Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2022 Derby Thread

Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 885 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barjon View Post
    Derby and Oaks draw | Timeform look at the impact of the stalls position over a mile and half at Epsom
    By Timeform
    15:03 · THU June 02, 2022
    After the draw was made for the 2022 Cazoo Derby, Timeform analyse how runners drawn in low numbers have fared in races over a mile and a half at Epsom.
    Is stall one a negative over the Derby course?

The theory that breaking from either stall 1 or 2 is a disadvantage over a mile and a half at Epsom has gained traction in recent years – and the data backs up the view.
    Adayar won last year's Derby when drawn in stall 1, but he was the first horse to accomplish that feat since Oath in 1999. Meanwhile, no Derby winner has broken from stall 2 since gates were introduced for the race in 1967.
    However, rather than focusing purely on winners or losers, a better way of assessing the impact of the draw is considering how many horses ran to form from that stall.
    The below graph – using data since the start of 2014 – highlights how horses drawn low over the Derby course and distance of a mile and a half at Epsom have run to form less frequently than those in the middle or high numbers.
    The effect of the draw over a mile and a half at Epsom

Attachment 2773

Only 41% of horses (from a sample size of 96) drawn in stall 1 have run to form over the course and distance since 2014. Royal Patronage, the mount of Jason Hart, has drawn the short straw in this year's Derby, while Tuesday and Ryan Moore will break from stall 1 in the Oaks.
    Similarly, only 42% of horses (from a sample size of 96) drawn in stall 2 have run to form during the same period. The Algarve, drawn in stall 2 for the Oaks, was already a big outsider before the draw was made, but Westover would have been on the radar as a lively runner at double-figure odds before he was landed with stall 2 in the Derby.
    There is a smaller sample size covering horses in the high numbers – each race is guaranteed to have a runner in stall 1 but may not have one in stall 16, for example – but the data suggests horses drawn middle or high show their form more frequently (this is not true of those drawn in stall 19, though that will be based on a limited sample).

Why can the low numbers be tricky to overcome?

Sometimes stats based on relatively low sample sizes can just be explained by variance and will level out over time. However, that is unlikely to be the case with this draw stat, as the course configuration provides a good reason for why those in gates 1 or 2 are at a disadvantage.
    There is an early right-hand turn, so horses drawn low are initially on the outer, rather than the inside, and need to go hard to get a prominent early position. The field then swing back to the left, meaning those held up from a low draw find horses coming across them and can be short of room.
    Former jockey Fran Berry, speaking on a Sporting Life podcast before last year's Derby, explained: "When you are drawn low you have so much running to do to get across.
    "It's not even just that running to that right-hand turn – you're going up a hill and with the congestion you get at the pinch point you invariably get a bump which knocks the stuffing out of your horse as they're climbing the hill.
    "It doesn't allow horses to get into a rhythm, get a breath, and it's very difficult to secure a smooth passage from that inside berth. You have to work extra hard to keep hold of your place and you can see why horses pay a price for it."
    Good old Timeform. Adayar won from stall 1 last year.
    Last edited by reet hard; 3rd June 2022 at 8:30 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,224 Times in 927 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by reet hard View Post
    Good old Timeform. Adayar won from stall 1 last year.
    To be fair, they do say as much in the article, reet. Adayar won last year's Derby when drawn in stall 1, but he was the first horse to accomplish that feat since Oath in 1999.
    Last edited by barjon; 3rd June 2022 at 9:06 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,129 Times in 998 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanlic View Post
    Just watched it again and Ryan rode Frankie to sleep. He went for home and grabbed about 3 or 4 lengths while Frankie was waiting for what?
    I have to say I agree with you.and I'm not talking through my pocket.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,144 Times in 1,024 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Another double post!
    Last edited by Marb; 3rd June 2022 at 9:37 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,144 Times in 1,024 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I wonder would he have kicked for home sooner had he not suffered at the start like he did?

Watching the replay it was clear Ryan asked for maximum effort on Tuesday in the home straight before Frankie did the same on Emilyjohn.

Maybe Frankie did give Emily too much of a breather while others were starting to get away from him?
    Last edited by Marb; 3rd June 2022 at 9:42 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,355 Times in 806 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It was a short head.
    Ryan is riding in a different zone this season, I suspect it has to do with his brother's injury , having seen similar concentration of effort by quiet, calm, dedicated farmer clients of mine when a family member was terminally ill.
    It is a form of coping with a bad situation.
    Hard to criticise Frankie except for his first post race comments that Ryan had the rail and he had to come outside, but that was heat of the moment comment also.
    Two top fillies.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to edgt For This Useful Post:

Slim (4th June 2022)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Marb View Post
    I wonder would he have kicked for home sooner had he not suffered at the start like he did?
    Correct.

That said, look at the fractions. He'll wished he did a couple of things differently.

Tuesday being overlooked here. Look where she has come from aswell. Was hardly foot perfect in last couple of furlongs either.
    All comers, all grounds, all beaten!

This perfect mix of poetry and destruction.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,355 Times in 806 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It was a short head.
    Ryan is riding in a different zone this season, I suspect it has to do with his brother's injury , having seen similar concentration of effort by quiet, calm, dedicated farmer clients of mine when a family member was terminally ill.
    It is a form of coping with a bad situation.
    Hard to criticise Frankie except for his first post race comments that Ryan had the rail and he had to come outside, but that was heat of the moment comment also.
    Two top fillies.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to edgt For This Useful Post:

an capall (4th June 2022), Desert Orchid (4th June 2022), Tanlic (4th June 2022)

Thanks
    Think Frankie lost it is as well. Thought he had the field covered when getting upsides 2f out, took the foot off the accelerator, and again 100yards out when he thought he could win a snug head without giving it the kitchen sink. Two good horses. Unlike the jumps don't have to wait 12 months for the rematch.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to HawkWing For This Useful Post:

Outsider (4th June 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 885 Posts
    Had a look at the draw for the past few years, and while it's true stalls 1-10 are favoured, it's not impossible to win from higher, and I reckon Desert Crown's superiority is more than enough to overcome doubts, so I've taken the 9/4 he'll prove it.
    Also had a small ew on Royal Patronage (33/1 4pl) as I believe the Dante form to be rock solid.
    Last edited by reet hard; 4th June 2022 at 6:20 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,499 Times in 2,755 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HawkWing View Post
    Think Frankie lost it is as well. Thought he had the field covered when getting upsides 2f out, took the foot off the accelerator, and again 100yards out when he thought he could win a snug head without giving it the kitchen sink. Two good horses. Unlike the jumps don't have to wait 12 months for the rematch.
    I would largely agree with this although I'd imagine his reasoning was based on the lost ground through the first furlong and not wanting to leave the filly's season - and possibly career - here.

I thought Moore was brilliant on the winner too.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Definitely lost the race at the beginning. But the move the made when coming from the back got her to the front (a length off the lead) far quicker than Frankie expected. He took the briefest of pulls (understandably) at the time that Moore was quickening. Got him a cheap 1.5l lead. Super race, all said
    Last edited by HawkWing; 4th June 2022 at 7:52 AM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    If it was up to me I'd breed the runner up with John Leeper. I'd call the offspring John UpEmily.
    "And still they gazed and still the wonder grew. That one small head could carry all he knew.

And that small head knew that Impaire Et Passe would win the Champion Hurdle."

17. The Following User Says Thank You to an capall For This Useful Post:

LUKE (4th June 2022)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    After losing the ground at the stalls, did Dettori make a mistake in making up the ground whilst running uphill, should he have waited for the course to level off before recovering the ground? Trying to make ground while travelling uphill is allegedly very demanding. Easy with hindsight though isn't it. Did he have to come wide around the field? Would a pathway have opened up he'd waited? I feel sorry for connections, I think we can say that the best fillyon the day finished second. And as Jinny pointed out above, she is a really lovely filly and it seems a shame that she isn't the Oaks winner.
    Ah! but a man's reach should exceed his grasp......

Thanks
    Not much pace early on so was easy enough to peg back and fill her up.
    All comers, all grounds, all beaten!

This perfect mix of poetry and destruction.

Thanks
    I can't see where they will meet again this summer.

Thanks

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post
    Yeah, perhaps. York/Leopardsrtown.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,243 Times in 632 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Orchid View Post
    I thought Moore was brilliant on the winner too.
    You been on the sauce writing this?
    tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito

Thanks
    Thanked 3,499 Times in 2,755 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jinnyj View Post
    You been on the sauce writing this?
    Just being fair-minded, fair maiden
    Illegitimi non carborundum