Page 1 of 12 12345611 ... LastLast

Thread: Noted in Running: Jumps 21/22

Thanks
    Thanked 1,224 Times in 927 Posts
    Blog Entries

Noted in Running: Jumps 21/22

HERMES BOY

Worcester 7 October
    Myson Radiators EBF "National Hunt" Novices' Hurdle (Qualifier) (GBB Race)
    2m, Class 4, £4,629.10
    Going: Good To Soft

Hermes Boy ran a nice race, mostly toward the rear half of the field. He was pretty crisp over the hurdles, looked quite at home and he was never put under an ounce of pressure by Chester Williams yet still managed to snatch second place at the death, well outrunning his 16/1 price. It’s no surprise that the Stewards took a dim view of the efforts of Chester Williams (or apparent lack of them) and I think Hermes Boy is certainly one to watch.

Chester Williams was interviewed to explain his riding of HERMES BOY (FR), placed second, beaten by 3 ¼ lengths, in the home straight. Williams stated his instructions were to jump off in mid division and try to creep into the race. He added that he found himself closer to the pace than he had wanted to be and that in the home straight HERMES BOY (FR) was lugging right-handed, so he therefore felt it prudent to keep the gelding balance, finishing second to obtain its best possible placing. The explanation from Williams was noted, however he was fined £140 under rule (G)18 as he had failed to report at Scales any of the evidence tendered during the enquiry as reasons for his riding, or the gelding’s performance.
    Last edited by barjon; 7th October 2021 at 8:20 PM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    TEA CLIPPER

Chepstow 9th October
    Dunraven Windows Novices' Chase (Listed Race) (For The Robert Mottram Memorial Trophy) (GBB Race)
    2m3½f, Class 1, £19,932.50
    Going: Good

Only five runners in this (what is it with trainers who turn their noses up at £20,000 Class 1 races whilst sitting at home moaning about prize money), but Tea Clipper did well to run out a fairly comfortable winner on his first try over fences against more experienced opponents. Jumped well and it was a pretty impressive start for him. The only problem is that he needs decent ground so we might not see much of him if the weather turns nasty.

As Tom Lacey said afterwards: TEA CLIPPER was placed at Cheltenham and Aintree and he's a good-ground horse so there's no point trying to campaign him in mid-winter. We got him in in plenty of time and this was always our target before he went out in the summer. We'll go up in trip. We'll try to do Cheltenham and Aintree again and in the depths of winter we'll have a nice holiday. You'd like to think he's a Graded horse.

Thanks
    He should get as much experience into him has he can before the weather breaks and then in my opinion aim him at the National Hunt Chase.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Maruco For This Useful Post:

barjon (11th October 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 738 Posts
    Pardon my ignorance - What is the goal of this thread?
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by granger View Post
    Pardon my ignorance - What is the goal of this thread?
    Same as any tracker - hope you (and others) add some that catch your eye.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to barjon For This Useful Post:

granger (12th October 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 885 Posts
    It''s a good idea,and a pointer to possible future wiiners - whiich had some success during the flat season.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    BRORSON

Cheltenham 22 October
    Foundation Developments Maiden Hurdle (GBB Race)
    2m½f, Class 3, £7,804.50

I had been waiting patiently to see Go Dante in this race, but he was withdrawn. I did have a secondary interest with Brorson - who had run quite well on his hurdling debut at Bangor - but not much of one since he was 33/1 early price. Opened at 16/1 he tumbled to 4/1 third favourite in the end.

As for the race he raced at the head of things until he got engulfed by two or three inside the last furlong, but then showed some renewed vigour to finish 3/4 length second to the favourite. The support was not misplaced and I think they’ll get their money back ok.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    BE THE DIFFERENCE

Wetherby 29 October
    bet365 Novices' Handicap Hurdle (GBB Race) (Div II)
    2m5½f, Class 4, £3,158.68

Be the Difference opened up at 5/1 and was heavily supported down to 6/4 favourite by the off. As he cruised towards the head of things coming into the straight his supporters must have been counting their money. They hadn’t, though, counted on him being barged across the track after the third last by Flexi Furlough, nor collecting a repeat dose after the second last. No surprise he blundered at the last and he couldn’t do anything about the winner when it went past. The barging probably cost him the race, but whether they can get their money back somewhat depends on the handicapper - he ran off 89 here.

Amazingly the stewards didn’t make much of a fuss about the extreme waywardness of Flexi Furlough - Approaching the second last hurdle, FLEXI FURLOUGH (IRE), placed third, ducked sharply left despite the riders’ best efforts, taking BE THE DIFFERENCE (IRE), placed second, off it’s intended line, but after viewing a recording of the incident, it was found that no riding offence was involved.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    AHOY SENOR

Carlisle 31 October
    Colin Parker Memorial Intermediate Chase (Listed Race) (GBB Race)
    2m4f, Class 1, £17,165.40
    Going: Soft

Ahoy Senor looked very much at home on his chasing debut against much more experienced opposition. He sprawled on landing at the second last unseating Derek Fox, but his jumping before that had been very sound. Still well in contention at that point I think he has a bit of class about him.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    RUN TO MILAN

Exeter 2 November
    Betway Stayers' Handicap Chase (Challenger Staying Chase Series Qualifier)
    3m, Class 3, £6,535.20

Run To Milan set the pace, jumping well, travelling comfortably, looking very assured and a cut above the others. He was the last off the bit, but he was joined in the lead before the last where he made his only jumping error stumbling badly on landing which almost brought him to a stop.

Without that error I think he would have been fighting out a close finish at the very least. He ran off 129 here and is clearly competitive at around this mark.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    LIMETREE BOY

Aintree 6 November
    Betway EBF "National Hunt" Novices' Hurdle (Qualifier)
    2m4f, Class 4, £5,173.70

A debut run over hurdles for Limetree Boy with all the others having had a run or two. His jumping was a mixture between cautious and three or four good ones where he gained a length or so in the process. He raced behind the leaders, challenged well to draw up to them and was not knocked about when the first two took command and fought it out. It was a sound and promising introduction.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Post #1 Hermes Boy runs tomorrow 2:30 Bangor. Unfortunately 4/6 early price

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    NO ORDINARY JOE

Cheltenham 14 November
    Unibet Greatwood Handicap Hurdle (Grade 3) (GBB Race)
    2m½f, Class 1, £56,270

There’s been a lot of talk about the fine run of Adagio who came second under top weight giving a stone to the winner. Justified talk, at that, but the one I take from the race is No Ordinary Joe.

This was his first handicap, only his fourth run over hurdles and a big jump in class. He was very keen dragging himself into the lead before the second where he stayed until West Cork joined him on the turn for home. He jumped the final flight only half a length down in third and couldn’t find any extra inside the final half-furlong to finish three lengths adrift in the end.

Given his inexperience I thought it was an excellent run and full of promise. He ran off 133 here and he might prove a bit difficult to place.

PS: I failed to record that Hermes Boy (previous post) lost and forgot to post that Be the Difference (post # 8) was running today - he won.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    GARRY CLERMONT

Ascot 19 November
    Garden For All Seasons Handicap Hurdle (GBB Race)
    1m7½f, Class 2, £10,926.30

Running off 137 Garry Clermont ran comfortably on the heels of the leading group and moved up to join the leader at the second last. He began to move away and was a couple of lengths clear of the eventual winner when he veered sharply left over the last, losing momentum and all that advantage and a further couple of lengths to boot. He finished strongly and managed to cut the deficit to three quarters of a length at the line. Ill-considered in the betting this time, I guess there will be a bit more interest next time he runs.
    Last edited by barjon; 19th November 2021 at 7:12 PM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Remiss again in not reminding that Ahoy Senor (who won) was running yesterday. I think I’d better knock it on the head, particular since there doesn’t seem to be much interest.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,499 Times in 2,755 Posts
    If we knocked on the head all the threads with little interest there wouldn't be much of a forum, barjon.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 885 Posts
    Though I've little interest in NH racing, so adding not much, it remains a useful resource,imo.
    Last edited by reet hard; 28th November 2021 at 11:30 AM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Orchid View Post
    If we knocked on the head all the threads with little interest there wouldn't be much of a forum, barjon.
    Very true, desert, but I was hoping others would join in.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,499 Times in 2,755 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barjon View Post
    Very true, desert, but I was hoping others would join in.
    To be honest, barjon, I didn't know you wanted people to join in! I thought you were just setting out a log of ones that had caught your eye and hope to throw some future winners our way.

I'll be happy to add the odd one.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Great, we should pick up a winner or two if the assembled might of TalkingHorses share their thoughts . I’ll try harder with the admin!