Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6111213141516

Thread: The Derby Sat June 5th 2021

Thanks
    Thanked 1,355 Times in 806 Posts
    Blog Entries
    At Longchamps for Arc and on Irish Champions Day at Leopardstown they reserve fresh ground (Arc) and a fresh track (Leopaardstown) for the big race.
    It may be in Epsom / The Curragh's interest to do the same for the sake of their flagship race.

With the dash they would have ample time to take up the false rail; easy to do likewise at The Curragh.
    The ground was drying Saturday as times improved throughout the day ; points well made Maxbet.
    Haggas surely the second happiest trainer leaving Epsom as you say.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,499 Times in 2,755 Posts
    One thing not mentioned so far - or if it has been mentioned I haven't seen it - is the very sporting and philosophical attitude of Oisin Murphy on being jocked off the winner.

I noticed him on the tv pictures the other day beaming and congratulating Kirby. Since then, Appleby has praised his attitude too, and I've just watched his live commentary of the race, at the end of which he was very congratulatory towards the winning horse and jockey.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Thanked 1,144 Times in 1,024 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The BHA handicapper goes 121 on Adayar today.

My tracker horse Scope, third to Adayar at Lingfield, unchanged on 95.
    Last edited by Marb; 8th June 2021 at 10:37 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Marb For This Useful Post:

Slim (8th June 2021)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Orchid View Post
    One thing not mentioned so far - or if it has been mentioned I haven't seen it - is the very sporting and philosophical attitude of Oisin Murphy on being jocked off the winner.

I noticed him on the tv pictures the other day beaming and congratulating Kirby. Since then, Appleby has praised his attitude too, and I've just watched his live commentary of the race, at the end of which he was very congratulatory towards the winning horse and jockey.
    Hmm. He was saving face wasn't he. You could tell he was absolutely sick. That aside he is riding like perfection this year. He's the best jockey by far in my opinion.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,499 Times in 2,755 Posts
    Possibly doing/saying the right things but he wasn't the focus of the camera after the race and he seemed genuinely pleased for Kirby.

No doubt he'll have made a positive impression on certain people who will consider him closely for big races.

There's also a fair chance Godolphin will find a way of compensating him to a degree in a future race. I wouldn't expect any less of them.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Orchid View Post
    Possibly doing/saying the right things but he wasn't the focus of the camera after the race and he seemed genuinely pleased for Kirby.

No doubt he'll have made a positive impression on certain people who will consider him closely for big races.

There's also a fair chance Godolphin will find a way of compensating him to a degree in a future race. I wouldn't expect any less of them.
    He's so good he'll need no help. He's worth half a point to a horse.
    Last edited by Slim; 8th June 2021 at 12:15 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by edgt View Post
    At Longchamps for Arc and on Irish Champions Day at Leopardstown they reserve fresh ground (Arc) and a fresh track (Leopaardstown) for the big race.
    It may be in Epsom / The Curragh's interest to do the same for the sake of their flagship race.

With the dash they would have ample time to take up the false rail; easy to do likewise at The Curragh.
    The ground was drying Saturday as times improved throughout the day ; points well made Maxbet.
    Haggas surely the second happiest trainer leaving Epsom as you say.
    I thought there was fresh ground for the Saturday. I believe they took the the rail in about 3 metres.

I'll say again that watering should be banned from 4-5 days before the start of a meeting. Horses should be able to run on good to firm. The CoC said you shouldn't water late 'that's when you get problems', he said. So then he did.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleanora Duse For This Useful Post:

Maxbet (9th June 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,355 Times in 806 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There was fresh ground but it had been opened for earlier races from what I remember.
    Keeping it fresh for the big race is what I am referring to.
    Apologies for any confusion.