Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guinness & Lemonade - Who Drinks That?

Thanks
    We had a surprise guest at the racing club last night and this celebrity asked for Guinness and lemonade.

Anyone ever heard of that before???

Ardross
    What is that ? An Irish shandy ?

solerina
    Guinness and champagne is the only kosher mix I know of . That's a Black Velvet .

Thanks
    Thanked 4,128 Times in 2,052 Posts
    The practice of drinking Guinness with lemonade is rumoured to have started with the New Zealand rugby team, during a British tour. After a game, they ordered Guinness and lemonade (in mistake for bitter shandy), and found it extremely refreshing.
    Some say this is how they became known as the All Blacks, but it seems most unlikely.
    "The owls are not what they seem"

Thanks
    Thanked 4,128 Times in 2,052 Posts
    Here's some other mixes

Top Hat

A popular drink in the '30s was Guinness and ginger beer. It celebrated the famous dancing partnership of Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers. The black-and-white Guinness symbolises Fred Astaire's top hat and tails, and ginger beer Ginger Rogers.
    ('Top Hat' was also perhaps their most successful film performance together.)

Trojan Horse

It looks like Guinness from the outside, but if you're a dedicated Guinness drinker, the taste in there may take you by surprise. Because this is Guinness mixed with cola!
    If the cola is ice-cold, it makes a refreshing Summer's drink, and creates some unusual sensations in your mouth.

Calcutta Cup

Guinness mixed with Indian Tonic Water. In the days of the Empire, the British in India used to add tonic water to their Guinness. (The quinine in the tonic was supposed to be protection against malaria.)
    The drink was named after the Calcutta Cup, which in those days was a coveted polo trophy.

Guinness Tan

Guinness and bitter. The 'Hare and Tortoise' drink: a slow, leisurely half of Guinness, mixed with a quick, refreshing half of bitter.
    It's the ideal drink if you want more than just a 'quick one', but haven't got time to really enjoy a pint of Guinness. It goes down quick, slow, quick, quick, slow....

Blacksmith

Guinness mixed with barley wine. A particularly strong concoction this, hence the name 'Blacksmith'. (Although if someone tells you that Guinness contains barley as well as hops, yeast and water, chances are they're not referring to this particular drink.)

Red Head

Guinness and tomato juice. Like that other red head, Scarlett O'Hara of 'Gone With The Wind' fame, it's a tantalising, intriguing and quite unpredictable mixture. It takes all the smooth charm of the tomato to tame the proud, independent taste of the Guinness. And even then it never quite succeeds!

Two-lane Blacktop

Guinness with American Dry Ginger. 'Two-lane Blacktop' is the American slang for a road. Possibly the drink was given this name because the only way to take it is at high speed....

Snake Bite

Guinness and cider. So called after an unusual event which took place in the last century. Apparently, the apple crop in the West Country was devastated by a plague of hungry snakes, which led to grave shortages. To solve this problem, the locals used Guinness to boost their meagre cider rations. To their delight, they found that the dry, lively taste of the Guinness made the ideal partner for the sweet taste of their 'usual'.
    So nowadays, when they drink cider in the West Country, they often add a Guinness.

Guinness and Mild

This is one of the oldest and most popular of the Guinness mixes. The strong, dry taste of the Guinness is balanced by the smooth taste of the mild.

Wasp Sting

Guinness mixed with orange juice (preferably freshly-squeezed and chilled). So called because the colours of Guinness and orange juice are the same as a wasp's. Incidentally, black and yellow are danger signals in nature, and after tasting this drink we can understand why....

Longship

Guinness and lager. When the Vikings invaded Britain they came in elaborately carved boats (called longships). They also brought their own pale beer - lager - which they mixed with our dark, different beer.
    The Vikings found the result so pleasing, they decided to stay here permanently.

Midnight

Guinness with a dash of port. Believed to originate from the Royal Flying Corps.
    It seems that after dinner, some of the officers took to drinking Guinness instead of port. The Guinness decanter was passed anti-clockwise round the table, while the port, as usual, was passed round clockwise. Once, the two decanters happened to meet at the head of the table (Guinness at twelve o'clock&#33. The officer in that position absent-mindedly poured both drinks into his glass, and found the result quite enjoyable.

Light 'n' Dark

This is Guinness mixed with light ale. The dark colour of the Guinness makes the light look darker. And similarly, the light taste of the light makes the dark Guinness taste lighter. And vice versa.
    They say the drink gave its name to 'lighting up time', because the lamplighter used to perform his duties just as it was getting dark. (It's all quite simple, really.)

Guinness and Lime

A new variation of the popular 'lager and lime'. The effect, however, is quite different. The strong, distinctive taste of a bottle of Guinness dominates the lime, which merely adds a touch of smoothness to the beer.

Sensible Shoes

Guinness laced with brown ale. 'Sensible Shoes' refers to the colour of the two drinks (black and brown). The strong, dry taste of Guinness keeps in perfect step with the rather sweeter taste of the brown ale. An excellent drink when you want to sit down in the pub and take the weight off your feet.

Tumbril

Guinness, port, brandy and champagne....in one glass! This terrifying drink is supposed to be a cure for hangovers, but we take no responsibility for the consequences if you should try it.
    It is called a Tumbril because you only get into it if you feel like death.

Black Velvet

Guinness mixed fifty-fifth with champagne. This famous drink was invented in 1861 at Brooks's Club in London. Prince Albert had died, everyone was in mourning, and the story goes that the steward at the club, overcome with the emotion of the occasion, ordered that even the champagne should be put into mourning, and proceeded to mix it with Guinness. The taste was so delicious, Black Velvet became extremely popular.

Black 'n' Black

Guinness and blackcurrant. A lot of women have taken to adding blackcurrant to their drinks, and our black beer is no exception. They find the taste of the blackcurrant makes Guinness not just something they like to be seen with, but something they enjoy drinking, too.
    "The owls are not what they seem"

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Thanks
    More likely to have been invented by Barbarians

Thanks
    Guiness and lemonade is a bugger to pour though!!
    #YourStorm
    Mr Brightside

All posts are based on the following:
    I know what I'm talking about/ I'm having a stab in the dark
    I'm bored/ You're an idiot and I'm poking you with sticks

Thanks
    uggghhhhh...even the smell of Guiness is enough to put me off!!!!
    Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess.

False face must hide what the false heart doth know.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Thanks
    It is time to reveal the identity of the mystery celebrity, terry

Thanks
    hmmmmmm......I know Stef Higgins, can't see it being her....even though she's married to Lukey I can't see it being Georgie Harvey....now, Mandy Bowlby I can see it being.....

Gearoid
    The trick to pulling Guiness and lemonade is to put a dab of water in the glass first to kill the fizz of the lemonade.

btw. A snakebite is larger/cider. A poor mans black velvet is Guiness/cider.

Thanks
    Gearoid - I put the Guinness in first. Wrong?

It was a small glass, cold Draughtflow can and White's lemonade.

Who was it Brian? Came to see Mrs Bowlby in action.

Thanks
    My mum drank Guinness Original with lemonade whilst I was still a sucking infant (for the iron content, you understand).

Thanks
    I had guinness and lemonade once. I can't remember what it was like, but since I didn't have it again, I presume I didn't like it.

Thanks
    Aha, Terry....must've been the luverly Mrs P!

Thanks
    Yes indeed. Mr P had Guinness and Mrs P had it with lemonade.

Thanks
    How is Stef nowadays, Terry? Haven't seen her for years, not since before she got married. She seems to be doing a good job with the training, then again she was always a good horsewoman.

Thanks
    Stef was great. I was very impressed by her. She looks sure to go onto better things.

She doesn't give much away either!

Thanks
    I can imagine! She's got a brain in her head, & she's a good horsewoman so hopefully she will go far, I reckon she probably will.

CPGagie
    I've tried a few of those. Most people are suprised how nice a Guinness with a Tia Maria thrown in is. Theres usually someone wanting a slurp out of curiousity if I decided to go for a slow pint. Nice to wind the night down with.