Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Glorious Goodwood 2021

Thanks
    Thanked 1,144 Times in 1,024 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Wow.

What a performance from Ottoman Emperor.

Stepping up from a handicap in Ireland.

I had a small bet on him more in hope than expectation, thinking it was a bit too experimental stepping him up so much in grade, but well done Johnny Murtaghs and connections.

He's a very exciting prospect now.
    Last edited by Marb; 29th July 2021 at 3:15 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,243 Times in 632 Posts
    Good performance but think Frankie should have been closer. Gave Sir Lucan an awful lot to do.
    tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Euronymous View Post
    I have Lady Bowthorpe at a nice price for the Nassau. Covered with the Fanshawe filly as I don't rate Joan of Arc. The Diane looked **** weak.

Only other bet is Showalong each way in the last. Was asked to do too much early doors last time out at Ascot.
    Nice one, Euro. You seem to be on fire lately. Long may it continue!

Thanks
    Thanks Dan. It won't continue, not with York on the horizon.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,355 Times in 806 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Eagles By Day has an ew chance tomorrow though opposition is hot and 1m4f a tad short ideally.
    Tom Segal short listed him for Ebor ( 40/1 gone since ) and 1m 6f seems his ideal trip but won fto last year.

Thanks
    If the ground softens today I can’t see Johan out of the frame in the Golden Mile. Drawn in 2, loves the ground, in good form and always runs his race. 8/1 looks big to me at the moment but the forecast is important.

Thanks
    Maydanny has drifted to 10s for the Golden Mile and with his draw and his run style that's too big. He will trade much shorter during the race so I'm backing and will partially lay IR.

Tempted by Dragon Symbol in the sprint but the price diff between himself and Battaash is just not wide enough.

Without a Fight should arguably second fav in the Mogul race so he's worth a go each way at 10s

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Pablo Escobarr to win the 4.10.

He won the same race last year to add to an excellent record at this track.

He's the type of horse to pop up in the same race and win it again, IMHO.
    Last edited by Marb; 30th July 2021 at 11:13 AM.

Thanks
    Chance for sure. The front two in the market are Mogul and a Godolphin handicapper. Plenty of value down the list.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,499 Times in 2,755 Posts
    Maydanny has drifted to 10s for the Golden Mile and with his draw and his run style that's too big.
    I have him high up my ratings and took a saver at 10s earlier this morning. Too big definitely.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Maydanny has drifted to 10s for the Golden Mile and with his draw and his run style that's too big. He will trade much shorter during the race so I'm backing and will partially lay IR.

Tempted by Dragon Symbol in the sprint but the price diff between himself and Battaash is just not wide enough.

Without a Fight should arguably second fav in the Mogul race so he's worth a go each way at 10s
    Class.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Marb For This Useful Post:

Euronymous (31st July 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,129 Times in 998 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Well done Maydanny backers.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Suesa whoosh, get in, needed that.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Well done, all.
    Ah! but a man's reach should exceed his grasp......

Thanks
    Thanked 1,129 Times in 998 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marb View Post
    Suesa whoosh, get in, needed that.
    Nice one Marb.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Yes but then Pablo failed to deliver.

Ah well, roll on tomorrow.

If you want a man in form who knows his flat form I suggest we take note of what Euro tips tomorrow.
    Last edited by Marb; 30th July 2021 at 6:33 PM.

Thanks
    I won't transfer my Stewards' Cup ratings here as it's too much of a faff but this is the synopsis I put up elsewhere earlier today:

The Stewards’ Cup… be still my beating heart. This is a fabulous renewal, with almost half the runners rated at least 100. The target figure for the race [126] can only be regarded as notional and in my head I am setting the bar at 130 to try to narrow the field down to a manageable number of contenders. I have no idea how the draw is going to pan out either so I’ll probably cover both sides too.

While cases can be made for just about everything, the ones I’m most drawn to are (in table order): Summerghand, Hurricane Ivor, Great Ambassador, Hey Jonesy, Gulliver, Fresh, Meraas and Major Jumbo. Others with decent possibilities could be Ejtilaab, Motagally and Chil Chil.

Taking them in turn:

Summerghand (18/1) – after winning this for us last year off 108 and earlier this season beating Oxted at level weights in a G3 I would never have imagined him ending up here still off just 109. He’s been here, done it and got the T-shirt so has to be a bet at the price.

Hurricane Ivor (8/1) – was over four lengths clear on his side behind Significantly at Ascot last time. Calculating that side as a race in its own right by my normal methods gives him a very high rating and makes him the most likely winner. I reckon the price is worth taking (I have) as I can see him being heavily backed.

Great Ambassador (16/1) – looks to have been laid out for this, having been kept off the track for three months, presumably to protect a very good mark. I’ve taken the price.

Hey Jonesy (25/1) – won the Wokingham for us last year at 50/1 so I have a soft spot for him. I can wait until tomorrow to decide about a bet since he might be vulnerable to the others if they are as good as I think they might be.

Gulliver (33/1) – was impressive off 102 at York (soft) in October and is now 3lbs lower. He is entitled to go close on that York form and a value bet.

Fresh (13/2f) – was a job horse foiled in the Wokingham and has been kept back for this. He was well punted that day and a decent enough favourite for this but I’m not sure if he’s value. I might put enough on him to cover the other bets.

Meraas (14/1) – is quite intriguing. He had a progressive profile last season and has had two modest starts this time and turns up with the ex-champion jockey, who would presumably have been offered several of this field, booked. His price might be about right but there’s a chance he is some way better than we’ve seen.

Major Jumbo (25/1) – was 40/1 the other day but Paul Kealy put paid to that. He was rated 107 this time last year so his campaign has been a bit Hey-Jonesy-esque. Apprentice-ridden (and badly ridden) so far this season, he’s now down to 95 and just scrapes in.

Ejtilaab (14/1) – is on a serious curve so a sudden change of trainer is surprising but I think his price is about right.

Motagally (25/1) – Shadwell’s only runner and the trainer has a great record when he targets big handicaps. He might need faster ground but is probably worth a pop anyway as he’s probably been trained all season for the race.

But I wouldn’t put anyone off anything!

Barbill isn't actually mentioned but he's in the top 10 on the ratings so shouldn't be anything like 100/1. I was holding off until the morning to see if he went longer than that.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Desert Orchid For This Useful Post:

2017diary (30th July 2021), Colin Phillips (31st July 2021), Outsider (31st July 2021)

Thanks
    My only bet outside of the Stewards' Cup today is Prince Alex in the 2.30. I'm kicking myself a wee bit for not taking 10/1 yesterday but I thought he'd stay under the radar until today. I've had to settle for 8/1.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Desert Orchid For This Useful Post:

Desperate Dan (31st July 2021)

Thanks
    My main fancy today was Royal Scimitar in the consolation race but he's been pulled this morning. I think the amount of non-runners this week at this meeting on ground that has never hit extremes is ridiculous.

Ante-post bets in the Stewards are Chil Chil and Hurricane Ivor. The former also pulled.

It's been a good meeting but strangely the Saturday card is arguably the worst of the entire week.

Thanks
    Power Over Me 1.55G

Disqualified last time out at Epsom for weighing in 2Lb light.

Cruised down the hill getting the whole field off the bridle 2 furlongs out and strolling home (only 4Lb higher than the horse he beat 3 Lengths giving 12Lb) for a 102 RPR.

Still very unexposed on turf, the 7Lb penalty still allows a potential 107 RPR performance (less the 2Lb low weight disqualification) carrying only 9-07LB, having run with 10 stone on his back at Epsom.

Downhill free-wheeling, tack across to the stands rail while 4 length's clear, have em all off the bridle, wins doing handstands....