Thread: Bad Bad Red Wine

Thanks
    I have four bottles of a terrible, undrinkable red wine filling up my cupboard. Not being one who likes to throw anything out when it could have any other possible use, what else can I do with it?

Your suggestions, however strange would be welcomed.
    An eye for an eye, and the whole world would be blind. -
    Kahlil Gibran

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Thanks
    most obvious thing being? to cook with it? doubt you could wash in it? soak feet in it? a possible one!! but difficult to explain to the boss (the red feet) unless wanting a few days sickie....

I bought some RED the other day Merlot (Chilean) and Australian shiraz but aint got a clue what they are like 13% proof................
    [B]I once had a photographic memory which was never developed!! that's why I get such negative responses?[/B]
    [B]I used to play the sex organ but now I'm restricted to a YAMAHA...:confused:[/B]

Thanks
    mix it with elderflower presse - works for most things.......
    #YourStorm
    Mr Brightside

All posts are based on the following:
    I know what I'm talking about/ I'm having a stab in the dark
    I'm bored/ You're an idiot and I'm poking you with sticks

Ardross
    Triptych - when you say bad what did it taste like - if it was a musty mouldy smell and taste it was corked and the others might be Ok . If it tasted burnt it was oxidised - if it tasted acidic and horrible it is crap .

Perhaps you have tried more than one - if it is terrible then anything you cook with it is likely to be terrible .

Where did you get it from ? i would take it back if it is that disgusting

Ardross
    Drinking Wine Can Ward Off Alzheimer's - 07-Oct-2004

New Japanese research could explain why drinking wine appears to prevent the onset of Alzheimer's. Scientists have found compounds that inhibit an enzyme implicated in the disease.
    Dr Michikatsu Sato, based at a government-funded alcohol R&D centre, has uncovered small peptides present in both red and white wines that inhibit the PEP enzyme, implicated in the pathology of Alzheimer's disease. It is still unknown if these peptides can be extracted from wine and whether they have a preventative effect on the disease in humans. But the research, to be presented next month at the World Nutra Conference in San Francisco, offers some hope for the increasing numbers of elderly with memory loss and Alzheimer's.

There are currently nearly 18 million people with dementia in the world, and the most common cause of this dementia is Alzheimer's disease. By 2025 this figure will rise to 34 million, with 71% of these likely to live in developing countries. The findings support previous evidence that people who drink alcohol regularly have a lower risk of the disease and other types of senility.

Banned
    Thanks
    Fantastic news!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 620 Posts
    If is is still drinkable & not genuinely off - it will do fine as mulled wine. I often use up any left overs - just add enough sugar, spices such as cinnamon, the odd clove, ginger etc and the odd slug of brandy helps & then heat it up with boiling it.
    tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito

Kathy
    ... or just give it to guests you don't like, and you have yours out of the nicer bottle hidden in the back of the cupboard!

Thanks
    The wine is from Tesco and has to be the second worst wine I have ever tasted. Second only to the small bottle of Cretan wine I was charged €4 euros for on a flight to Crete this summer. I've tried opening 2 bottles and they're both as bad as the other so I think it is just genuinely bad wine.
    I'm going to take up jinnyj's idea and make lots of mulled wine with it, as soon as I've got some cinammon sticks in Asda tomorrow.
    Oh, and its called J Calvet Bordeaux Medoc 2002 in case anyone wants to know what to avoid. Serves me right for buying half price wine.
    An eye for an eye, and the whole world would be blind. -
    Kahlil Gibran

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Thanks
    oh thank god for that phew!!! Tryptich

I thought you were going to say it was Chilean Merlot or Australian Shiraz I recently bought from LIDL not (8 bottles) knowing anything regards red (other than the colour) and white(being clear )

As I have stated its normally Guinness or a good real ale I drink as I have not opened a bottle as yet I really thought ho no its what I bought you are going to say........
    [B]I once had a photographic memory which was never developed!! that's why I get such negative responses?[/B]
    [B]I used to play the sex organ but now I'm restricted to a YAMAHA...:confused:[/B]

Thanks
    Well, I'd take it back, Trptych, - half price or not!
    Just Singin' the Blues ........

Ardross
    i agree - 2002 was a very patchy year in bordeaux but if it is that crap take it back.

I am quite surprised as Calvet , although a negociant ( merchant ) that used to have a bad reputation , has smartened up its act in recent years. The French do like to drink their bordeaux much earlier than we do - so if it was inky , tannic and coating the mouth with not much evident fruit it might just be much too young