Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2021 1000 Guineas

Thanks
    Thanked 3,497 Times in 2,754 Posts

2021 1000 Guineas

I took Miss Amulet at 50/1 back in August on the back of an excellent time in the Lowther. I went in again at the same price a couple of weeks later. From memory, it might have been because I'd read that Coolmore had acquired her but I see she runs in the colours of Mrs Tabor. I don't have a great eye for horses' conformation or distance requirements but I thought she looked like the six were too sharp for her in the Cheveley Park. Timeform say she looks like a sprinter but her dosage suggests at least a mile and she "stayed on well" over that trip at Keeneland. I remain hopeful.

As I mentioned on here somewhere at the time, I was reading up on some stuff back in January that got me looking at the replay of that Keeneland race and the one that caught my eye was Mother Earth. I reckoned she was worth a substantial mark-up on the performance and took 25/1 for this race.

I also took her in an each-way yankee with Battleground (2000G), High Definition (Derby) and Santa Barbara (Oaks).

I went in again on Mother Earth at 20/1 at the start of this month when I saw Timeform were keen on her chances (each-way).

They also mention A'Shaari (Godolphin) but she's bred for the Oaks or maybe even further (Dosage: DP = 3-8-7-11-1 (30) DI = 0.94 CD = 0.03 . Certainly, if she were to win the Guineas, she'd be a near-cert for the Oaks.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Desert Orchid For This Useful Post:

Colin Phillips (12th April 2021), Eleanora Duse (12th April 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,224 Times in 927 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I thought Sacred’s run in the Nell Gwyn today was a much better win than it looked (and that, in any case, was pretty impressive). She was slowly away, but Ryan Moore moved her up quickly on the rail behind Love is You. There she was stuck, well boxed in with nowhere to go and Moore let her drift back towards the rear. Fortuitously Love is You rolled away from the rail around the 3 furlong mark, Moore pressed the accelerator and through went Sacred, only to find herself now stuck behind the leading threesome until, with just more than a furlong to go, Chocoya drifted left and Moore wasted no time dashing through the gap and Sacred pushed home from there quite comfortably.

So, a solid performance made even better by the troubles she had to overcome on the way. She’s a live contender, I think.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,243 Times in 632 Posts
    Yes I agree with you about Sacred. I thought today was a very nice performance and I was a bit surprised with Moore’s reaction. Haggas clearly thinks she will stay. She’s made up into a good sized 3yo too and although the “experts” will cry she won’t stay, she settled really well today and her dam is a half sister to Lady Eli who won the BC Juvenile Turf over a mile and stayed 1m 2f. I like her a lot.
    tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito

Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 885 Posts
    If it's fast ground on Guineas day with a following wind she goes there with a shout.
    Not sure he sounds that confident, tbh Jinny. RM seems to field against her too

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jinnyj View Post
    Yes I agree with you about Sacred. I thought today was a very nice performance and I was a bit surprised with Moore’s reaction. Haggas clearly thinks she will stay. She’s made up into a good sized 3yo too and although the “experts” will cry she won’t stay, she settled really well today and her dam is a half sister to Lady Eli who won the BC Juvenile Turf over a mile and stayed 1m 2f. I like her a lot.
    I liked today's win as well but for other reasons. Sacred was second to Miss Amulet at York, form I rate top class.

Thanks
    I have kept an eye open for Jeff Smith's horses since the early 80"s when whilst putting together a financing package that helped his business win a significant export order I was recommended to follow his then untried 2yo, Chief Singer. The horse became the first flat horse that I followed throughout his career, travelling to see the beautiful beast run whenever possible. The same with the admirable Persian Punch.
    Last September I put up his Foxtrot Lady as one to back when he put Dettori on the horse which duly won at 18/1.
    Using part of the proceeds I added Alcohol Free for the 1000 gns to my core Cheltenham AP multiples at 33/1. Unfortunately with NR's and Abacadabra's fall I have only one small stake double left with Minella Indo.
    At the same time I began backing Alcohol Free singly and have numerous small stakes bets at prices ranging from 44's to 10/1, several as the remainder of failed multiples.

Realistically I am guessing as to whether she has developed over the winter and it will depend on her performance on Sunday in the Dubai Duty Free ( awful name for a race). Hoping not expecting though Balding's recent comments provide some encouragement.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tout Seul For This Useful Post:

Desert Orchid (15th April 2021), Eleanora Duse (15th April 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 885 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Orchid View Post
    I liked today's win as well but for other reasons. Sacred was second to Miss Amulet at York, form I rate top class.
    Aye; over 6f.

Thanks
    According to ATR website Miss Amulet is set for French 1000

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Tout Seul For This Useful Post:

Desert Orchid (16th April 2021)

Thanks
    I don't think we saw the winner of the 1000 Guineas at Newbury today.

Some reasonable performances but no real class.

Thanks
    Erm? We’re you not taken with Snow Lantern? I thought she was a very, very nice filly who is entitled to go to Newmarket with my small ante post of 20s. A beautiful filly on looks, pedigree and the way she won today. OK it was a maiden but the first three pulled well clear and all look nice. And Hannon I thought itching to persuade the owners to run her. He’s even had Richard Hughes over for a spin on her as she’s so like her mother.

Thanks
    It was a nice performance, no doubt about it, and I took the runner-up a couple of weeks ago at 50/1 for the Derby but we're looking at horses rated in the 80s going into the race and maybe 100-105 coming out of it. Derab will have six weeks to improve a stone to be competitive in the Derby but he's a See The Stars half-brother to Enable and might just do so. Snow Lantern only has two weeks in which to improve the same amount for the Guineas.

I just wonder what the likes of Mother Earth and Santa Barbara might have done to today's field.
    Last edited by Desert Orchid; 18th April 2021 at 9:29 PM.

Thanks
    Apart from the fact she’s from Ballydoyle and no doubt catching pigeons as well as pan-frying their breasts in a little blackberry jus, I fail to see why Santa Barbara is so short judged on one maiden win (she may well have been visually impressive, I haven’t seen it) especially as those she beat haven’t exactly come out and done much. Or am I missing something? Mother Earth does at least have G1 form although is a bit in and out.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jinnyj View Post
    Apart from the fact she’s from Ballydoyle and no doubt catching pigeons as well as pan-frying their breasts in a little blackberry jus, I fail to see why Santa Barbara is so short judged on one maiden win (she may well have been visually impressive, I haven’t seen it) especially as those she beat haven’t exactly come out and done much. Or am I missing something? Mother Earth does at least have G1 form although is a bit in and out.
    Yes, I totally get that SB hasn't done anything of note in public. But Mother Earth has, as you say, the G1 form in the book, as do a few other Ballydoyle fillies, so I, for one, have to wonder exactly what SB has been doing at home that has seen her come in from the cold to favourite ahead of them.

I see there's a paywall item on the RP site about SB today. I'm not convinced about her Guineas credentials, to be honest. I suspect it's the move for her for the Oaks (which happened first, as far as I know), which then basically spilled over into the Guineas market that's behind it. I'm not even convinced SB will run in the Guineas although O'Brien does tend to use it as a prep for his better Oaks fillies. I think the more battle-hardened types do better even if they're of slightly lesser ability.

I'm a fan of Hannon. I think he's a top trainer and there's a long history of the stable getting them into the frame in the Guineas from well under the radar, winning even. So I can see why Snow Lantern would appeal. To be honest, if she'd turned up on the day without a prep I might have been tempted to have a small bet at long odds so there's an element of misplaced logic in dissing her since she's now had a run. It's more the fact, I reckon, that it was a C4 race they opted for for the prep. I think it throws up lots of questions. Did they think she would get away with an easy race? Did they know Derab and the Fox horse would give her a race? Has she ended up with a harder race than they really wanted? And now they've revealed their hand to an extent.

You got the value, jinnyj, but would you back her today at her current price?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Desert Orchid For This Useful Post:

Colin Phillips (19th April 2021)

Thanks
    Yes I probably would. Hannon I thought is very excited by her. While he’s often quite bullish and vocal about horses, I sensed a different tone this time. So long as she handles the dip, I think she will go close. I loved her mother and backed her throughout her career. I like the daughter even more physically. Has she had a hard race? Not particularly in my opinion. And they need to know what it’s all about anyway.
    I have backed Sacred too (and in an ew double with Master of the Seas) as I felt that was a good trial. Will she stay? Well for me she relaxed really well which is a major plus and had her ears pricked at the end. Perhaps I will also do RF with Snow Lantern!
    Of course anything form Ballydoyle is to be feared but they don’t win every race.
    Occasionally I get an inner buzz about a horse....Frankel when he beat Nathaniel (think I flagged it on here too) and also Enable when I first saw her run and took a price for the Oaks. I do get it wrong sometimes too though!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to jinnyj For This Useful Post:

Desert Orchid (19th April 2021)

Thanks
    I know what a good judge of horseflesh you are, jinnyj, so I have the late mother-in-law's surplus NHS Pampers firmly fastened when you disagree with me

Thanks

Thanks
    Is there a forfeit stage today?

I notice Bet365 have removed several from their list (including Snow Lantern) and shortened up the others (eg Mother Earth into 14s).

Thanks
    Thanked 1,128 Times in 997 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Snow lantern misses the 1000

Thanks

Thanks
    I have watched Alcohol Free's race on Sunday several times but am still not sure what I learned. Clearly she stays 7 furlongs but further? During the race I thought she would be beaten and like others on here I was more impressed with Snow Lantern's performance. My immediate reaction was to look at laying off a major portion of my bets for the 1000gns. The prices were a little higher than I expected so no immediate action. Then listened to and read the various comments from the trainer which were generally upbeat but also revealed the paucity of my knowledge of the physical aspects of a horse.
    "She's not come into her coat and we've not been able to really work her". I thought I knew what that meant but on reflection I have no idea whether there is a real chance of her being in prime condition for May 2. The trainer appears to think so but I would appreciate input from those more knowledgeable than me ( of which there a many on here).