Most people that I have known who've worked in the Middle East have done so because they earn far more than they do here and don't pay tax - what's not opportunist about that!?

Of course his family were going to make every effort they could do achieve his release and I certainly don't blame them for doing so but - and this is a huge but - everyone knows the terms upon which foreign nationals operate on in countries such as these. Mr Bigley's family seem reasonably intelligent and they aren't blind - they knew when he went out there that this government would not be seen to do deals with terrorists (which isn't the same as saying they never have or never will - just that it won't be in the public domain) and working in Iraq was hugely risky as a British national.

I am not saying he deserved his fate - anything but - no one deserves to be kept in terror as he obviously was - it's just I can't be surprised or even shocked that it's happened.

I just feel a whole lot sorrier for the families of those men in the Armed Forces who have died in Iraq, because they joined up in the belief that serving in the Armed Forces means defending your country and knowing that you may pay the ultimate price doing so, not invading another country illegally, under false pretences and then dying because of two power-crazed politicians with an eye to the main chance. Now they do have a just grievance in my book!
    Just Singin' the Blues ........

Thanks
    Songsheet, I can reply to you re what someone who enlists can expect but cannot be bothered....

I just hope that you are never in the same position as anyone in the Bigley family.

Holier than thou springs to mind.

Thanks
    I find it difficult to believe how anybody cannot be "shocked" by the beheading of an innocent man.

Banned
    Thanks
    I cannot say I agree with you here, Julie.

everyone knows the terms upon which foreign nationals operate on in countries such as these
    That implies that the entire Arab world is unsafe for Westerners, a fact that Jon will certainly not agree with. I applied for a job in Kuwait last year, partly for monetary reasons and partly to gain life experience. Had I been abducted and killed, I would like to think I would not be slagged for going and that there would be sadness when I die.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Thanks
    and the statement made by B/C was a cruel blow..... I supposed he was pissed again on stage??.....also to belittle the guys wife is not on either..............

But these people are for real!! they are brought up with different values!! to westerners and to die doing what they are doing is martydom to these people, they are fanatics through and through................
    [B]I once had a photographic memory which was never developed!! that's why I get such negative responses?[/B]
    [B]I used to play the sex organ but now I'm restricted to a YAMAHA...:confused:[/B]

Banned
    Thanks
    Originally posted by Merlin the Magician@Oct 8 2004, 07:49 PM
    But these people are for real!! they are brought up with different values!! to westerners and to die doing what they are doing is martydom to these people, they are fanatics through and through................
    These people? Dangerous ground here, Merlin. Better care with your expressions would be advisable I venture to say.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Thanks
    pardon?????????????? who you talking too?

Its common knowledge broadcast on( all news media) how come you see them as different when the world wide consensus says it daily, hourly, by the minute............
    that these people are fanatics I cant see no reason why I can't call them the same as everyone else calls them?...........................
    [B]I once had a photographic memory which was never developed!! that's why I get such negative responses?[/B]
    [B]I used to play the sex organ but now I'm restricted to a YAMAHA...:confused:[/B]

Banned
    Thanks
    My question is to whom you are referring as "These people?"

Thanks
    Not good news, sympathies to the family.

Unfortunately the situation in Iraq is getting out of hand and the Iraqi extremists are aware now that they can, literally, kidnap people and execute them without fear of retribution. What can be done about this I really do not know, but something has to be done or the situation will only escalate.

I think that those of you who are arguing about Songsheet's post have escaped the point she is trying to make - I have no doubt whatsoever that she finds the situation deplorable but she also makes a very good point. Ken Bigley stayed in Iraq to work when he knew he was living in a war zone and that as a British National, he would be unsafe. I'd like to point out that this will have no doubt been against the advice of the Foreign Office, who publish lists of places they have advised against travel to, both on the internet and on teletext. The situation that arose was both horrendous & unforgivable, but Ken Bigley and his family also knew that by remaining in Iraq against FO recommendations his life was in a great deal of danger. In case anyone is interested, here is what the FO currently have to say about British Nationals in Iraq - Foreign Office Advice
    Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess.

False face must hide what the false heart doth know.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Thanks
    The people doing the beheading I thought that was quite obvious Paul..... but feel you could have thought me as referring to your thread, as it was not on here when I started writing and I was interrupted by a phone call WITHOUT SEEING YOUR THREAD.... sods law ?

Thanks
    I can understand people disagreeing with the war, even if I don't agree with them. However, I also think that those who hold that view need to realise that these murders are designed to cause exactly the reaction seen in this country since poor Bigley was kidnapped. If you don't agree with the war then fine, but we are in Iraq now and walking away isn't a realistic option, so we should be united in the battle to prevent these murderers from getting what they want.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Thanks
    7-48 yours 7-49 mine!!!!!!!!!& #33;!!!!! oh sorry John oh thats o/k Paul!!!!!