Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567

Thread: Ladbrokes Trophy (ex Hennessy Gold Cup) Newbury Sat Nov 27th 2021

Thanks
    Thanked 3,499 Times in 2,755 Posts
    Indeed, he can't be touched, his fall having taken place too far out.

Currently on 146, they might want to get him up a couple of pounds if Aintree is on the agenda. I don't think they'll want to be sweating about making the cut leading up to the 48-hour decs.

Whether he can afford to win a lesser race now is maybe open to question. Winning the Hennessy, given its value, was maybe a gamble worth taking but the world and his wife will be interested in Remastered when he next appears.

They'd maybe prefer to place in a decent race, go up to about 148/149 and maybe win something like the Eider after the weights come out, when he can't earn a penalty.

Interesting enough in his own right, though.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tiggers1972 View Post
    Cloudy Glen up 10lbs

Fiddlerontheroof up 9lbs
    So if the race was tomorrow Fiddleronthehoof would be asked to do a Denman and carry 11st13lbs and he didn't even win the race.

These penalties are to my mind way too severe. Most likely the winner wont see the winners enclosure again for the next 3 years
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Orchid View Post

Currently on 146, they might want to get him up a couple of pounds if Aintree is on the agenda. I don't think they'll want to be sweating about making the cut leading up to the 48-hour decs.

Whether he can afford to win a lesser race now is maybe open to question. Winning the Hennessy, given its value, was maybe a gamble worth taking but the world and his wife will be interested in Remastered when he next appears.

They'd maybe prefer to place in a decent race, go up to about 148/149 and maybe win something like the Eider after the weights come out, when he can't earn a penalty.

Think he would be a lot better than the Eider. Can you supplement for the Paddy Power? Probably end up in the Cotswold.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,119 Posts
    Blog Entries

Same connections of Native River, and I don't think the owners are enthusiastic about running their horses in the Nash. I also felt he shaped like he didn't quite stay 3m6f in the NH Chase.

The Cotswold Chase on the Trials Card at end-January quite often cuts up. It's worth nearly £60K to the winner and £22K to the second - I can see them maybe having a go there to see what they've got, rather than trying to win a handicap.

Edit: Sorry, just seeing HW has suggested similar.
    Last edited by Grasshopper; 30th November 2021 at 5:26 PM.
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Sectional Spotlight | At The Races

I'm always keen to read Simon Rowlands's sectional analyses on the big races but I have to confess his take on Demachine in the Ladbrokes Trophy has me flummoxed.

I can see why he'd want to upgrade Cloth Cap who made the running at what was clearly a good pace and paid the price but I see no grounds for a mark-up for Demachine or why he might be one worth taking from the race.

He was in the second half of the field, looking as though he was tracking Fiddlerontheroof by a few lengths all the way and did close up to be almost level by the end of the back straight on the final circuit but thereafter the principals ran away from him. If he was slowing down it wasn't due to using up too much energy on the first circuit, it was because he wasn't good enough to keep his challenge going.

Having watched the race again a couple of times, I'm more and more impressed by the winner. Deutsch still had him on a tight rein going to four out. Gillard's forward move on Remastered might have been a tad premature, maybe a surge of adrenaline, thinking this was his big chance.

There has to be a chance he would have run out of steam at some point but I wouldn't argue against any belief that he would have won.

Cloudy Glen was quicker away from his fences than Fiddler, especially at the last. Anything less than that would have cost him the race.

I reckon Cloudy Glen has just improved more than could have been anticipated and Fiddler can count himself very unlucky to have bumped into one.

Take the winner out of the race and all that...
    Last edited by Desert Orchid; 30th November 2021 at 5:59 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 885 Posts
    Cloudy Glen has improved 7lb (RPR) since his Kim Muir 2nd; apparenly due to the wind op.

Thanks
    I do think Fiddler was unlucky to run into one. And if Remastered would have finished thereabouts, it was the progressive horses that ended up 15l ahead of the exposed ones. It could end up being one of those v good hennesseys.

I backed Cloudy Glen for the Welsh National after he won at Fontwell last year. He looked a tool then. I looked a tool after he finished no place in a middle of the road staying handicap soon after at Sandown (too much my money on him). I think they got him right for this but I wouldn't fancy him to repeat the performance, wind or no wind, after the way last year went.

Maybe put him away for the National.
    Last edited by HawkWing; 30th November 2021 at 7:29 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 885 Posts
    TBH, I believe it was the strong pace, rather than the wind-op, that was responsible for the improvement, and Venetia's astute enough to have saved him for this, after disappointing at Aintree.

Thanks
    Indeed, [Remastered] can't be touched, his fall having taken place too far out.

Lacked fluency at a few fences and I wonder about whether he'd take to Aintree. Maybe they thought they could get away with this race today after being roughed off following the Hennessy. Might still go up a pound, though.

Thanks
    I don’t think I’d go near Remastered at any trip beyond 3m

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk