Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Diamond Geezer

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Very sad news. I never met Roger, but we were in frequent contact regarding the various competitions. He was very conscientious and efficient, and between them he and Faye (NewApproach) have made a great success of running the main Ante Post and Ten To Follow competitions, and also some smaller ones marking the bigger meetings. He also initiated a Caption Please thread that provided a lot of entertainment. It goes without saying that he will be a big loss here.

Regarding this year's Ten To Follow competition, it has run aground owing to Roger's illness. As a tribute to him I will take on to calculate the final scores, of the main contenders at least, and get the job finished. I think it is what he would want.

Rest In Peace, Roger
    It was extremely generous of him to put the time in to run the competitions. If you need any help with spreadsheet formulas etc. to help in calculating the results for the latest competition or for managing any future competitions then let me know.

Perhaps if there is enough interest we could do a paid entry comp for the next NH season between this forum and a few others that DG frequented with half of the money going to his family.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ep1987 For This Useful Post:

Grey (7th June 2022), NewApproach (7th June 2022)

Thanks
    Sad news
    TRF would like to extend our condolences
    Roger was a diamond geezer alright.
    I messaged him a quite a few times over the years on here. I asked him about doing a TRF v Talkinghorses inter forum competition on Champions Day but wasn't too sure how to go about it. He told me to leave it to him and he provide a great friendly rivalry competition between the two forums
    One of our members has said it would be nice to have another one this year in memory of Roger.
    Rest in peace, Roger

Thanks
    Thanked 1,553 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jinnyj View Post
    It is with the biggest regret that I have to report that Roger sadly passed away yesterday morning aged 72. As many of you know from his last post, he had suffered a fall and further issues were found.

He was the most wonderful contributor to this forum organising the best competitions. I did have the pleasure of meeting him and he was as nice in person as on here. A wealth of racing knowledge and just an all round good guy. DG the place will miss you more than you will ever know.
    So very, very sorry to hear this news.

Roger/DG was an absolute stalwart of this (and other) forum(s), and whilst I never had the pleasure of meeting him face-to-face, he was always one of the "good guys" of the online racing community.

My heartfelt condolences to his family and friends.
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Grasshopper For This Useful Post:

granger (9th June 2022)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Deeply saddened to read this news. As with many others I never had the pleasure of meeting Roger personally, but he was beyond kind and responsive to any personal request for assistance. He was just a rock solid, no frills, personable, dependable and likeable human being.

To stretch an analogy - I always think of the C4 precursor to this forum as a 'Trumpian' world, no structure, no manners, truth didn't matter, insult prevailed. Now we are all still here, enjouying each other's (mainly virtual) company like decent adults. I always think it was Roger more than most who steered us to these calmer waters.

Ar dheis De go raibh ar anam.
    "And still they gazed and still the wonder grew. That one small head could carry all he knew.

And that small head knew that Impaire Et Passe would win the Champion Hurdle."

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to an capall For This Useful Post:

chroniclandlord (14th June 2022), Colin Phillips (7th June 2022), granger (9th June 2022), Grasshopper (8th June 2022), Outsider (7th June 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 735 Posts
    I just logged on for some reason, as summers are not common for me on the forum.

This is immensley sad. I exchanged messages and email with Roger over the year

His work on the forum, seeking no praise was immense

It will be unusual without him being the first to publish the decs instantly or the racing news straight from the PA

Go easy Roger, you made my 15+ years on the forum the more enjoyable
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    DG was built in with the bricks and someone I took for granted and expected to be here forever
    never thinking or knowing what age he was or have any idea about his state of health.
    He was the man who kept us up to date and alerted us when the decs came out along with other important news
    When he posted he always immediately grabbed my attention and I am sure that of many others.
    He made life so much easier for us around here and will be sadly missed
    Condolences to his family and all who knew him as a friend R.I.P.
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Oh no - so sorry to hear about Roger - DG was indeed a great stalwart and it was he who told me about Lord H’s passing only a little while ago . A kind, thoughtful and very likeable man always looking to do things for others . Condolences to his family.

Thanks
    I am very sorry about Roger. his contribution to the forum was immense.

With the deaths of Lord H, DG and our administrator Colin, it has been a rough few months for the forum community.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to chroniclandlord For This Useful Post:

Ardross (21st June 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,483 Times in 2,743 Posts
    I got a FB alert this morning that today would have been his birthday

So tough for his family.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Thanked 3,483 Times in 2,743 Posts
    Funeral details:

Facebook
    Illegitimi non carborundum

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Desert Orchid For This Useful Post:

edgt (16th June 2022), G-G (16th June 2022), Grey (16th June 2022)

Thanks
    I passed on this news to Krizon - who remembered meeting DG and his wife at Cheltenham and recalled he was great fun and one of the good guys and passed on her condolences.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ardross For This Useful Post:

Desert Orchid (21st June 2022), G-G (21st June 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 620 Posts
    From Facebook:

There will be a celebration of Roger’s life at The URC Hall, 94 Salisbury Ave, Warden Hill, Cheltenham GL51 3BY on Saturday 23rd July between 11am - 3pm. All are welcome.
    tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito

19. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to jinnyj For This Useful Post:

chroniclandlord (5th July 2022), Desert Orchid (5th July 2022), edgt (5th July 2022), Grey (5th July 2022), Len Madeiros (5th July 2022), moehat (5th July 2022), NewApproach (6th July 2022), Tout Seul (5th July 2022)