Thread: Scribing Through Your Pocket

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Scribing Through Your Pocket

(Pretentiousness alert)

I'm after getting addicted to reading and listening to podcasts about Roman History during the lock down year. Found a passage last night that reminded me of quite a few of you here on the forum.

There was a thing called a 'curse plate' where if somebody did you a wrong you'd have a plate/tablet inscribed with a curse and then dedicated to one of the many Gods in the hope your offending party would be cursed. (Think Desert Orchid/Richard Johnson or Slim/everybody else).

Anyway, somebody had bet heavily on the red team in a chariot racing tournament, but blew his stack and wasn't very happy with the performance of a charioteer called Cardelus. The curse plate was inscribed with the following..

I invoke you (God) so that you may help me and restrain and hold in check Cardelus and bring him to a bed of punishment, to be punished with an evil death, to come to an evil condition, him who his mother Fulgentia bore...

Even his Mother got a mention! First ever evidence of 'talking through your pocket' in history?
    Last edited by an capall; 6th April 2021 at 6:30 PM.
    "And still they gazed and still the wonder grew. That one small head could carry all he knew.

And that small head knew that Impaire Et Passe would win the Champion Hurdle."

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to an capall For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

archie (6th April 2021), barjon (6th April 2021), chroniclandlord (7th April 2021), Colin Phillips (6th April 2021), Desert Orchid (6th April 2021), edgt (6th April 2021), Eleanora Duse (18th June 2021), Grasshopper (8th April 2021), jinnyj (7th April 2021), Outsider (6th April 2021), Slim (6th April 2021)

Thanks
    Better than 'post leo'.
    The older I get the better I was.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,482 Times in 2,742 Posts
    Fascinating but, just for clarity, I would never (and have never despite what they might believe) wished ill on any jockey or indeed any forumite, even the ones I have on ignore.

A 'curse plate' would be anathema to my personality.

More likely a plate saying:

"Dear God, what did I ever do to offend these people that they rain down incessant insult and curse upon a lamb among lions?"

I can just imagine Messala's curse plate against Judah Ben-Hur, though

I imagine it would translate rather loosely as "Fvck that big bastert!"
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 874 Posts
    But slagging them unfairly (Richard Johnson, Ryan Moore) would be perfectly acceptable?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Goes without saying, Orchidus Maximus.

Although can I draw your attention to the punishment for patracide? You'd be sewn into a sack with a wild dog, cockrel, a snake and a monkey and then thrown into the Tiber for nature to take it's course.

Now, where's Harry?
    Last edited by an capall; 6th April 2021 at 8:24 PM.
    "And still they gazed and still the wonder grew. That one small head could carry all he knew.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,482 Times in 2,742 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by an capall View Post
    Although can I draw your attention to the punishment for patracide? You'd be sewn into a sack with a wild dog, cockrel, a snake and a monkey and then thrown into the Tiber for nature to take it's course.
    I know some people who would pay good money for an experience like that.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 801 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The only bit of Roman history that comes to mind is the infamous Julius Caesar line form Carry On Cleo
    "Infamy, Infamy, they all have it infamy !"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by an capall View Post
    (Pretentiousness alert)

I'm after getting addicted to reading and listening to podcasts about Roman History during the lock down year. Found a passage last night that reminded me of quite a few of you here on the forum.

There was a thing called a 'curse plate' where if somebody did you a wrong you'd have a plate/tablet inscribed with a curse and then dedicated to one of the many Gods in the hope your offending party would be cursed. (Think Desert Orchid/Richard Johnson or Slim/everybody else).

Anyway, somebody had bet heavily on the red team in a chariot racing tournament, but blew his stack and wasn't very happy with the performance of a charioteer called Cardelus. The curse plate was inscribed with the following..

I invoke you (God) so that you may help me and restrain and hold in check Cardelus and bring him to a bed of punishment, to be punished with an evil death, to come to an evil condition, him who his mother Fulgentia bore...

Even his Mother got a mention! First ever evidence of 'talking through your pocket' in history?
    This might be the best post I've ever read on here. Surely you need to write an article on this?

Thanks
    Great stuff.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

12. The Following User Says Thank You to an capall For This Useful Post:

Slim (18th June 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 801 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Stick to the horses please Colm.
    Racing has enough problems that require your full intention.
    Name checking Circus Maximus and Danny Mullins is hardly enough for hard boiled fans like ourselves !