Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: King George V1 & Queen Elizabeth Stakes - Ascot

Thanks

King George V1 & Queen Elizabeth Stakes - Ascot

Apologies but I can't see a thread for this, and I know most of us are desperate for the autumn to come, but this is, or was, one of the races of the year and we don't seem bothered? One of my all time favourite days racing in years gone by, even still having been late coming to the NH racing in life.

Really disappointing with only 6 runners. Really getting fed up with trainers/owners running scared because there's deemed a superstar in the race. They have off days, anything can happen.

Just a by the by, guaranteed to absolutely bucket down from around 1.10 as friend and I will be standing on viewing steps in dresses and sandals, so any wanting the ground to maybe change in later races - you're on.

I'm only going this year because of the reduced capacity promised ( I've staged a one woman boycott for the last 3 ) as was looking forward to not being surrounded by half cut half dressed 'youfs' and their 'birds', sprawled all over the steps with picnic rubbish strewn everywhere, aside from nearly being covered in a pint of lager, when one of the morons, sorry youfs, threw it in the air believing Fran- keyyyy had ridden the winner. Such a moron that I pointed out to him that if the lager had hit any part of my dress , his life would have been over, but 'Fran-keyyyy' wasn't actually riding in that race.

Have to think Adayar has a chance with the weight advantage. Ducks in anticipation.....
    Vote Alfie!!!!

Thanks
    Used to love this race (race of the century could not be bettered imo) and because of that when I was staying with my small family at Chertsey Lock one year I asked my wife for an afternoon off to go to watch the KG at Ascot. I set off with the idea in my mind about whereabouts I was heading but there were a few roadworks so I was reassured when after travelling for a few miles I came to a roundabout and saw a sign for Cobham. Only when I drove past Sandown Park racecourse did I realise that the town I was looking for on my way to Ascot was CHOBHAM

One day I'll get there to see the KG, one day.
    Last edited by 2017diary; 22nd July 2021 at 8:24 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by G-G View Post
    Have to think Adayar has a chance with the weight advantage. Ducks in anticipation.....
    The weight it not an advantage, it's an allowance.

It's an interesting race but I can't see a bet in it.

Thanks
    Always a watching race for me from the days when you didn't need to back one, the quality on show was enough just to watch and marvel.

Thanks
    You say potato..... it's an advantage. That's a lot of weight between a strapping 3 year old colt and a 4 year old filly.

There's a decent-ish forecast there if I was a betting girl. Which I'm not but for a 6 runner with a hot favourite.
    Friend coming goes twice/three times a year with me, this is a birthday pressie for her, bets for 'fun', anything Scottish sounding..Thistlecrack, Pasiley Park etc , ALWAYS comes away up. Always. Talked her out of a 50-1 shot once - she liked the way it looked - no no no I say, seriously no chance........ never again.
    Last edited by G-G; 22nd July 2021 at 8:43 PM.
    Vote Alfie!!!!

Thanks
    From time immemorial there was always a debate about what was a fair WFA allowance in this race - 10lbs? 11 lbs? The arguments raged endlessly (and probably still do to a lesser extent).

Thanks
    It's not an advantage. The three horses listed below were all very close in ability

op.jpg
    Last edited by Euronymous; 22nd July 2021 at 8:45 PM.

Thanks
    https://www.racingpost.com/results/2...1-07-28/302018

Frankie's crap ride aside. Works both ways. I, me, myself I, think Adayar has a huge advantage tomorrow as a strapping 3 year old colt against a slight 4 year old filly carrying 8lbs more.
    Vote Alfie!!!!

Thanks
    Im going on Saturday, timed it perfectly with the weather forecast

If it does **** down Ascot can get soft very quickly (and they have been watering) im on Wonderful Tonight

Wouldn't be surprised if Love was a N.R

Thanks
    It doesn't work both ways. Over a mile and a half Galileo was superior to Fantastic Light by the amount of lengths he beat him. You don't get inferior 3yos beating their betters because they get weight. They beat them because they are the better horse. If you factor WFA into your bets you'll not show a profit, not unless the WFA is wrong.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 925 Posts
    Blog Entries
    They are a pretty nifty six, though, GG. One to watch and enjoy for me. Enjoy the day and hope the youfs behave.

Thanks
    Wouldn't be cribbing only 6 runners. Liking the cast on show. Shame Pyledriver didn't make it.

Weather watch!

Would love Adayar to produce after his Derby.
    All comers, all grounds, all beaten!

This perfect mix of poetry and destruction.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankel View Post
    Wouldn't be cribbing only 6 runners. Liking the cast on show. Shame Pyledriver didn't make it.

Weather watch!

Would love Adayar to produce after his Derby.
    I agree that it's a very good field this year, it will be a shame if the weather spoils it.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,482 Times in 2,742 Posts
    I would have to admit that I get a tad frustrated when people, especially racing media people, talk about weight for age being an advantage to the younger horses.

At the same time, I accept that WFA is an overall average calculation and will not apply exactly the same to all horses. I can see that a big strong 3yo might be slightly advantaged getting the weight from a less robust older horse.

The scale itself has been tweaked a few times down the years when the data points to an advantage so one could argue that the scale might have been wrong and, who knows, a year or two down the line the data might say it's too generous.

But in the bigger scheme of things, as Euro says, it isn't an advantage, it's an allowance. Without it, 3yos would be wasting their time taking on older horses unless they were a good 10lbs superior to start with.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Thanked 3,482 Times in 2,742 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    I agree that it's a very good field this year, it will be a shame if the weather spoils it.
    I reckon it's a decent enough race but maybe lacking a proper superstar. That said, it does bring together loads of different G1/2 form strands. On this season’s form alone, the Grand Prix de Saint-Cloud, Tattersalls Gold Cup, Hardwicke, Eclipse, Sheema Classic, Prince of Wales’s, Derby and Irish Derby are represented, as well as the different generations.

I’ve gone high with Adayar and want to see him win but Love will be difficult to beat although at 6/4 or thereabouts she wouldn’t be my kind of betting material. I’d rather just watch.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    I will be very surprised if Love gets beat but it's not a betting proposition at the price and to be honest I think Adayar is too short for me as well!
    I'll tip my hat to the new constitution
    Take a bow for the new revolution

Thanks
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 874 Posts
    High class field which promises loads of pace, and might just favour Adayir, though there'll be plenty pressing him to go faster.
    If I had to bet, it'd probably be on Lone Eagle, which Frankie appears to have jumped ship from the Gosden horse for?

Thanks
    I think Mishriff is Egan's ride whether Frankie's available or not.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Euronymous For This Useful Post:

reet hard (24th July 2021)

Thanks
    Personally I think anything over 11/10is value as far as Love is concerned -the 2/1currently available is definitely max bet material.

Thanks
    I know it's the obvious argument but she's never beaten a top notcher. Not her fault I know but she's too short given that.