Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Thread: Frost vs Dunne

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Gibbon rode for my old pal John Quinn for a couple of seasons but he went off thr rails with drink.

No idea who threatened him but he wasn't Jim Crowley's best pal.

Tylicki wants 6 million compensation I see..even if he wins his case the big question is how much is Gibbins worth nowadays.
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I presume Gibbons has some kind of liability insurance. Otherwise why bother?
    "And still they gazed and still the wonder grew. That one small head could carry all he knew.

And that small head knew that Impaire Et Passe would win the Champion Hurdle."

Thanks
    Wrong to conflate the 2 cases. One is a private suit in a court of law, the other is a disciplinary hearing where no-one is swearing to tell the whole truth.
    The older I get the better I was.

Thanks
    That's a fair point but they're similar in that neither case is going to see either party come out of it well. Tylicki is the only one with anything of real value to gain but I'm sure he'd gladly give it up as an alternative to his condition.
    Alcohol, because no good story ever started with "I was eating this salad..."

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by an capall View Post
    I presume Gibbons has some kind of liability insurance. Otherwise why bother?
    His insurance company would surely invalidate it if he was under the influence of alcohol, Jim Crowley did Tylicki no favours with that testimony.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxbet View Post
    His insurance company would surely invalidate it if he was under the influence of alcohol, Jim Crowley did Tylicki no favours with that testimony.
    There is no way they can prove that retrospectively, so wouldn't/shouldn't really be used as evidence. Someone could say no he didn't. . Does beg the question if Crowley thought Gibbons smelt of it that obviously why didn't he tell someone, or was it just a case of he always smelt like that and so didn't see the point, or just didn't want to be the one to tell on a fellow jock? Are/were those sort of tests random, and he got away with it for a lot of occasions it seems, or are all jockeys meant to take one every time? I saw the quote about the urine sample, would sadly suspect he's not the first to have done that.

Bryony in tears at points I saw on a very ineloquent Twitter post by someone who was attending.
    Vote Alfie!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,128 Times in 2,052 Posts
    "The owls are not what they seem"

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxbet View Post
    I didn't quite get where he was coming from Max until I really thought about it. He stated Gibbons was stinking of drink on one hand and the other claimed he showed no sign of being drunk.

When you think logically though what's a jury going to think.

If someone is stinking with drink because they were drinking the previous night or into the wee small hours

Then goes to bed and later that day jump in their car what's the chances they would pass a breathalyser?

I reckon the testimony was pretty damning and Crowley would probably have been coached not to come straight out with "I think he was drunk"

I am not a lawyer but I think a statement like that can backfire on a prosecuter.

I'd be happy to bet Gibbons who was a serial drinker is going to lose.
    Last edited by Tanlic; 2nd December 2021 at 3:20 PM.
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Thanked 1,566 Times in 1,119 Posts
    Blog Entries
    They have this thing called 'evidence' in courtroom scenarios these days, Fist.

Someone saying "He was stinking of drink" is not the same thing as someone having evidence of Gibbons being drunk/over-the-limit.

Chances are the Judge will instruct the jury to ignore those statements when considering their verdict.
    Last edited by Grasshopper; 2nd December 2021 at 3:25 PM.
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    That's why I said he would have been coached to create enough doubt in the minds of jurors.

The judge IMO wont tell them to ignore what Crowley said about him reeking of drink because that was a backed up fact.

If he had said in his opinion he was drunk, the judge would have thrown that out in a flash.

As it stands the jury have now got to make their minds up and with his drinking record I think he's fooked mate.
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by granger View Post
    An alpha dressing room where the senior jockeys did not see fit to stand in

A reflection on them also

This is of course based on the premise that what is being reported is true or even mostly true
    I spent a lot of time in the company of NH Jockeys in the 80's and Guys like Alan Brown, Ron Barry, Mark Dwyer David Goulding, Tony Charlton, Jonjo and Don Nolan never stopped talking the **** out of someone/each other.

Michael Dickingson was a pain in the ass who couldn't take a joke but just about everyone else defended themselves and acceted the fact the dressing room is one tough place.

My point is most of the Jockeys wouldn't come forward and take sides.

However the flashing bit was way beyond a joke but most jockeys would just laugh that off no matter how politically incorret we think it was.

As I wasn't there I have no idea what to think to be honest other than I don't think it should have gone as far as it has and Dunne seems to come across as a bit of a dick.
    Last edited by Tanlic; 2nd December 2021 at 4:00 PM.
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    You might be right, Fist. This is a civil trial, and reference to previous convictions is permitted, it seems.

Is it the case that Gibbons has convictions for being drunk? Has he ever been stood-down at a meeting for failing a breathalyser test (perhaps that might qualify as evidence)? If the answer to both is 'No', then surely it's just hearsay on the part of Crowley in the eyes of the court?

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Thanked 4,128 Times in 2,052 Posts
    Gibbons was once jailed for drink driving after four convictions
    "The owls are not what they seem"

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    His record goes way back. When he was riding with John Quinn he was stood down for a month which was drink related

He was banned 3 or 4 times for drink driving offences then barred for a few years....would have hated to pay his car insurance.

Despite that trainers continued to use him but he was caught on cocaine and then accused of swapping his urine sample with another jockey.

Guy was a walking time bomb but a helluva good jockey. He rode Pevensey and Blthyth Knight wich helped put John Quin on the map.

He also rode that monster of a sprinter for Easterby whos name escapes me.

We used to call him the George Best of racing
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    That perhaps does put a slightly different angle on things.

Unsurprisingly, I'd never heard of him until this negligence trial kicked-off.

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by redundant pal View Post
    I thought Russell didn’t take a drink?

The only horse outside of Frodon was Santini who needed daylight for obvious reasons.

If he watched the race he’ll see Sheehan continually tried to get up Frodon’s inside only for Bryony to close the gap. Indeed he almost clipped heels with Frodon before the turn in. She intentionally left a gap to invite them up her inside knowing full well she had the horse to close it as she was dictating the pace.

Pure rubbish.
    I wrote the above after the King George last year - I see Sheehan referenced this aspect of Bryony's riding in his statement:

“He said on occasion Ms Frost does silly things and doesn’t care about the other jockeys in the race but that she is a brilliant jockey. She often lines up wide and all of a sudden wheels her way in.”

However, when further questioned by the BHA’s John Dunne on September 27 this year, Sheehan said: “In addition I also told Mr Watts that after the race I was going to see the stewards to suggest to them that they speak to Ms Frost about her riding, but I saw that John Flint was waiting to see them so I left it.”

Incidentally I think it's a clever style of riding to leave a gap to invite others to have a go and then close it when they try but it appears to irk some of her weighroom colleagues.

I think she also is a a superior rider (especially over fences) to both Sheehan and Scudamore.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by barjon View Post
    If Luke means today’s article - She was questioned although in the dock - and it wasn’t comfortable viewing - I can’t see how it was horrendous. It is, after all, about Bryony’s evidence in court so bound to reflect that side of the story.

I was referring to RP dated 1/12/21 page 2-Motorhead not even pretending to be impartial.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to LUKE For This Useful Post:

barjon (2nd December 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,499 Times in 2,755 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redundant pal View Post
    Incidentally I think it's a clever style of riding to leave a gap to invite others to have a go and then close it when they try but it appears to irk some of her weighroom colleagues.
    Both Ruby Walsh and Fitzgerald would commend such race-riding tactics.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
    That perhaps does put a slightly different angle on things.

Unsurprisingly, I'd never heard of him until this negligence trial kicked-off.
    I only knew him because he rode for John Quinn who rode for me over the jumps several times

John got married to Tony Charlton's widow when he died and eventually took over running Bellwood Cottages

2 years later Gibbons won the Lincoln on Blythe Kninght at Redcar and 3 other major races for John plus he won at Royal Ascot for him.

I'm really surprised you don't remember him he won the Gimcrack a few years later and was on the go for years.

Despite his bad rep re drink he was like the **** of the north with Yorkshire based trainers,

Mind you grassy I never knew Ryan Moore was Goerge Moores son and Joshua and Jamie was his brothers until a few months ago.

Don't know about you but in the last 20 years I have gone from 60% jumps 40% flat to 95% jumps and 5% flat.

The only thing that has really caught my attention on the flat is Zenyatta dancing
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    What’s a Gimcrack??

SlimChance, March 2018

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Grasshopper For This Useful Post:

Diamond Geezer (3rd December 2021)