Page 19 of 29 FirstFirst ... 91415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: The Gordy Elliott Horror Picture Show

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 801 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Credit to Gordon for fessing up as quickly as he did; honesty is the best and only policy.
    We should start a campaign for An Capall to become GE's PR guru, campaign manager to "Make Cullentra Racing Great Again"
    Racing has had it's Nijinsky and It's Nureyev, now we need Rasputin to take the stage.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to edgt For This Useful Post:

chroniclandlord (3rd March 2021), Colin Phillips (4th March 2021), Eleanora Duse (4th March 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 1,015 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Aye.

'the greater the sin, the greater God's forgiveness.'

Thanks
    Thanked 1,108 Times in 979 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by G-G View Post
    Whatever the BHA decide will be the quickest they've ever decided anything, so that the horses will be 'allowed' to run at Cheltenham as the damage to the sport in a wider sphere than one trainer, would do more damage than if they don't allow them to run. I can see a very hefty fine. I can't see how they could justify a ban as there was no detriment to the horses' well being, he wasn't cruel to him, or ill treating him. I think they may think he has been punished enough.
    I agree.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Was there and sort of rift between Gordon and Chevely Park before this came out? Seem they decided they were judge jury and executioners before the ink had dried
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    No, I have a friend that is one of the sponsors at Elliotts yard. When the news broke Chevely park twice stated their intention privately to him that they were staying put. However due to the worldwide attention it got and the BHA’s decision by Monday afternoon they said they had no other option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,553 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Think that’s fair enough. They want their horses to run.
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    How long have Cheveley Park been involved with N.H. racing?

Always associate them with classic-bred flat horses.
    Ah! but a man's reach should exceed his grasp......

Thanks
    Since the days of Party Politics

Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 735 Posts
    Chev unlike his other owners are an equine business

Regrettably, they had little choice but to leave
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 801 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I always remember Mrs Thompson's interview after that win.
    "We are really flat people so do not know what to think " was a paraphrase of her answer.
    Says it all really.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,128 Times in 2,052 Posts
    "The owls are not what they seem"

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Diamond Geezer For This Useful Post:

Maxbet (4th March 2021), moe (4th March 2021), Outsider (4th March 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 925 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Geezer View Post
    I’m with her all the way until the end. To think that the reaction was born of fear seems highly far-fetched as well as pretty insulting that people were only shocked by it because they feared for their industry and future. They may well have been, but I suggest it was not the first thought that came to mind. If thst’s what she meant by fear, of course.
    Last edited by barjon; 4th March 2021 at 2:47 PM.

Thanks

The Gordy Elliott Horror Picture Show

I still find it hard to believe that anyone’s first reaction wasn’t just “dickhead”

It’s taken me five days to post on here becuase I’ve been subject to some fairly impressive trolling on social media for pointing out that not only was he not in control of the photo being taken, he certainly wasn’t guilty of anything other than being crass and stupid and I really couldn’t at any stage get butthurt about it. The public decimation of him and his staff has been appalling to watch - and largely from people who shouldn’t spent the rest of their days posting about mental health.
    Now it might be that the 22 years spent in
    Vet work surrounded by working in racing yards had hardened me to things that go on, but seriously - there was no cruelty involved here, it was just a stupid moment that someone else thought was funny to photograph and caption. If the general public knew what went on in vet surgeries and hospitals up and down the country they’d implode - there’s a very strange sense of humour that develops over time and it’s largely because if you didn’t, you wouldn’t be able to work in the kind of pressure environments they are.

Far far worse to my mind is the sharing of the photo for personal gain and the subsequent hatchet job attempted by people ( who appear to be related ) when they MUST have known it would blow up to some extent. It was a deliberate, calculated thing to destroy him - and that, to my mind has done more to damage the integrity of racing than a photo of GE sitting on a dead horse.

Let’s not go into the fact that I’m not 100% convinced that horse hes sat on is Mason looking at the photos of him online and comparing them.

It’s a mess. But he’s done nothing other than sit on a cadaver. I’ve done it - the only difference being that it was my horse, I didn’t even remotely consider it being disrespectful to her ( though I’m very much of the opinion that once dead, the animal or person isn’t there any more anyway, it’s just their physical form left) - and I wasn’t photographed and im not aware I have a disgruntled person set out to bury me after.

The whole thing is a bloody storm in a teacup - whipped up into a frenzy by people wanting to be self righteous and competing to be the most vocal about being offended. They are the ones who have damaged racing, led by the people behind the photo becoming public, not GE.

It’s been nice to see all the yards who have been sharing photos of their staff and horses on social media, but I do think they are in danger of making people thing we protest too much...

Last edited by trudij; 4th March 2021 at 6:27 PM.
    #YourStorm
    Mr Brightside

All posts are based on the following:
    I know what I'm talking about/ I'm having a stab in the dark
    I'm bored/ You're an idiot and I'm poking you with sticks

16. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to trudij For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

an capall (4th March 2021), archie (4th March 2021), Colin Phillips (5th March 2021), Desperate Dan (4th March 2021), edgt (5th March 2021), frontrunner (4th March 2021), granger (4th March 2021), NewApproach (4th March 2021), Outsider (4th March 2021), reet hard (4th March 2021), tiggers1972 (4th March 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 925 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Well, trudij, I don’t agree with you at all that it’s just a storm in a teacup, but I’ll defend your right to say so to the death (as they say) and I am sorry that you should have been trolled so vehemently for saying so. They are all pillocks.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 875 Posts
    Well said Trudij, and a more balanced view than the many who've made a meal of GE's unfortunate predicament.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by barjon View Post
    Well, trudij, I don’t agree with you at all that it’s just a storm in a teacup, but I’ll defend your right to say so to the death (as they say) and I am sorry that you should have been trolled so vehemently for saying so. They are all pillocks.
    The storm in a teacup basically just means that I think he should have had a massive fine for bringing racing into disrepute and some kind of “holiday”. Dragging someone publicly over the coals like this ( for something that is really not awful - he was sat on a dead horse for gods sake, he didn’t skin it alive and start having sex with it!) is far far out of proportion to the “crime” ( in my humble opinion)

I just think there are times to get upset over stuff and there are times you don’t. What’s gone on over this smacks of witch hunt and we may as well have given them pitchforks and torches to go up to the yard. It’s totally out of order that it’s ended up how it has.

#YourStorm
    Mr Brightside

All posts are based on the following:
    I know what I'm talking about/ I'm having a stab in the dark
    I'm bored/ You're an idiot and I'm poking you with sticks

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trudij For This Useful Post:

barjon (4th March 2021), Outsider (4th March 2021)

Thanks
    Trudi, you have been a beacon of sanity on Twitter this week.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to chroniclandlord For This Useful Post:

trudij (5th March 2021)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by trudij View Post
    The storm in a teacup basically just means that I think he should have had a massive fine for bringing racing into disrepute and some kind of “holiday”. Dragging someone publicly over the coals like this ( for something that is really not awful - he was sat on a dead horse for gods sake, he didn’t skin it alive and start having sex with it!) is far far out of proportion to the “crime” ( in my humble opinion)

I just think there are times to get upset over stuff and there are times you don’t. What’s gone on over this smacks of witch hunt and we may as well have given them pitchforks and torches to go up to the yard. It’s totally out of order that it’s ended up how it has.

I do agree with you. I think that the BHA and the majority of the racing media have behaved with no sense of perspective whatsoever.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to chroniclandlord For This Useful Post:

trudij (4th March 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,128 Times in 2,052 Posts
    "The owls are not what they seem"

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Diamond Geezer For This Useful Post:

Outsider (4th March 2021), reet hard (4th March 2021)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Ufortunately the BHA havs no backbone and crumble to public opinion at every turn......They could have simply said this is Irelands problem and they will decide his punishment.......by all means give a statemnt saying how disgracefull it was but banning his runners and being part of ruining his life to keep social media at bay is just weak and wrong.

Only one person did a silly thing but becuase of the way it;s been handled many others will suffer ie losing jobs

I have to agree a large fine and a holiday would have been enough and it should have been done by the Irish within days.......instead the BHA stick their noses in and make the whole thing worse
    Formely Fist of Fury