Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2022 Derby Thread

Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 885 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post
    A horse that's blitzed a field over 10f won't have the zip for 1m 4f?
    Form from steadily run contests is generally considered unreliable anyway,and I'd doubt SA has the versatily to both stretch and quicken.

Thanks
    Wherever Stone Age finishes my 100-1 each way bet will not be far off him especially over 12 furlongs...

​Glory Daze
    "The wise man is one who knows what he does not know"

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PlaceBacker For This Useful Post:

Desert Orchid (19th May 2022), Outsider (19th May 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,128 Times in 997 Posts
    Blog Entries
    They will be under orders not to take Stone Age on and make life difficult for Desert Crown. Richard Kingscote is not the man you want in this situation. Racing isn't all about numbers and ratings.
    So how are they going to ride changingoftheguard then as that one is a front runner.
    At the prices I would rather have him.

Thanks
    The market has moved towards Stone Age in the last week.
    Its almost joint favourites now. Certainly shows that stone age is being backed and not everbody sees desert crown as a good thing. Both dcrown and emily john in the oaks are way too short imho. I can see both being beaten. Bookies raking it in yet again.
    Last edited by Coach miguel; 19th May 2022 at 10:08 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,144 Times in 1,024 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Has anyone heard or seen any update on Point Lonsdale?
    I checked the market which he is now not in anymore, but I hadn't seen any news stating it?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,128 Times in 997 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marb View Post
    Has anyone heard or seen any update on Point Lonsdale?
    I checked the market which he is now not in anymore, but I hadn't seen any news stating it?
    St James palace,Ascot
    Irish Derby entries

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by reet hard View Post
    Form from steadily run contests is generally considered unreliable anyway,and I'd doubt SA has the versatily to both stretch and quicken.
    What does that even mean? I do love these cliche sweeping statements to write off a horse people don't fancy. If you don't think Stone Age is a Group 1 animal then you'll be proved wrong.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Outsider View Post
    So how are they going to ride changingoftheguard then as that one is a front runner.
    At the prices I would rather have him.
    If he gives Stone Age a lead that's even better.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Slim For This Useful Post:

Outsider (19th May 2022)

Thanks
    They tried that in the Dante (the premier Derby trial, run at a proper pace) and which horse finished strongest of the whole field?

Thanks
    They tried that in the Dante (the premier Derby trial, run at a proper pace) and which horse finished strongest of the whole field?
    Tried what? The Dante wasn't exactly vintage. It was priced up completely wrong initially with some unexposed horses way too short. The fact Royal Patronage went off joint fav says a lot about the race.

If you think a good pace to run at is good for Desert Crown then I'd suggest you haven't watched Richard Kingscote ride much. There will be a lot of Ballydoyle horses to pin him in. A lot could potentially go wrong for him to take away any class edge.
    Last edited by Slim; 20th May 2022 at 8:52 AM.

Thanks
    Keep dreaming,Slim

Thanks
    Keep dreaming,Slim
    I've had enough of this thread until June 4th

Thanks
    Slim
    I believe you're seriously under-estimating Royal Patronage. Mark Johnston billed him as a very,very good horse, and he's trained enough to know. RP has long been their Derby hope, hence the Epsom run early in his career and the outing at last year's Dante meeting.
    Fairly certain he was cocked and ready to fire in this season's Dante, so was amazed to see what Desert Crown did to him.
    Make no mistake, DC is probably a very high class colt, with a highly capable trainer, and a jockey you diss at your own peril, so I would tread carefully in supporting something to beat him.

Thanks
    Slim
    I believe you're seriously under-estimating Royal Patronage. Mark Johnston billed him as a very,very good horse, and he's trained enough to know. RP has long been their Derby hope, hence the Epsom run early in his career and the outing at last year's Dante meeting.
    Fairly certain he was cocked and ready to fire in this season's Dante, so was amazed to see what Desert Crown did to him.
    Make no mistake, DC is probably a very high class colt, with a highly capable trainer, and a jockey you diss at your own peril, so I would tread carefully in supporting something to beat him.
    That was a waste of an essay. Bar your last sentence I don't disagree with any of that.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    As I said earlier Aiden doesn't really know which of his has the best chance in the Derby and he said as much in a recent interview.

He trains them to come to the boil on the big day and some improve a little some improve by leaps and bounds
    and because of the way he trains them there's no real way of knowing which will come on more.

It's easy to assume Stone Age is the best of his but history tells us not assume anything with Aiden.

Bluegrass who probably needs 14furlongs or more ran Desert Crown to 5 3/4 lengths

I'd like to think Aiden has got a couple a lot better than him heading to Epsom.
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanlic View Post
    As I said earlier Aiden doesn't really know which of his has the best chance in the Derby and he said as much in a recent interview.

He trains them to come to the boil on the big day and some improve a little some improve by leaps and bounds
    and because of the way he trains them there's no real way of knowing which will come on more.

It's easy to assume Stone Age is the best of his but history tells us not assume anything with Aiden.

Bluegrass who probably needs 14furlongs or more ran Desert Crown to 5 3/4 lengths

I'd like to think Aiden has got a couple a lot better than him heading to Epsom.
    They are just playing Galileo bingo in recent years. Throw as many of them at the race as they can and see what sticks. That doesn't mean you can't assume Stone Age is the best of them, your eyes can tell you that.

Thanks

Thanks
    I've done RP at 25/1 for a E/W punt..probably put a couple more on nearer the day.
    Last edited by downsman; 21st May 2022 at 11:39 AM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    They are just playing Galileo bingo in recent years. Throw as many of them at the race as they can and see what sticks. That doesn't mean you can't assume Stone Age is the best of them, your eyes can tell you that.
    My eyes tell me he won a crap trial and looked like a stayer in the making He was no more impressive than Sir Dragonet or Bolshoi Ballet and many presumed the former was his best when he got stuffed by AVD.

This Derby has all the makings of coming up with a one hit wonder as not one of those entered has show the WOW facter associated witha really top class colt
    Last edited by Tanlic; 21st May 2022 at 12:58 PM.
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Nothing will get the trip better than Changingoftheguard and he has enough toe to steal a march on them round Tattenham Corner......I'll weigh in on him at 12/1 for a few quid and hope for the best.
    Formely Fist of Fury