Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Diamond Geezer

Thanks
    Just heard about this earlier on Whatsapp. Another sad loss, with another original forum stalwart now taken from us. Condolences to Roger's family, friends and the forum members who knew him best.
    You should not confuse your career with your life.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Dave G For This Useful Post:

Slim (5th June 2022)

Thanks
    What sad news. Always came across as a gent you`d be privileges to know. His contribution to this forum was immense. Rest in peace, Roger.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Desperate Dan For This Useful Post:

G-G (6th June 2022), granger (9th June 2022), Slim (5th June 2022)

Thanks
    Oh no. I’m so sorry to hear this. I’ve lost so many dear friends over the past couple of years and losing someone I only know via the internet upsets me just as much. I,too, have shielded throughout the pandemic and it saddens me that so many people spent the last part of their lives not going places or meeting people. He’s a great loss to the forum. My condolences to his family.

Thanks
    Oh no. I’m so sorry to hear this. I’ve lost so many dear friends over the past couple of years and losing someone I only know via the internet upsets me just as much. I,too, have shielded throughout the pandemic and it saddens me that so many people spent the last part of their lives not going places or meeting people. He’s a great loss to the forum. My condolences to his family.

Thanks
    Very sad news. I never met Roger, but we were in frequent contact regarding the various competitions. He was very conscientious and efficient, and between them he and Faye (NewApproach) have made a great success of running the main Ante Post and Ten To Follow competitions, and also some smaller ones marking the bigger meetings. He also initiated a Caption Please thread that provided a lot of entertainment. It goes without saying that he will be a big loss here.

Regarding this year's Ten To Follow competition, it has run aground owing to Roger's illness. As a tribute to him I will take on to calculate the final scores, of the main contenders at least, and get the job finished. I think it is what he would want.

Rest In Peace, Roger

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Grey For This Useful Post:

chroniclandlord (10th June 2022), granger (9th June 2022), Grasshopper (7th June 2022), jinnyj (6th June 2022), NewApproach (6th June 2022)

Thanks
    So very very sad to hear this news. Roger was the lifeblood of comps on here and I had lots of lovely interaction with him over the years. Rest in peace Diamond Geezer

Thanks
    "The wise man is one who knows what he does not know"

Thanks
    Condolences to Rogers family. Rest In Peace Diamond Geezer.

Thanks
    My deepest sympathies to his family & friends.
    He shall surely be missed by all.
    RIP Roger

Thanks
    So sad to hear this. Although I never met Roger in person I often exchanged emails and messages with him about the various competitions on here, he seemed a lovely man and gave a lot of his time to this forum - he will be sadly missed.

My thoughts are with his friends and family. Rest In Peace, Roger

Thanks
    Very sad indeed.

RIP

Thanks
    Thanked 1,243 Times in 632 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Very sad news. I never met Roger, but we were in frequent contact regarding the various competitions. He was very conscientious and efficient, and between them he and Faye (NewApproach) have made a great success of running the main Ante Post and Ten To Follow competitions, and also some smaller ones marking the bigger meetings. He also initiated a Caption Please thread that provided a lot of entertainment. It goes without saying that he will be a big loss here.

Regarding this year's Ten To Follow competition, it has run aground owing to Roger's illness. As a tribute to him I will take on to calculate the final scores, of the main contenders at least, and get the job finished. I think it is what he would want.

Rest In Peace, Roger
    Thank you, that’s a really kind gesture. I was actually thinking that we should name any future competition in his name and maybe have some sort of trophy which could be engraved? I invariably get a couple of trophies organised every year for the Wessex Point to Point Awards and they’ not expensive. But it would be a nice lasting memory. The Diamond Geezer NH Ten to Follow.
    tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jinnyj For This Useful Post:

Colin Phillips (6th June 2022), G-G (6th June 2022), Len Madeiros (6th June 2022), NewApproach (6th June 2022), wilsonl (6th June 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,243 Times in 632 Posts
    This is a trophy I have bought for this years Lifetime Achievement award

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7AC251C8-937D-4BBD-964C-A70F847F2B4C.jpeg 
Views:	58 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	2774
    tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito

18. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to jinnyj For This Useful Post:

chaumi (6th June 2022), Colin Phillips (6th June 2022), edgt (6th June 2022), G-G (6th June 2022), granger (9th June 2022), Grasshopper (7th June 2022), NewApproach (6th June 2022), Tout Seul (6th June 2022)

Thanks
    Roger and I go back more than 20 years. Our paths first crossed when he took over the tipping competition I used to run on the long since gone 'Neigh' website.

He has been an absolute stalwart on here for a lot of years, and his competitions kept us entertained year after year. He put so much hard work and effort into them, all for our benefit. He gave us all so much, wanting nothing in return.

The remarkable thing with Roger was he never gambled. He never had a single penny on any horse. His involvement was simply for the love of the sport. He loved every part of it.

It's so sad that for the last two years he and his wife had been shielding, and weren't able to do the things they always used to do. If you ever wanted to find Roger up until then you could pretty much wander up to Cheltenham Racecourse and he wouldn't be far away. He lost the first-hand involvement with his first love because of the pandemic.

As Jinny says he had a fall and a few complications, and sadly they found and inoperable brain tumour. His passing wasn't unexpected, but for these last few months he was already leaving a big hole in the Forum because he was unable to contribute.

He was a lovely man that I'll miss a lot. And I feel so sad that he's gone.
    Last edited by Maruco; 6th June 2022 at 9:49 AM.

20. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Maruco For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

archie (6th June 2022), Colin Phillips (6th June 2022), Desert Orchid (6th June 2022), Desperate Dan (6th June 2022), edgt (6th June 2022), G-G (6th June 2022), gigilo (7th June 2022), Grasshopper (7th June 2022), jinnyj (6th June 2022), Kauto Abu (6th June 2022), Len Madeiros (6th June 2022), Outsider (7th June 2022), Tout Seul (6th June 2022)

Thanks
    I did not know Roger. We never spoke. But I can get a true measure of the man - someone who was well-loved and deeply respected - from the comments from those on this forum that knew him.

RIP

Thanks
    Thanked 1,224 Times in 927 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chaumi View Post
    I did not know Roger. We never spoke. But I can get a true measure of the man - someone who was well-loved and deeply respected - from the comments from those on this forum that knew him.

RIP
    Yes, it really is lovely seeing the tributes from all those here who knew him in life or via the forum. It is a pleasure to belong to such a caring and friendly community and it’s clear that Roger was a prime mover in moulding it to be so.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to barjon For This Useful Post:

chaumi (6th June 2022)

Thanks
    Sorry to hear this, Diamond Geezer was a very active forumite over the years. He was the mortar between the bricks on here and will be missed.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jinnyj View Post
    Thank you, that’s a really kind gesture. I was actually thinking that we should name any future competition in his name and maybe have some sort of trophy which could be engraved? I invariably get a couple of trophies organised every year for the Wessex Point to Point Awards and they’ not expensive. But it would be a nice lasting memory. The Diamond Geezer NH Ten to Follow.
    I think that's a lovely idea, I'd be happy to contribute to a trophy (and could help to do the competition)

26. The Following User Says Thank You to NewApproach For This Useful Post:

jinnyj (6th June 2022)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jinnyj View Post
    It is with the biggest regret that I have to report that Roger sadly passed away yesterday morning aged 72. As many of you know from his last post, he had suffered a fall and further issues were found.

He was the most wonderful contributor to this forum organising the best competitions. I did have the pleasure of meeting him and he was as nice in person as on here. A wealth of racing knowledge and just an all round good guy. DG the place will miss you more than you will ever know.
    This is very sad news. I may be a newbie to this forum, but I know how important and ingrained he was here. It is always tough losing a member of a community - especially one so dear. My heartfelt condolences to his family and friends.
    “Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough.”

~ Mark Twain

28. The Following User Says Thank You to bbailey For This Useful Post:

an capall (7th June 2022)

Thanks
    I am so sad to hear this. I never met him either but we communicated off forum for many years. He was a huge help in a personal situation I had going on a few years ago, as well as going out of his way to get a pic of my beloved mare, before I owned her , when she came over from Ireland. I was so grateful to him.
    All thoughts with his wife, family and friends. He will be sorely missed here too.
    Vote Alfie!!!!