Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast

Thread: Glorious Goodwood

Thanks
    Windsor Road, just down from Seven Sisters. Nan and Grandad lived a few hundred yards along the Cally. Grandad was Park keeper at Highbury Fields.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,223 Times in 620 Posts
    Don’t forget the following.....

Course form. It’s not for every horse and those that have performed well here in the past, often do again.

Also Mark Johnston ALWAYS targets this meeting and has been quoted recently saying he could have run horses elsewhere but has saved them for this week.
    tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jinnyj For This Useful Post:

barjon (25th July 2022), reet hard (25th July 2022)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Maybe I should be committed, considering the money I left in was supposed to do me till the jumps got going again, I now have zero pounds in my Betfair account having put the lot, that was left after the King George meeting, on Hollaway Boy.

Plus she's got my visa card and is going shopping tomorrow.....Tuesday could be a bad day all round for me.
    Last edited by Tanlic; 25th July 2022 at 7:14 PM.
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 1,015 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanlic View Post
    Maybe I should be committed I now have zero pounds in my Betfair account having put the lot, that was left after the King George meeting, on Hollaway Boy.

Plus she's got my visa card and is going shopping tomorrow.....Tuesday could be a bad day all round for me.
    Good luck Tan the horse has a big chance and I'd be happy to see him win I just thought there were a lot of unknowns in terms of the other horses potential. Good luck though.
    Last edited by Marb; 25th July 2022 at 7:15 PM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tout Seul View Post
    Windsor Road, just down from Seven Sisters. Nan and Grandad lived a few hundred yards along the Cally. Grandad was Park keeper at Highbury Fields.
    Aw thats lovely yes Highbury Fields was a place I used to train with my team in the late 1990s. We won the Camden and Islington Cup Final in 1997, 5-4 in extra time, and I got man of the match. We played at some football pitches at the back of Kings Cross called Coram Fields on astro turf. I was asked to train for West Ham after that but I had an ankle injury my ankle would keep giving way in matches and aged 12 I just wasn't ready.

Lovely London memories.
    Last edited by Marb; 25th July 2022 at 7:21 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 875 Posts
    Good luck, Fist, You're a braver man than I am sending your visa card shopping, and backing a Chesham winner at Goodwood.

Thanks
    I’ve backed Galeron too. Holloway Boy did extremely well first time out but the Chesham is only a listed race at the end of the day and the form hasn’t exactly been franked.

Bet of the day for me tomorrow is Stone of Destiny at c. 10/1 in the sprint. Including the 5lb claim he’s running off a near astonishing 79. I say that as it was only a year ago he was rated in the 100s, as when he was unlucky in the Dash off 102 and arguably again when switched to group company in the Coral Charge at Sandown.

It’s not too difficult to make excuses for his runs this year and it’s not often you see a horse running off a claim adjusted mark which is 25lbs lower than he was at this meeting last year. He’s running in a handicap now. Then he ran in the G2 King George and was only beaten 7 lengths, in front of horses like Battaash, Art Power and Liberty Beach.
    Last edited by wilsonl; 25th July 2022 at 8:25 PM.
    Alcohol, because no good story ever started with "I was eating this salad..."

9. The Following User Says Thank You to wilsonl For This Useful Post:

Outsider (25th July 2022)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by reet hard View Post
    Good luck, Fist, You're a braver man than I am sending your visa card shopping, and backing a Chesham winner at Goodwood.
    Well if she overdoes it there will be a Battleground.......speaking of which Battleground won the Chesham then won at Goodwood only 2 seasons ago
    Formely Fist of Fury

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Tanlic For This Useful Post:

Tout Seul (25th July 2022)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wilsonl View Post
    I’ve backed Galeron too. Holloway Boy did extremely well first time out but the Chesham is only a listed race at the end of the day and the form hasn’t exactly been franked.

Bet of the day for me tomorrow is Stone of Destiny at c. 10/1 in the sprint. Including the 5lb claim he’s running off a near astonishing 79. I say that as it was only a year ago he was rated in the 100s, as when he was unlucky in the Dash off 102 and arguably again when switched to group company in the Coral Charge at Sandown.

It’s not too difficult to make excuses for his runs this year and it’s not often you see a horse running off a claim adjusted mark which is 25lbs lower than he was at this meeting last year. He’s running in a handicap now. Then he ran in the G2 King George and was only beaten 7 lengths, in front of horses like Battaash, Art Power and Liberty Beach.
    What do you make of West End Charmer in the first, Lee?

We both liked him for Royal Ascot.

I am with Moktasaab tomorrow but I fear West End Charmer on a going day. Bearing in mind what Jinny said above. I may end up kicking myself after this race tomorrow. Please no.
    Last edited by Marb; 25th July 2022 at 10:10 PM.

Thanks
    Alright lads its been a while I'll be taking in some of the racing this week as I've got a bit of time off work I'll be opening the batting with the 2 Bahrain Bandits in the first tomorrow. Best of luck

Hope you're all well.
    Man who catch fly with chopstick .... accomplish anything.

Thanks
    Nice to see you back, Danny - stick around this time, eh?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,108 Times in 979 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Alright lads its been a while I'll be taking in some of the racing this week as I've got a bit of time off work I'll be opening the batting with the 2 Bahrain Bandits in the first tomorrow. Best of luck

Hope you're all well.
    Good to see they've let you out,see if you can stay out this time.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Outsider For This Useful Post:

Danny (26th July 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,483 Times in 2,743 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post

Hope you're all well.
    Welcome back, Danny.

Hope all's well with you and yours.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Desert Orchid For This Useful Post:

Danny (26th July 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,108 Times in 979 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jinnyj View Post
    Also Mark Johnston ALWAYS targets this meeting and has been quoted recently saying he could have run horses elsewhere but has saved them for this week.
    I look at johnsons at goodwood but always seem to back the wrong ones.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Outsider For This Useful Post:

Danny (26th July 2022)

Thanks
    Wednesday's Sussex Stakes looks a cracker, with 'the best horse in the world' having his mettle tested by the speedy Japanese front-runner.
    Wonder if there'll be 13lbs between them, come tomorrow evening?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Marb View Post
    What do you make of West End Charmer in the first, Lee?

We both liked him for Royal Ascot.

I am with Moktasaab tomorrow but I fear West End Charmer on a going day. Bearing in mind what Jinny said above. I may end up kicking myself after this race tomorrow. Please no.
    I’ve deserted him Martin and gone with Bell Rock, for whom I just hope the jockey’s relative inexperience doesn’t affect the outcome too much in a race where it’d be very easy to meet trouble from an inside draw if not breaking smartly.

I know Johnston targets the meeting but he doesn’t look to have the same firepower this season as he normally does and I vaguely recall Kealy saying something about how he’s way down on winners compared to previous years. I do think West End Charmer will bag a decent handicap but Norton is going to have to make plenty of use of him early doors from 14 and, as one who likes to be prominent, I can see him being up there throughout only to be picked off in the final furlong

All that said, I fear I’m going to need to have a saver on him now with the 7 places on offer.

In the Lennox, I think Laneqash is too big. I’m not sure what happened in the Criterion but on earlier form in the Hungerford and John of Gaunt he’s a much more similar chance to Sacred, Kinross & Pogo than the prices would suggest. He’s over five times the price of Sacred and twice the price of the other two.

Especially if the pieces continue to have a positive effect.
    Last edited by wilsonl; 26th July 2022 at 6:55 AM.
    Alcohol, because no good story ever started with "I was eating this salad..."

23. The Following User Says Thank You to wilsonl For This Useful Post:

Desert Orchid (26th July 2022)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    He better be at his very best today Reet.

The ground is perfect for Order of Australia and he'll make him pull out all the stops.

An upset could be on the cards.
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Bathrat Leon posted a time of 93.1 secs for 1m on g/f last April. which is probably faster than Baaeed's ever run in his life.
    Have had a nibble at B365's 40/1.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 925 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanlic View Post
    He better be at his very best today Reet.

The ground is perfect for Order of Australia and he'll make him pull out all the stops.

An upset could be on the cards.
    But wasn’t the ground pretty near perfect for him in the Queen Anne, too? Baaeed thumped him six lengths then without breaking sweat, so what’s changed?
    Last edited by barjon; 26th July 2022 at 9:29 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by barjon View Post
    But wasn’t the ground pretty near perfect for him in the Queen Anne, too? Baaeed thumped him six lengths then without breaking sweat, so what’s changed?
    The track!