Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Panorama 830 monday

Thanks
    It's about time that the industry stopped being frightened of these dramatic but largely inconsequential pieces and the likes of animal aid. It was horribly produced. It wasn't remotely hard hitting no matter how much dramatic music they add. The same graphics repeated throughout. Throw in industry bad boys Elliott and O'Leary for extra effect. Did more damage to the causes of animal aid with the missed open goal. Ripping out all talent from BBC has its consequences.

Have abattoirs set up regionally by the industry, for humane treatment with standards that are beyond reproach. Leave animal aidand whoever else wants to make their complaints.

This was an attempt to capitalise on Elliots situation. Ultimately, they were hoping for worse than the abattoirs standards being poor.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to HawkWing For This Useful Post:

LUKE (20th July 2021)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by littlelad View Post
    It seems to me that this issue, like others in racing (yards not able to attract/retain staff due to poor wages), it comes back to it being too cheap to have a horse in training.

Like any business trainers are always going to compete on price. But I do sometimes wonder if training fees were a bit higher as standard, some of these problems would be less acute

Sent from my SM-J415FN using Tapatalk
    What do you consider higher? My trainer charges £52 a day plus for him doing 14 furlong canters most days? ( and he's not the most expensive by some way ) I struggle to keep him there but I brought him into the world and I have a care of duty to give him a chance, aside from my love for him. Would paying more make me look after him more when he's finished? No? would it stop me putting him in training and REALLY turning into the sport of just the very rich ( for I am not even a bit rich )? Yes it would. Some of these very rich people don't look after the horses that run for them now when they are passed it/injured , how do you think paying more for them on a daily basis would change the thought process of responsibility after they can no longer run? Cite the Munir horse featured in the programme to name one. They're billionaires between them but he still ended up being put down in an abbatoir.
    If my muppet doesn't make it as a race horse it wouldn't change my love for him. I will look after him' til the day he dies whenever that may be. If I die first he is in my will to be taken care of. I go without to have him and I will continue to as long as he needs my money to exist and he has a good life. And I have no money. Seriously no money but I would never put him down because of the cost of him.
    My vet is Simon Knapp, who I adore but even if I didn't, he has been campaigning for years to have horses fatally injured on racehorses put down by injection rather than being shot. He cannot get any of the 'authorities' to agree to it. The reason he is told that it would take too long. He feels it is more humane to all concerned, but the racecourses/authorities think not. Those in charge need to look to themselves as well as others about welfare across the board, racing or not racing.
    Last edited by G-G; 20th July 2021 at 7:59 PM.
    Vote Alfie!!!!

Thanks
    Need more like Fergal O'Brien. Plenty still have their heads stuck up their arses.
    Last edited by Frankel; 20th July 2021 at 8:06 PM.
    All comers, all grounds, all beaten!

This perfect mix of poetry and destruction.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 620 Posts
    GG, Your last point re shooting versus injection is interesting. My father was a vet at the Cheltenham Festival for many years and would always have chosen to use a humane killer bolt style gun over an injection any day purely because it was often so much harder to put a needle into the vein of a horse when it wasn’t standing still (and horses are often needle aware). I think it is our perception that shooting a horse is cruel as opposed to injecting chemicals into its body to kill it is the underlying factor here. The bolt gun is instantaneous and the horse has no idea what’s happening.
    Last edited by jinnyj; 20th July 2021 at 8:08 PM.
    tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito

Thanks
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 874 Posts
    The whole thing smacked of a setup to promote Animal Aids agenda, imo. Why was their rep not questioned in more depth about his outlandish and sinister assertions, how did they contrive to place a camera in the 'killing room' and it remain undetected for 4 months, and why could the slaughter house not identify, and discipline, the guy who (apparently) shot a horse from across the room with some kind of rifle, and how did he manage to get it into the building?
    All elementary questions which no one thought to raise, and resulted in a pile of bullcrap being foisted as a serious issue.
    Shame on the BBC, and all it used to represent.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jinnyj View Post
    GG, Your last point re shooting versus injection is interesting. My father was a vet at the Cheltenham Festival for many years and would always have chosen to use a humane killer bolt style gun over an injection any day purely because it was often so much harder to put a needle into the vein of a horse when it wasn’t standing still (and horses are often needle aware). I think it is our perception that shooting a horse is cruel as opposed to injecting chemicals into its body to kill it is the underlying factor here. The bolt gun is instantaneous and the horse has no idea what’s happening.
    Simon would sedate first, then..... obviously not the same circumstances as being injured on the racecourse, but that's how my mare went. I held her until the very last second she was upright, he then took over for less than a minute, and I stayed with her until she had gone. She was chewing treats right up to the end. Before, he told me not to stay with her 'cos he knew me, but I couldn't leave her. If he had used a bolt however.... I appreciate totally different circumstances to being on a racecourse.
    Vote Alfie!!!!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by reet hard View Post
    The whole thing smacked of a setup to promote Animal Aids agenda, imo. Why was their rep not questioned in more depth about his outlandish and sinister assertions, how did they contrive to place a camera in the 'killing room' and it remain undetected for 4 months, and why could the slaughter house not identify, and discipline, the guy who (apparently) shot a horse from across the room with some kind of rifle, and how did he manage to get it into the building?
    All elementary questions which no one thought to raise, and resulted in a pile of bullcrap being foisted as a serious issue.
    Shame on the BBC, and all it used to represent.
    Completely agree but then that’s how expose sensationalism journalism works. It’s all about the impact it has on its audience not on the actual facts. Exactly the same with the Oprah interview. Look how many lies were peddled there! Any good interviewer would have questioned their allegations and done some of their own research. But it was meant to shock. As was last nights episode. And it will have had the impact that they wanted. Backed up by the BBC showing it again on their news bulletin. OK today the BHA are finally mumbling about what they are doing and rightly trainers are flooding social media with their own personal stories of the many, many horses they have rehomed. But the damage is done.

Thanks
    I think the trainers putting up their stories are inadvertently making the situation worse. I don't think it needs to have any bigger impact that tightening up on abattoir standards (welcomed) partly because racing isn't as important a factor in people's lives as before.

Thanks
    I see that Souede and Munir are removing their horses from the Gordon Elliot yard.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jinnyj View Post
    I see that Souede and Munir are removing their horses from the Gordon Elliot yard.
    It didn't occur to them to get details of where he had gone and be given the odd update or......
    Vote Alfie!!!!

Thanks
    Perhaps they were not correctly informed. They may have been told the horse was chronically lame and required putting down. And then he got moved on and then on to the abattoir. Martin Pipe used to send horses to our local one here many years ago, those that could not be rehomed (to be fair to him, you could go there and get a freebie from him) for whatever reason and they would get paid a small amount usually about £300 I think. But that was a long time ago.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,221 Times in 924 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Apparently they gifted the horse to one of Elliots staff and happy he was suitably rehomed and were “shocked and furious” that he had been sent to the abbatoir
    Last edited by barjon; 24th July 2021 at 10:01 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to barjon For This Useful Post:

jinnyj (24th July 2021)