Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Noted in Running: Jumps 21/22

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 925 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Post #22 Pic D'orhy runs tomorrow Ascot 2:55, early price evens - maybe another skinny price to leave alone.

Thanks
    One that went into my notebook was Gladiateur Allan. Looked a natural at Exeter and despite giving 3lbs tomorrow, at the prices 6/1, I'm happy to take the chance. Would be looking for him in the without market also.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to HawkWing For This Useful Post:

barjon (16th December 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,483 Times in 2,743 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barjon View Post
    Post #22 Pic D'orhy runs tomorrow Ascot 2:55, early price evens - maybe another skinny price to leave alone.
    Even money first time up after a fall is seldom a good move, I reckon, but the chances are this is a much weaker race. I haven't checked it out yet but I imagine it's intended to be a lap of honour to get its confidence back.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    ONEUPMANSHIP

Ffos Las 16 December
    Cazoo Novices' Handicap Chase (GBB Race)
    2m5f, Class 4, £3,594.36
    Going: Heavy

Ran off 120. Travelled prominently and moved like the best horse in the race to my eye. Jumping was generally sound , although tended to go right a bit. Stumbled a little at the third last, but continued to run easily on the bridle whilst all others were working hard. Took a nasty fall second last, but would have certainly competed otherwise. It was a heavy fall, though, so I hope he’s not damaged and it doesn’t stick in his mind.
    Last edited by barjon; 16th December 2021 at 10:29 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to barjon For This Useful Post:

Desert Orchid (16th December 2021)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Won 5/4 in the end. Sure was a victory parade, desert.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to barjon For This Useful Post:

Desert Orchid (17th December 2021)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Post #14 Garry Clermont runs tomorrow 3:35 Ascot, early price 14/1

3rd @ 9/1
    Last edited by barjon; 18th December 2021 at 4:42 PM.

Thanks
    Won 5/4 in the end. Sure was a victory parade, desert.
    Would like to see him dropped to 2m and allowed to really stride on. His jumping is much, much better when he's not under restraint. Absolutely flew the last two today when given his head.

Talk of the Scilly Isles afterwards and then Aintree.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonjers View Post
    Would like to see him dropped to 2m and allowed to really stride on. His jumping is much, much better when he's not under restraint. Absolutely flew the last two today when given his head.

Talk of the Scilly Isles afterwards and then Aintree.
    Just watched the replay and I agree about the pace element. His jumping at Newbury was consistently better, impressive at times, when striding on. I think today was an educational and he was just too good for them.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Desert Orchid For This Useful Post:

Bonjers (17th December 2021)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    ADRIMEL

Haydock 18 December
    Virgin Bet Novices' Chase (GBB Race)
    2m½f, Class 3, £7,563.27
    Going: Soft

I was expecting great things from Adrimel last term. Unfortunately the wheels fell off after a good start, although he was highly tried. Matters didn’t seem to have improved on his chasing debut last time at Exeter where he was pulled up behind Gladiateur Allen. Lacey took the blame for running him without headgear on ground not soft enough. He had both ground and blinkers today as well as his mojo back and it was good to see.

Only a small race, but he jumped well and made short work of a decent enough favourite. He should go on from here.

Thanks
    Apologies if not the correct thread but in the bumper at Arsecot yesterday, Authorised Speed ( they didn't think too hard about the name ) , ran a really good second. Absolutely stunning horse, still not the finished article, but seriously lovely and one I'll keep any eye on for the rest of the season.
    Vote Alfie!!!!

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to G-G For This Useful Post:

barjon (18th December 2021), Desert Orchid (18th December 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,108 Times in 979 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Outsider View Post
    27/11/2021

SARATOGA LASS(ire) finished 6th in a bumper and was ridden by John Riddington who didnt look as if he wanted to to break into a sweat.
    Could have to wait a while but I'm used to being patient.im sure it can run better with a better jockey.
    Runs at thurles tomorrow in the bumper,same jockey.probably have to wait until it goes hcap hurdling.
    Just a watching brief tomorrow.
    Last edited by Outsider; 18th December 2021 at 10:28 PM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    TINY TANTRUM

Fakenham 19 December
    New Year's Day Racing At Fakenham Handicap Hurdle (Fakenham Double Up Bonus Race)
    2m7½f, Class 4, £4,683.56
    Going: Good To Soft

Although the side-on view looked as though Tiny Tantrum was the culprit the head-on must have told a different story since the stewards felt the winner had caused interference just before the last. The two were level pegging at time, albeit the winner looking the stronger, but it cost Tiny Tantrum two or three lengths which was reduced to one by the post. Could have quite easily been awarded the race, I think. The rest were miles behind. Ran off 95 and looks as though he can compete at this level off that.

An enquiry was held to consider the placings in this race after interference on the approach to the final hurdle when the winner, LELANTOS (IRE), ridden by Nico de Boinville, interfered with TINY TANTRUM (IRE), placed second, ridden by Jack Quinlan. The Stewards found that the interference had not improved LELANTOS (IRE)’s placing as even though TINY TANTRUM (IRE) lost some momentum as a result of the interference, the gelding was always being held by LELANTOS (IRE) on the run to the line to be beaten by 1¼ lengths. The interference was found to be accidental in that LELANTOS (IRE) shifted sharply right-handed before being quickly corrected, unbalancing and carrying TINY TANTRUM (IRE) off its intended line.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Runs at thurles tomorrow in the bumper,same jockey.probably have to wait until it goes hcap hurdling.
    Just a watching brief tomorrow.
    Another non trying run.last all the way without breaking sweat and came through the fog to finish 5th.take out the winner and it was only about 8L behind the 2nd.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Another non trying run.last all the way without breaking sweat and came through the fog to finish 5th.take out the winner and it was only about 8L behind the 2nd.
    That’s just the ticket then. Roll on h’cap.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Post #10 Run to Milan runs tomorrow Newbury 2:35, early price 14/1 - run into 4th since post
    Post #31 On the Ropes runs tomorrow Leopardstown 1:45, early price 9/2
    Post #34 Fern Hill runs tomorrow Newbury 3:35, early price 11/4

Run to Milan 4th again - 28/1 and extended place paid out.
    On the Ropes upl
    Fern Hill 2nd 11/4
    Last edited by barjon; 29th December 2021 at 6:54 PM.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to barjon For This Useful Post:

Desert Orchid (28th December 2021)

Thanks
    Leopardstown today (29 December), G1 3m novice chase - Vanillier

That looked a hot race. I had Fury Road second-top rated (to Run Wild Fred) but the fav had already shown improvement from his hurdles form and I half-expected Fury Road to improve past him but I wanted more from Vanillier who still ran well until the jockey stopped asking him to have a go at his fences about a mile from home and he repeatedly lost ground and momentum thereafter, bar maybe at one fence. It's entirely possible Vanillier softened RWF up for the challenge from FR.

I wouldn't give up on Vanillier. He is a lot better than the bare result and will show it as he gets braver at his fences. He's a year younger than the first two, after all.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Desert Orchid For This Useful Post:

barjon (29th December 2021), Outsider (2nd January 2022)

Thanks
    Leopardstown 29 December - Saint Roi - Deserves a huge mark-up for going a suicidal pace up front and still not beaten far at the line with the other front-runner Petit Mouchoir fading out the back of the telly.

There's a fair chance he won't actually go for the Champion Hurdle but if Epatante is the best JP has over here then I don't see why Saint Roi shouldn't be allowed to take his chance. He might also have a shout off likely top-weight in the County off 155, assuming the handicapper leaves him alone.

Either way, it will be very interesting to see where they go with him now.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Desert Orchid For This Useful Post:

barjon (29th December 2021), edgt (29th December 2021)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    HILLCREST

Cheltenham 1 January
    Ballymore Novices' Hurdle (Listed Race) (GBB Race)
    2m4½f, Class 1, £14,237.50
    Going: Soft

I don’t think Nicky Henderson can be wildly adrift in the very high regard he has for I Am Maximus, but Hillcrest just galloped him into the ground after the last leaving the rest of a decent field toiling in their wake. Hillcrest must be some horse, he’s built like a brick blockhouse and a chaser type through and through who has no business winning hurdle races so easily.

He looks as though he’s going to be really something when he’s got fences in front of him and I can’t wait to see him get going.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    ART APPROVAL Just my opinion but I thought Brennan gave this an awful ride today and I will be interested if this now runs in a pertemps qualifier and would probably need to win.rated in the 120s.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Outsider For This Useful Post:

barjon (2nd January 2022)

Thanks
    Funambule Sivola

Cheltenham Jan 01
    £100k hcap chase, 2,4f+

This was my main bet in the race so I watching it very closely.

My expectation levels were dampened as they jumped off. I was hoping that, with plenty of 2-mile pace in his form, he'd be ridden prominently, something at which jockey Deutsch is very adept, but, alas, he was anchored early. He was in the final three for most of the first circuit and made very gradual ground as they moved out into the country, seemingly travelling very comfortably. When they got to the top of the hill my hopes were starting to rise as he made ground despite a slight error five out. My hopes rose further as he got closer going to out and at this point I was thinking maybe Deutsch had known all along he had the horsepower beneath him but, a shake of the rein and a pathetic wave of the whip in thin air later, he was starting to ease off.

Right now I have no idea if he was being ridden for stamina which, ultimately, he doesn't have, or if he wasn't fit and was looked after accordingly but, either way, I imagine sooner or later we will see what this horse is capable of.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Desert Orchid For This Useful Post:

barjon (2nd January 2022), Bonjers (2nd January 2022)