Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567

Thread: King George VI and Queen Elizabeth Stakes 2022

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    After that result today..What a pleasure it is to watch William Buick ride..guy reminds me so much of Bill Shoemaker.

You can bet he'd be thinking he'd like the leg up on Highbank for the 2000 Guineas who looked very special today until Naval Power put up an even better performnce
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quite an ask for Benoit De La Sayette to take over from Frankie for the Queen on Saga...I wonder if she's sharpeneing the axe incase he does something stupid

You can bet Frankie is glad he never rode that today
    Last edited by Tanlic; 23rd July 2022 at 4:49 PM.
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Thanked 3,483 Times in 2,743 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Flagship uberalles View Post
    I thought she pulled very hard.indeed over first few furlongs, was the first horse beaten. Frankie tried to shake her up on the bend and she went backwards
    I've watched the race again. I'm really not seeing that she pulled any harder than anything else in the early stages and no more than you'd expect for one tucked in on the rails with horses all around.

There's a moment about 5f/6f out when Dettori moves his hands on her neck as if to ask her to move forward and nothing happens. After that he loses about three lengths relative to the leaders and after that he's just going through the motions. As I say, maybe he just felt the filly was off her game today and he made sure she didn't have a hard race.

Or maybe the ground was too firm for her.
    Last edited by Desert Orchid; 23rd July 2022 at 5:16 PM.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Thanked 1,108 Times in 979 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Maybe it's because the classic form is crap.
    Desert crown looked good but the rest not so.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 1,015 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Outsider View Post
    Maybe it's because the classic form is crap.
    Desert crown looked good but the rest not so.
    I take the view it was good form for what it was on the day mate.

However, you only need look at recent derby winners the past ten to fifteen years or so to see that many underperformed after the Derby.

I know Desert Crown looks a very good horse but after this injury business I wouldn't be in a rush to back him next time out.

More power to him if he could roll up in an Arc as a three year old and run well but he's definately odds against to win it.

Westover has just boiled over and not run his best race today. A bit like me as a hormonial teenager doing GSCE's he's not made best use of his effort today. He could be better with time maybe stepped up in trip (St Leger?).

The same could probably be said of Emily although she is obviously a filly and she might need dropping down in trip according to Frankie.

I didn't like her pulling early as that is usually a sign they think or want to go faster than they actually are able to so maybe her temperament needs watching in future races.

There'll probably be other days for these two if the trainers can get them right. Westover I would be more keen on for the end of this season in a St Leger whereas Emily could be one who needs another season in training to be seen at her best.

She is very talented but might just be a bit quirky.
    Last edited by Marb; 23rd July 2022 at 8:02 PM.

Thanks
    We were there and if you can screaming for Pyledriver that was me! How utterly fantastic was that? So, so pleased for them. He was easily the pick of the paddock by a mile.
    My impression watching it live was EU was being pushed from before the bend and not picking up/holding her place. Seemed very flat. Maybe too many races so far?
    But whoo hoo Pyledriver!! Absolutely brilliant and thank goodness EU ran as otherwise wouldn't have been PJ on him.
    Vote Alfie!!!!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to G-G For This Useful Post:

edgt (23rd July 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 1,015 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yeah Pyledriver is obviously a very good horse. Who remembers him winning at similiar odds at Royal Ascot a couple seasons ago? Then he wins the Coronation Cup last season again out running his odds on the day.

People were saying the German horse was overpriced based on it being German and not widely known in the U.K and you could argue Pyledriver was overlooked and overpriced aswell maybe based on his trainer not really being in the very top rank of trainers.

Glad you enjoyed it GG always nice sometimes to see an underdog get the upper hand.
    Last edited by Marb; 23rd July 2022 at 7:44 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by G-G View Post
    We were there and if you can screaming for Pyledriver that was me!
    We were stood right by the rail in the Queen Anne and i heard someone going barmy just behind me

Just got back, Pyledriver is a nuisance he's a good horse on his day but lets you down more times than when he wins, i think the Arc winner ran a blinder on unsuitable ground and could be the one to beat in October

A bollock doer of a day, but i did back one winner, before the 4.10 race i boldly proclaimed to my mates that Naval Power would win and **** next years Guineas

Watch this space

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marb View Post
    I take the view it was good form for what it was on the day mate.

However, you only need look at recent derby winners the past ten to fifteen years or so to see that many underperformed after the Derby.

I know Desert Crown looks a very good horse but after this injury business I wouldn't be in a rush to back him next time out.

More power to him if he could roll up in an Arc as a three year old and run well but he's definately odds against to win it.

Westover has just boiled over and not run his best race today. A bit like me as a hormonial teenager doing GSCE's he's not made best use of his effort today. He could be better with time maybe stepped up in trip (St Leger?).

The same could probably be said of Emily although she is obviously a filly and she might need dropping down in trip according to Frankie.

I didn't like her pulling early as that is usually a sign they think or want to go faster than they actually are able to so maybe her temperament needs watching in future races.

There'll probably be other days for these two if the trainers can get them right. Westover I would be more keen on for the end of this season in a St Leger whereas Emily could be one who needs another season in training to be seen at her best.

She is very talented but might just be a bit quirky.
    You're not as daft as you look as the saying goes Marb. Something obviously got to Westover who burned himself out by the time they got to Swinley bottom.
    First time he's tackled ground that fast which could be partially to blame for him being beaten so quickly...I doubt if we have seen the last of him.

If you didn't know which horse was which clearly Pyledriver was always going better than anything.

PJ's hands never left the horses neck and you could have hung your washing on his reigns until he said go..

In contrast to that if Frankie wasn't such a good jockey it would have been clear to those with no idea how to read how a horse is travelling
    that she was on fire early. Frankie was doing the best he could but he was on her mouth from after only a furlong and she simply burned herself out before the home turn.
    a run best forgotten.

Broome was very relaxed and flattered briefly he's simply not a very good horse these days,

Missriff ran well and was given a top drawer ride by James Doyle considering the trip is definetly too far for him.
    owner won't be too unhappy with his horse who added another few quid to the £11,462,544 he'd won already

Torquator Tasso was absolutely fine on the ground and ran a very good race but I'd be wary of backing him for the Arc.
    he acted better on desperate ground last year than the others. most of whom struggled, but there's no guaratee the ground will be as bad this year

I wouldn't give up on either Westover or Emily Upjohn who you can bet will both bounce back
    Last edited by Tanlic; 24th July 2022 at 12:42 AM.
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 875 Posts
    Westover has just boiled over and not run his best race today.
    Been heading that way for a while, according to the pundits.
    Best avoided,imo.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Could be guys.....he is only a 3 year old and running in 2 Derbys can take it's toll.

Fortunately they have time to rough him off for a month and bring him back later in the year
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 875 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Euronymous View Post
    Bad race. I think the 12f division is rapidly declining. When you think of Baaeed and how good the Eclipse was - that was just a boat race.
    According to my reading of ATR sectionals,they went too quick early and Pyledriver outstayed them - apart from the German - which clearly has a rounded action, and ran a blinder in the circumstances
    Crab the jockeys, not the horses,imo

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Aussie reacing are currently showing the replay of yesterdays racing.......Jason Weaver said he was very worried about Westover who everytime he passed him in the paddock he was getting warmer and warmer...HE"LL be back
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Looks like I'm going to have to accept that EU did pull too hard:

'A huge anti-climax' - our analyst wasn't impressed with the King George | Horse Racing News | Racing Post

And yet Frankie never mentioned it in his verdict:

Torquator Tasso camp eye Arc as Beckett and Dettori react to King George flops | Horse Racing News | Racing Post

(It's also interesting that Beckett is implying that the pace wasn't fast!)
    Last edited by Desert Orchid; 24th July 2022 at 10:51 AM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Gawd give me strength Cluless is as ckueless does

Frankie's hands were in mid air from the off and he was on the horses mouth all the way.
    Something even the noviest of novice punters could spot

Anyone can easily spot that PJ on the winner has hands firmly planted on the horses withers and Pyledraiver is half a sleep until the home turn and PJ put metal to the petal.
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Orchid View Post
    Looks like I'm going to have to accept that EU did pull too hard:

'A huge anti-climax' - our analyst wasn't impressed with the King George | Horse Racing News | Racing Post

And yet Frankie never mentioned it in his verdict:

Torquator Tasso camp eye Arc as Beckett and Dettori react to King George flops | Horse Racing News | Racing Post

(It's also interesting that Beckett is implying that the pace wasn't fast!)
    Simon Rowlands says EU "raced freely" but implies that other factors were much more in play.

Sectional Spotlight | At The Races

The brother phoned me last night to discuss the race. He's a lot better at these observations than I am and he named EU and Westover as pulling too hard. I'm happy to stand corrected re EU but stand by my assertion that Frankie gave her an easy time of it (presumably accepting she had run herself out of reserves).