Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice/help sort

Thanks
    Thanked 1,224 Times in 927 Posts
    Blog Entries
    GG, please, please you must clear yourself of all this for your own well-being. I’d go back to the hospital almoner and find out to whom she/he refers the death certificate and associated paperwork when they have done their bit for the funeral. Then I’d write to whoever that is outlining the facts, enclosing the house keys and tell them it’s not your responsibility to take things further and if it’s not theirs then pass it on to the appropriate authority. Then sing Queen’s “I want to break free”

Thanks
    Barjon, thank you but I registered the death as the hospital told me I could even though only a friend. The registrar didn't say I couldn't either - but she did tell me I could go on the Tell Us Once website and I absolutely could not. It is very specific as to who can report a death and who cannot. The woman at government department also said I could have used this - I said you read it, no I could not. I don't have the keys now, I put them back through the letterbox. The government department lady told me to go with a locksmith and get the locks changed and keep the new keys. I quite frankly can't believe that is legal.. there are coppers at my livery yard, I will ask them as surely that's breaking and entering?
    We, my friend and I, know there is nothing we can do about the house/estate but the house was full, and I mean full, of books, dvds, cds, clothes - you wouldn't believe the amount of clothes- which we could , if nothing else, give to charities.
    The other almost awful thought is that if I wasn't bothered, no one would be and the house etc would just sit there for who knows how long? The hospital staff told me they would have advertised for a month and if no one came forward, would have arranged a cremation, but they would have nothing to do with the estate. Again how is that right? They surely should report it to some official department?
    All very depressing. Even if anyone has no relatives, or hates all of them and doesn't want them to have anything when you are gone, if you haven't made a will, please do it. Plenty of organisations will do it for free as I know money tight.
    Vote Alfie!!!!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    “If the deceased has died intestate without known blood entitled relatives the estate of the deceased passes to the Crown. The Treasury Solicitor acts for the Crown to administer the estate”

“Refer a deceased person's estate to the Treasury Solicitor -
    Notify the Bona Vacantia division that a person has died without leaving a will or any known blood relatives.”

Dunno if this will help, GG, but you will have followed the “right” procedure.

Thanks
    Yes but someone has to report it and there's no obligation in place for that to be a hospital/hospice/police ( if body found at home/suspicious circumstances) etc. There's nothing that states any emergency service have to report a death to anyone other than local authority if no one comes forward etc. Nothing about assets or bank accounts etc .
    I'm going to scan the docs to the government department, ask them to confirm in writing that I can get a locksmith and if they do, we will go back in. If they don't, then that's really the end of it as far as I can see. Easier said than done to just let it go though.
    Vote Alfie!!!!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by G-G View Post
    Yes but someone has to report it and there's no obligation in place for that to be a hospital/hospice/police ( if body found at home/suspicious circumstances) etc. There's nothing that states any emergency service have to report a death to anyone other than local authority if no one comes forward etc. Nothing about assets or bank accounts etc .
    I'm going to scan the docs to the government department, ask them to confirm in writing that I can get a locksmith and if they do, we will go back in. If they don't, then that's really the end of it as far as I can see. Easier said than done to just let it go though.
    Why not just send a letter explaining the circumstances - with keys enclosed - to The Treasury Solicitor, Bona Vacantia Division and leave it to them?

Thanks
    It's the Bona Vacantia personnel telling me should have, should do etc. Well the one I spoke to this time is. The one I spoke to last year told me I had no rights etc and couldn't /shouldn't have done anything.
    Vote Alfie!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,243 Times in 632 Posts
    I’ve been thinking more about this. I frequent a platform called Reddit (for my sins!) and there are sub forums on just about every subject you care to think about (and an awful lot more that you definitely wouldn’t!). Anyway I went on there for some advice a few years ago and have found it useful especially for stuff like my framing business queries and also when I had a problem with my Saab convertible.

Anyway there is a sub forum on there called r/LegalAdviceUK. And there are some very knowledgeable people on there. It wouldn’t hurt to post on there and see what people suggest. I know there are several lawyers that frequent it (if they’re not legally trained they will indicate they aren’t) but it’s worth a shot?

Its actually a fascinating platform to be on...the Tinder one can be hilarious and I can waste hours on there laughing.
    tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jinnyj For This Useful Post:

G-G (30th July 2023)

Thanks
    I need some advice/help.

So, I have a Vax Blade 3 Vacuum Cleaner and it works fine but I can't charge the Battery. My question is how do I find out if I need a new charging unit or a new Battery. Logically it should be the former because the Vac does work but how to be sure?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Euronymous View Post
    I need some advice/help.

So, I have a Vax Blade 3 Vacuum Cleaner and it works fine but I can't charge the Battery. My question is how do I find out if I need a new charging unit or a new Battery. Logically it should be the former because the Vac does work but how to be sure?
    I'm sure you've looked already, but this is pretty comprehensive.

Vax Battery Not Charging? Here's How to Fix It (appliancehunter.co.uk)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to simmo For This Useful Post:

Euronymous (24th August 2023)