Thread: WTF is happening in my country?

Thanks

WTF is happening in my country?

Awful news about a 9 year old girl dying from multiple stab wounds in Boston. No not in the US but Lincolnshire!

The Times stated:

In 2016 figures published by the Home Office showed that Boston was the worst place for homicides in England, with a rate of 15 murder-related crimes for every 100,000 people.

Thanks
    Wonder the same thing myself daily. Shocking news that thoughts with the family.

Spent around 6 months fishing the Boston drains never particularly thought it was a rough area but then compared to where I grew up nothing ever seems too bad.
    Man who catch fly with chopstick .... accomplish anything.

Thanks
    Apparently the area has a very high immigrant population from various European countries and there is tension not just between them and the locals but among each other.
    I'll tip my hat to the new constitution
    Take a bow for the new revolution

Thanks
    Thanked 3,483 Times in 2,743 Posts
    Here's food for thought...

BP have just announced quarterly profits of £6.9bn. Can I just re-emphasise that the figure is a quarterly one.

Assuming that's the 'modern' billion we're talking and not the traditional (ie 1bn = 1,000m and not the old 1,000,000m), that figure looks like this:

£6,900,000,000. Per quarter, ie in 12/13 weeks.

That extrapolates to £27,600,000,000 in a year, almost £1000 per UK household.

And that's one oil company.

And that's leaving aside the gas companies and the electricity companies.

A 50% windfall tax on BP alone would generate almost £500 per UK household. Instead, our own taxes will rise in order to pay for the government giving households a roughly similar amount.

The whole energy payment thing is a complete con trick imposed on us because the government is willing to let energy companies play fast and loose with the economy.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Desert Orchid For This Useful Post:

an capall (3rd August 2022), G-G (3rd August 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 1,015 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Kids getting stripped searched in London is unpleasant. While a teenager in London I actually got caught with a spliff.

I remember being frog marched to the local custody, where some perverted copper got his gloves on ready to give me a good fingering.

I kicked off and never let it happen, pride intact, but it involved wrestling with about 10 coppers in a police cell, until they eventually gave up.

I am white and this was 20 years ago when I was 16. How do the police continue to get away with it?

I see a representative of the black community claiming black kids aren't given the same respect and decency as white kids.

While clearly it happens more to black kids from what I saw 40 percent of the incidents were white teenagers.

So a bit unfair to forget them in all this but no real surprise I guess that white kids don't take centre stage in policing debates in this country, especially not in London.

I would rather they addressed the injustice as a whole without someone claiming if you are a white kid it can't happen to you.
    Last edited by Marb; 8th August 2022 at 2:57 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Marb For This Useful Post:

Colin (8th August 2022)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    What percentage of the total population are white teenagers?
    "And still they gazed and still the wonder grew. That one small head could carry all he knew.

And that small head knew that Impaire Et Passe would win the Champion Hurdle."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 1,015 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by an capall View Post
    What percentage of the total population are white teenagers?
    I haven't a clue, An.

I'd hazard a guess in the total population white teenagers are probably 80 percent of the total teenage population.

London probably considerably less than that.

As I say, they should tackle this issue as a whole, as the injustice that it is, although I understand black teenagers are disproportionately affected by this issue in places like London.
    Last edited by Marb; 8th August 2022 at 3:01 PM.