Page 1 of 19 12345611 ... LastLast

Thread: Glorious Goodwood

Thanks

Glorious Goodwood

Early thoughts:

The opening handicap looks interesting. It's a 10f affair and Brilliant Light and Just Fine are prominent in the market- I wouldn't have thought it was enough of a stamina test for either. I've had a small bet on Moktasaab at 14s who didn't stay the 12f at Ascot and hated Epsom before then. He won easily over c/d earlier in the season.
    I have the Lennox between Sacred and Lusail and got 8/1 about the latter a few weeks ago. Will back the fav as cover. Wouldn't oppose Kyprios in the boat race.

Migdam is one of my best trackers and he's in two 3yo handicaps - over 12f on Wed and 10f on Thursday. He'll likely be fav in whichever his trainer chooses for him. I can't oppose Baaeed in the Sussex but I've found a bet in the Oak Tree for fillies. Benefit was horribly outpaced in the race Flotus won at York recently before running on nicely and this easy 7 will really suit her - 10/1 is way overs (form franked today by Gale Force Maya.)

Grand Alliance is tempting in the Gordon stakes on the Thursday but would worry about him veering off course again - 9/1 is fair. I think Nashwa is a bit tight in the Nassau and at this stage Dreamloper would be of interest each way. This 10f on better ground is nowhere near as taxing as the Curragh race she was well beaten in the last day.

The King George market hasn't settled down since Twilight Calls and Royal Aclaim were pulled at the 5 day stage. I don't really like the race for Mitbaahy or Raasel who will probably head the market in such a speed test. Lazuli might be interesting - he doesn't really stay a stiff 5. Wouldn't touch the Golden Mile until the draw is made - will back Jimi Hendrix is he gets a nice berth.

And lastly First Folio or one of the top weights would be my choice in the Stewards Cup.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Euronymous For This Useful Post:

Desert Orchid (23rd July 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,144 Times in 1,024 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yes I like the look of Harry Redknapps horse Moktasaab.

A longshot I put up who actually beat Cachet last season in a listed race and who ran well last time out, returning to some decent form is System. From what I can see this class three looks winnable and she's only gone up 3lb to 85.
    Last edited by Marb; 24th July 2022 at 11:23 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,497 Times in 2,754 Posts
    Tuesday 1.50 - Legend Of Dubai 7/1 - This is the one that was backed off the boards in the lead up to the Hunt Cup but disappointed badly (it certainly disappointed me as I was on it quite heftily at decent odds!) and it looks like there might be another big move developing. All the reasons why I liked it for Ascot still apply so it isn't really sickness insurance. I haven't read any excuses anywhere for that run but there must have been a reason for it. It was just too bad to be true. I will be on a few in this race though, as per, but for now a lumpy win bet at 7s plus the boost will do.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    I just missed out on the 4/1 Trueshan and have settled for 7/2. It's blue across the board and I reckon it will challenge Kyprios for favouritism by Tuesday. This isn't because of what it did in the Northumberland Plate; its overall form is just that wee bit better than anything Kyprios has done so far and I would fancy Trueshan to beat Kyprios. If the Newcastle form could be taken literally, Trueshan would be a candidate for the Odds On thread.

A three-cross with Legend Of Dubai and Sacred appeals.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Orchid View Post
    I just missed out on the 4/1 Trueshan and have settled for 7/2. It's blue across the board and I reckon it will challenge Kyprios for favouritism by Tuesday. This isn't because of what it did in the Northumberland Plate; its overall form is just that wee bit better than anything Kyprios has done so far and I would fancy Trueshan to beat Kyprios. If the Newcastle form could be taken literally, Trueshan would be a candidate for the Odds On thread.

A three-cross with Legend Of Dubai and Sacred appeals.
    Ground?
    All comers, all grounds, all beaten!

This perfect mix of poetry and destruction.

Thanks
    Legend of Dubai's win at Newmarket at the Guineas meeting is really good form (the second was behind Adjourn at Doncaster last time, a race that connects to Migdam who is pretty much my nap of the week) and like I said on the opening post, Brilliant Light and Just Fine are fades on this track over 10f.

Pleased to see Lusail declared for the Lennox but the 2 trap with Pat Dodds on in a double figure field spells trouble. I have backed the Legend/Sacred double to cover my Moktasaab and Lusail bets.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,224 Times in 927 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Migdam in my tracker, too, Euro. Bit of a clash because Hannon has Mugader in the same colours entered as well in the Wednesday one, although he’s probably not up to it - won a Class 4 over 1m6 at Donny last time and he’s being brought along slowly.

In two minds whether to give Equilateral another chance in the KG on Friday if he turns up. I thought he was a good thing for his Curragh run last time, but there were no obvious excuses and he just didn’t look good enough.

Other than that I’ve got a shed load of 2yo runners to look at when I know what’s running where.
    Last edited by barjon; 24th July 2022 at 2:32 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,128 Times in 997 Posts
    Blog Entries
    One from my tracker for tuesday.
    YACOWLEF 445 22/1 first time it led and ran green under a 7lb claimer. Tom Marquand rides for Paul Cole.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Outsider For This Useful Post:

Colin (24th July 2022), smokeyblue (25th July 2022)

Thanks
    Tuesday 1.50 - Legend Of Dubai 7/1 - This is the one that was backed off the boards in the lead up to the Hunt Cup but disappointed badly (it certainly disappointed me as I was on it quite heftily at decent odds!) and it looks like there might be another big move developing. All the reasons why I liked it for Ascot still apply so it isn't really sickness insurance. I haven't read any excuses anywhere for that run but there must have been a reason for it. It was just too bad to be true. I will be on a few in this race though, as per, but for now a lumpy win bet at 7s plus the boost will do.
    Now that I've collated and sorted my figures for the race, I've added Bell Rock each-way, 5 places, at 14/1 BOG. Top-rated on the best of his last six runs, another 4lbs better on his best form of last season (beat Maydanny, who subsequently won at Sandown then the Golden Mile, off 103 and is off 102 here) and Davies takes another five off. A low draw won't be a negative, I don't think, since he usually races fairly prominently. Hard to see him not making the frame and could win if LOD isn't as good as I hope.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Desert Orchid For This Useful Post:

Outsider (24th July 2022)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Ever Given for me in the Lennox each way. He has track form at Goodwood having won a class two handicap here last season. This season he's not done too bad. He beat Oscula at Epsom who franked the form yesterday. I just think 16s is too big on Ever Given.
    Last edited by Marb; 24th July 2022 at 5:25 PM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I would have thought Slim would have been here supporting Krypios.

I have a theory which probably holds about as much water as me saying Pyledriver only had a 1% chance of winning.

StradV is coming to the end of his racing career but would still have gone very close to winning the AGC but for Frankies antics.

That leads me to beleive there must be a chance that he\s aleady all but gone and Kyprios isn't that good.

If Trueshan was the 124 horse the decided to give him for beating trees he would be odds on for this.
    especially with rain expected tomorrow.

If I am correct and it's not as good a race as those in the past then there must be a chance
    Coltrane, who was brilliant,over the 2mile trip last time out, will come of age in this.

Coltrane 10/1 EW appeals to me as a sporting bet
    Last edited by Tanlic; 25th July 2022 at 11:36 AM.
    Formely Fist of Fury

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tanlic For This Useful Post:

Marb (24th July 2022), Outsider (24th July 2022)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanlic View Post
    I would have thought Slim would have been here supporting Krypios.

I have a theory which probably holds about as much water as me saying Pyledriver only had a 1% change of winning.

StradV is coming to the end of his racing career but would still have gone very close to winning the AGC but for Frankies antics.

That leads me to beleive there must be a chance that he\s aleady all but gone and Kyprios isn't that good.

If Trueshan was the 124 horse the decided to give him for beating trees he would be odds on for this.
    especially with rain expected tomorrow.

If I am correct and it's not as good a race as those in the past then there must be a chance
    Coltrane, who was brilliant,over the 2mile trip last time out, will come of age in this.

Coltrane 10/1 EW appeals to me as a sporting bet
    The race has a nice shape about it with the nine runners for an each way bet. I think Tanlics argument holds some water and while Stradavarius will have his fans this could be a better race than Royal Ascot and Trueshan if the rain comes will be a tough nut to crack.

When I had a look at it I actually thought Princess Zoe was an each way price. She's not a bad horse on her day and not one you'd want to let go off too big a price.

Will Trueshan run though? We should still hopefully get the dead 8 runners even if he gets taken out.

I like Coltrane a bit aswell. But at an even bigger price I'll chance Princess Zoe. The Sagaro form from Ascot over 2 miles has been franked with Quickthorn winning twice since.

A year or two ago given Princess Zoe's early form in Ireland was all on heavy ground I would have questioned her ability on good to firm but she won on it at Ascot this season and was second in the Ascot Gold Cup on it last season. I think she goes on it ok. Although a drop of rain might help her.
    Last edited by Marb; 24th July 2022 at 7:10 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 885 Posts
    Not seeing any rain in the forecast through till Tueday pm?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I'm not sure what forecast that is Reet but there"s rain due tomorrow from what I can see. The Sporting Life race preview also states this. I think it's what Alan King is waiting to see before he runs Trueshan.

Apparantly he will run Trueshan if it goes to good ground.
    Last edited by Marb; 24th July 2022 at 7:34 PM.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Marb For This Useful Post:

reet hard (25th July 2022)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Marb View Post
    I'm not sure what forecast that is Reet but there"s rain due tomorrow from what I can see. The Sporting Life race preview also states this. I think it's what Alan King is waiting to see before he runs Trueshan.

Apparantly he will run Trueshan if it goes to good ground.
    The forecast I use is saying no rain right through to Saturday. The going is currently officially good, good to firm in places with watering taking place. I imagine they'll find a reason to add an extra ml or two to coax Trueshan into running but either way I'll trust King's judgment on the horse's participation. Good ground will probably be fine for him. He has won on good ground before but has been withdrawn every time 'firm' has appeared in the main description:

Trueshan | Race Record & Form | Racing Post

Is it possible they're shortening up Trueshan to profit from R4 deductions?
    Last edited by Desert Orchid; 24th July 2022 at 11:13 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by reet hard View Post
    Not seeing any rain in the forecast through till Tueday pm?
    Not even a hint of it on the Met Office f/c for Arundel?
    Last edited by reet hard; 25th July 2022 at 1:58 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,128 Times in 997 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by reet hard View Post
    Not even a hint of it on the Met Office f/c for Arundel?
    What about Chichester?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Outsider View Post
    What about Chichester?
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2653192

Thanks
    Brilliant Light looks good in the first. Had to be up with the pace from the 1 draw in the John Smiths, and just got run out of it by horses from further back. similarly drawn here, downhill track ideal and the brilliant DT retains the ride. Bet of the day for me. 7/1 generally - 5pl, if your so minded.
    Sacred ought to win the Lennox though won't get rich at 2/1, and Kyprios has too many gears for Strad and Trueshan, so I've done a f/c with Coltrane to chase him home.
    Fabulous meeting - luck to all.
    Last edited by reet hard; 25th July 2022 at 5:07 AM.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to reet hard For This Useful Post:

Colin (25th July 2022)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    The forecast I use is saying no rain right through to Saturday. The going is currently officially good, good to firm in places with watering taking place. I imagine they'll find a reason to add an extra ml or two to coax Trueshan into running but either way I'll trust King's judgment on the horse's participation. Good ground will probably be fine for him. He has won on good ground before but has been withdrawn every time 'firm' has appeared in the main description:

Trueshan | Race Record & Form | Racing Post

Is it possible they're shortening up Trueshan to profit from R4 deductions?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aW6eKvUkkZf5VSKpkWcWlIG2MRAFicJWkHiEmqPGhvOUKhncyy2NXucjOJ8d-uMC.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	17.6 KB 
ID:	2789

I really do try but this twat gets on my nerves
    Formely Fist of Fury

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tanlic For This Useful Post:

Marb (25th July 2022), prince regent (25th July 2022)