Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Thread: Road to the 2022 Champion Hurdle

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 738 Posts
    To all,

If you were lucky enough to have 100k and go buy a horse, would your aim be to have a chaser or a hurdler
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Thanked 1,355 Times in 806 Posts
    Blog Entries
    A p2per to start with; if they can make it there they can make it anywhere !

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by granger View Post
    To all,

If you were lucky enough to have 100k and go buy a horse, would your aim be to have a chaser or a hurdler
    Strangely enough the distance and the horses page/pedigree would determine my preference. Over the minimum trip I’d be looking at a hurdler.

Anything over 20f I’d prefer a chaser.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 3,499 Times in 2,755 Posts
    To all,

I think it would depend on what was up for sale. I'm the type who can't buy a car without doing masses of research and if I got the chance of a likely 170+ hurdler over a 150 chaser for the same money I'd go for the hurdler.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,119 Posts
    Blog Entries
    For £100K, I doubt I'm getting a 170+ anything, so will assume I'm buying a handicapper.

That being the case, I'd want a chaser. Veterans races would extend my horse's active career, and hurdling doesn't afford the same opportunities.
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Thanked 1,224 Times in 927 Posts
    Blog Entries
    So many chases seem to have such small fields nowadays - I think I’d want a bit more fun than that for my money so would go for a hurdler

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
    For £100K, I doubt I'm getting a 170+ anything, so will assume I'm buying a handicapper.

That being the case, I'd want a chaser. Veterans races would extend my horse's active career, and hurdling doesn't afford the same opportunities.
    Didn't they introduce veterans' hurdles last season?

Other than that I agree with the principle but I'm always looking for maximum bang for my buck.

(I shudder to think what kind of quandary I'd be in if I visited a brothel...)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,119 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Orchid View Post
    Just go and figure it out once you're there.
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Grasshopper For This Useful Post:

Desert Orchid (13th October 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 738 Posts
    Didn't they introduce veterans' hurdles last season?

Other than that I agree with the principle but I'm always looking for maximum bang for my buck.

I know a guy who can hook you up Mo

Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    I know a guy who can hook you up Mo

Guys don't interest me

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Desert Orchid For This Useful Post:

granger (13th October 2021)

Thanks
    Equivalent to 172(p) for males.

Very good but not exceptional.

We're long overdue a 175+ hurdler.
    I think Honeysuckle will before the season is out. She's close now and she's doing it easily.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Maruco View Post
    I think Honeysuckle will before the season is out. She's close now and she's doing it easily.
    Accepted and agreed.

But the 7lbs allowance can't be ignored. It just makes it all the harder for males to beat her. And the males are pretty ordinary with no real prospects coming through.

All in all it's a pretty bleak picture for hurdlers.

Thanks
    Which ever of Fernys hollow or Appreciate It is decided to be superfluous to the chasing recruits will be a serious challenger

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Beef or Salmon View Post
    Which ever of Fernys hollow or Appreciate It is decided to be superfluous to the chasing recruits will be a serious challenger
    This is my hope too BoS. I want to see Ferny stay over hurdles.

Willie has enough talent to split up in the novice chases, and he can easily hold one back for the Champion Hurdle. Ferny is a year younger than Appreciate It so he would be the more likely you'd think. Appreciate It would be left in no mans land if he failed in a Champion Hurdle bid at his age.

The problem is I can't help thinking they might set their sights on Bob Olinger with Ferny. And you could understand why if they did.

Thanks
    I suppose it's an indication of how poor this season's Champion Hurdle is - Honeysuckle apart - that we can go from 12 October without adding to the thread.

So...

This is from the Handicapper's Blog, referring to the hurdle races over the festive period (I presume he's limiting his observations to the UK):

The Christmas Hurdle didn’t even produce the best performance in the 2m division domestically over the festive period. That honour went to Musselburgh’s Betway Hogmaneigh Handicap in which TOMMY'S OSCAR defied top weight and a mark of 150 pretty readily to score by six lengths from southern raider Christopher Wood, earning himself a rise to 156. Small-field graded events will present him with a different test (and opposition), with connections indicating Haydock’s Champion Hurdle Trial will be next, but he’s been very progressive so far this season and has more than earned his place.
    The link to the blog:

Handicappers' blog | At The Races

(The phrase "Don't say you weren't told" is buzzing around my head for some reason... )
    Last edited by Desert Orchid; 6th January 2022 at 11:37 PM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Desert Orchid For This Useful Post:

Outsider (7th January 2022)

Thanks
    Its that bad this year Buveur D’air has an entry and Im debating whether he’s worth a poke e/w

Edit. Ive had a few beverages and it says ‘possible entries’. Still.
    Last edited by Double J; 7th January 2022 at 2:48 AM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Look at it this way if Honeysuckle did not exist and as if I suspect Appreciate It doesn't run in the Champion Hurdle you would have 2 horses with 14 Group 1 wins including 3 Champion Hurdles beteen them competing for the title.

There would be loads of debate and no one would be saying it was a poor Champion Hurdle.

Add to that Ferny Hollow and Bob Olinger may well have stayed hurdling but they haven't because Honeysuckle is so good she has scared them all away.

Keep a hold of your money DJ the reason Buvi is only being quoted by Unibet and no one else is because they know damn well he isn't running.

Honeysuckle to my mind is the best since Istabraq and I see no reason why she can't win 3 and possible be the first to win 4 Champion Hurdles.

It will be an added bonus to her if Constitution Hill and Jobon fill the first 2 places in the Supreme as Nicky has made no secret about both their futures being over fences.

It's going to take something really special or God forbid injury to dethrone her.
    Last edited by Tanlic; 7th January 2022 at 4:29 AM.
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Double J View Post
    Its that bad this year Buveur D’air has an entry and Im debating whether he’s worth a poke e/w

Edit. Ive had a few beverages and it says ‘possible entries’. Still.
    Or...

He's currently on 157. How about a run in midfield in the Haydock Trial or whatever to get his mark down to 153 ahead of a pop at the County. Petit Mouchoir ran very well in it last season off 155 and he wouldn't get a sniff of BDA's erse. (Not that he would want a sniff of BDA's erse, I imagine.)

Thanks
    Or...

He's currently on 157. How about a run in midfield in the Haydock Trial or whatever to get his mark down to 153 ahead of a pop at the County. Petit Mouchoir ran very well in it last season off 155 and he wouldn't get a sniff of BDA's erse. (Not that he would want a sniff of BDA's erse, I imagine.)
    Ive been thinking of one for County, and Ruby mentioned it last night.

Echoes In Rain. Feeling it’ll follow the Aramon route of County and Galway Hurdle. Think Buveur could be primed to run into a place in the Champion. Thought he’d been retired tbh. Worse shouts though, with Saint Roi and Epatante likely running in it already for JP.
    Last edited by Double J; 7th January 2022 at 11:50 AM.

Thanks
    To all,

I'd be buying the dip.