Outsider (12th July 2022)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by trefflich View Post
    Luke Morris is finished with this ruling
    LMAO at that one.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to LUKE For This Useful Post:

Outsider (12th July 2022)

Thanks
    It’s better than it was, and I’m happy that a horse can now be disqualified.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Len Madeiros View Post
    It’s better than it was, and I’m happy that a horse can now be disqualified.

Until you have a winner for a life changing amount that gets disqualified.Also raises the possibility of multiple disqualifications in the same race.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,129 Times in 998 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It will be interesting to see if bookies stop paying first past the post.

Although it should nly happen once .

Thanks
    They can't enforce the rules as they stand...God knows what mess they'll make of these

12. The Following User Says Thank You to trefflich For This Useful Post:

Colin (13th July 2022)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LUKE View Post
    Until you have a winner for a life changing amount that gets disqualified.Also raises the possibility of multiple disqualifications in the same race.
    New rules, yes. The welfare of racing, and its future existence, are the only things that matter here.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Len Madeiros For This Useful Post:

barjon (12th July 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,129 Times in 998 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Bring in VAR

Thanks
    Thanked 1,224 Times in 927 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think jockeys will adapt quickly and the threat of disqualification will bite. I always think of athletics - false start and you’re out. Doom and gloom forecast when that was introduced, but it virtually stopped false starting overnight.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to barjon For This Useful Post:

Len Madeiros (13th July 2022)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Len Madeiros View Post
    New rules, yes. The welfare of racing, and its future existence, are the only things that matter here.

Apologies I'm a mere punter not a philanthropist concerned about future generations.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,355 Times in 806 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Whip rules first highlighted in 1980 when Tommy Ryan and Joe Byrne got 3 month suspensions for their rides on Drumlargan and Batista respectively.
    Joe had got a warning and £50 fine for his ride on The Vintner the previous Saturday at Haydock , not so sure about Tommy. ( Maybe fined and warned over a Day 1 Festival ride)
    The late Andy Turnell got his suspension on Hill Of Slane at Aintree overturned on appeal.
    Drumlargan went on to placed in Gold Cup and win a Whitbread, so obviously was not overly affected.
    Hill Of Slane ran into old age, though not at the heights of his juvenile hurdler days.
    We all know of horses that run for the whip and those that do not. ( Brave Inca vs Harchibald) (The Minstrel, Thunder Snow for flatties )
    Hopefully how horses' careers continue after some whip indiscretion will be seen as part of a larger picture , in some way.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to edgt For This Useful Post:

Desert Orchid (19th July 2022)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    The UK should stop messing about and should have left things exactly the way they were re WHIP.
    There is no need fror change and banning the whip is off the table forever and will never ever happen.

The BHA need to tell the maoners to GFY and stop trying to please them as they will never stop no matter what they do.

Someone mentioned that disqaulifying horses when the jockey has bronke the rules may be on the cards???

Never paid much attention but if true what a can of worms that would open up.
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by barjon View Post
    I think jockeys will adapt quickly and the threat of disqualification will bite. I always think of athletics - false start and you’re out. Doom and gloom forecast when that was introduced, but it virtually stopped false starting overnight.
    I missed your post BJ.......what kind of world are we living in when you can veer across in front of a wall of horse cause complete havoc, endanger lives , win the race and keep it but if you hit the horse a couple of whacks more than you should have you can be disqualified...seems to me a horses ass is more important than human life
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanlic View Post
    I missed your post BJ.......what kind of world are we living in when you can veer across in front of a wall of horse cause complete havoc, endanger lives , win the race and keep it but if you hit the horse a couple of whacks more than you should have you can be disqualified...seems to me a horses ass is more important than human life
    Agree regarding dangerous riding. If a horse has been encouraged because it has been hurt then that’s not on nowadays (I well remember watching Lester trying to rub out weals on his way to the winners enclosure). Otherwise, it’s just a question of PR because it looks as though they are being hurt, same as vigorously manhandling them into the stalls with the jockey heaving on their tails to help. We might pooh-pooh PR, but I think there’s a real danger that public opinion will turn against horse racing.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 885 Posts
    But there aren''t any wheals nowadays BJ. and that's what needs emphasising by the authorities and the media, rather than this pandering to the PC brigade.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,499 Times in 2,755 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barjon View Post
    ... Otherwise, it’s just a question of PR because it looks as though they are being hurt, same as vigorously manhandling them into the stalls with the jockey heaving on their tails to help. We might pooh-pooh PR, but I think there’s a real danger that public opinion will turn against horse racing.
    ITV don't help racing's cause in the least by constantly referring to how much racing is doing about equine welfare. It's merely reinforcing a mis-held minority public perception that there is mis-treatment of horses in racing. Of course there is the odd moron out there who doesn't look after the horses he/she trains and they're the tail that is wagging the dog.

Everything nowadays is about perception rather than reality.

If they said nothing but allowed the large fans and cooling systems to tell their own subliminal story people would see without being told what's being done.

As soon as you say, "See what we're doing about equine welfare?" the uninformed public hear, "We have an equine welfare problem."

It's psychology.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by reet hard View Post
    But there aren''t any wheals nowadays BJ. and that's what needs emphasising by the authorities and the media, rather than this pandering to the PC brigade.
    Yes, that’s why I said “looks as though they are being hurt” . As Desert says, perception is what counts nowadays.