Page 72 of 316 FirstFirst ... 2262676869707172737475767782122172 ... LastLast
Results 1,421 to 1,440 of 6308

Thread: What are you backing Today? Part 2

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I think if I fell into a bucket of **** the way my luck is going I would come out clean.

Bells of Perorboro obviously had me and others fooled when winning last time like a real good un and ran stone last but after looking he might be unplace Gazette Bourgeoise ran on like a tiger and held on to second
    giving me a nice little profit which is better than a poke in the eey with a sharp stick
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Thanked 3,499 Times in 2,755 Posts
    Very disappointing from BOP, looking in trouble with a circuit to go. That was a pale shadow of the performance that blew his rivals away last time. Maybe that race took more out of it than it looked at the time.

Also very disappointing from Vienna Court in the mares' chase, illustrating the perils of backing in mares-only races. She was only giving 2lbs to a horse rated 10lbs inferior.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I am taking the profit and having it on Iceo who I already backed at 3.1 and 3.05 on the machine.

Pied Piper is a warm order but I thought the race he won in Ireland had 99% more non triers than triers in it and in the end would have been second if the second had jumped alittle bit better

PN Loves his Saturday winner and I reckon Iceo at around 2/1 looks nailed on to put a smile on his face
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Orchid View Post
    Cheers, GH. I don't think I've ever suggested the Longshot thread was for serious punters.

I suspect the majority of people on here love the sport and bet modestly within their means. I would be mortified if anyone put a heavy bet on anything I put up on that thread although obviously I feel more strongly about some of the selections than others.

I don't even consider myself a 'tipster' either. I actually don't particularly like when people offer thanks or congratulations after a winner with words along the lines of 'great tipping'. It's not tipping. I'm merely letting people know what I have backed and 99% of the time why. I don't want the responsibility of being a 'tipster'.

Anyone with the remotest grasp of probability will know that a thread based on 20+/1 shots will produce many very long losing runs. A long losing run of longshots doesn't bother me in the least.

That's not the point of the thread. The point is to find 20+/1 shots that should be much shorter than the odds on offer. I think the thread has been very successful in that regard for several of its regular contributors.
    I doint think you need to jusify yourself on here DO, especially not to that particular poster, who for some reason no one seems willing to call him out for the **** that he is.

I put him on ignore which helps but of course others keep quoting his posts

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Beef or Salmon For This Useful Post:

Desert Orchid (28th January 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 885 Posts
    San Francisco Bay 4.45W
    ew 9/1 B365

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PlaceBacker View Post
    4.00 Doncaster-Steinkraus

Each Way @ 5-1 [888 Sport]

Big run looks on card from in form stable
    ​2nd
    "The wise man is one who knows what he does not know"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,144 Times in 1,024 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marb View Post
    Live to fight another day, Fist.

I have completed my Skybet Chase form study for Saturday. There's a few horses at the top of the weights who seem to be 2M4F horses.

The fav trained by your man Nicky Henderson is a decent horse but I will be taking him on. Can this years Hennessy winner trained by Venetia Williams, Cloudy Glen, bounce back after its pulled up effort the last day?

The horse I came round to is Hurricane Harvey. He is still quite a lightly raced chaser. He was good as a novice chaser including when he won at Doncaster over 3 miles.

This season his best form came in the Badger Beer Chase at Wincanton which I usually think is a decent enough race.

He has a significant pull at the weights with that days winner Rocco. Hurricane Harvey was giving Rocco 5lb in weight for the 8L beating he was given.

This Saturday Hurricane Harvey will be receiving 5lb in weight off Rocco, so by my calculations that is a 10lb pull at the weights.

It seems to me Fergal O Brien has a horse with potential to win a good handicap chase like this in the shape of Hurricane Harvey.

I just hope he can cope with being ridden midfield or tracking leaders as that is where he needs to be, as opposed to out the back and not travelling. He gets my vote each way anyway.
    On the drift now, 22s in a place. I am holding out for 25s or bigger tomorrow.

I was just reading the Sporting Life a few of their pundits fancy a few outsiders in the race. Suprisingly to me not one has gone for Hurricane Harvey though!

All Marb fans and followers should be backing this each way!

You have all been told. No apologies from me if he gets well beat either...
    Last edited by Marb; 28th January 2022 at 6:24 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Marb For This Useful Post:

Outsider (28th January 2022)

Thanks
    I'll have a number of modest bets tomorrow. I've already put one or two up elsewhere on here.

Cheltenham 12.15 - Hydroplane 10/1 - when I did this race on Thursday this one was 11/2 and I thought that was value. There's obviously some concern that he's almost doubled in price but I was seriously taken by his last win and felt he was still handicapped to win a race of this nature. In for a penny...

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    The betting for the big race at Cheltenham today has me scratching my head wondering why the bookies are being so generous.

While I am not a big fan of Chantry House the only possible danger I can see to him today is himself or Polly Gundry having worked some dort of misracle and Santini being back to his best.

I regard this as a steering job for nicky and amust for a 5*****Bet on the Machine at evens and slightly better.

Can't see the price getting much better so I am hacking away at it bit by bit until matched

Chantry House 5*****start bet Evens
    Formely Fist of Fury

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Tanlic For This Useful Post:

Marb (28th January 2022)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanlic View Post
    Your excluded from my wrath I actually find your posts interesting and you certainly don't overpost with crazy tips..My old bookie once said if you want to make money run a book on the flat and back ew over the jumps.

Sometime I wish I had listened
    I bought the Racing Post yesterday morning, never having gotten it before. It was a grand way to pass an hour in the pub before the racing started but at €4.50 it was fairly expensive. Even if I read every article I doubt I'd get more than 90 minutes out of it (The Irish Field on Saturdays feels like a far better read). Anyway, I passed it onto some other fellas in the pub having a bet and said it was fairly useless for tips. As the man who had an aul gawk at it said, re the old sayings we're mentioning in our posts, "Shur, I can pick my own losers fine myself."

Thanks
    Fairyhouse has three maidens from 2.15 until 3.25. I genuinely don't know how I do in maidens, and even if I delved into my spreadsheet it'd probably be useless because a maiden in January is different to a maiden over the summer is different to a maiden in October. My head is telling me to just ignore them and have a go in the first four races, and if anything holds out for me see what other people are saying, or if I last to the 4pm hurdle. I have a feeling I do well in maidens though, but it just doesn't seem like smart money when you're picking off the form on the Racing Post.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,128 Times in 997 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I thought SEVERANCE 1215c 9/1 travelled well last time and felt 2m 5f was a bit too far.drops back to 2m 197 yds.

STORMY FLIGHT 222u.9/2 I backed this at 12s last week and it was backed into it fav.got badly hampered and unseated at the first.can make amends.

At Lingfield WATER OF LEITH 435 5/2 caught the eye first time.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Outsider For This Useful Post:

2017diary (29th January 2022)

Thanks
    Palavecino 2.38L
    Deal A Dollar 3.12L
    Double @11.375 B365

Thanks
    In the Sky Bet at Doncaster, I put up Storm Control at 20/1 the other day so I'm onside with that one now into single figures but there are two others in the race I'm backing.

Canelo 18/1 6 places
    Grand Sancy 18/1 6 places

Canelo is my main fancy for the race and I've been watching him this season wondering what race they're plotting him up for. I think this is it.

Grand Sancy is largely disappointing so his selection is more speculative but it's a big pot and the horse has come down the ratings a fair way. I don't think he's there to get his mark further down but he'd be my least strong fancy of the three.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Orchid View Post
    I'll have a number of modest bets tomorrow. I've already put one or two up elsewhere on here.

Cheltenham 12.15 - Hydroplane 10/1 - when I did this race on Thursday this one was 11/2 and I thought that was value. There's obviously some concern that he's almost doubled in price but I was seriously taken by his last win and felt he was still handicapped to win a race of this nature. In for a penny...
    Ultimately out to 16/1 so clearly not too much expected but he ran well until turning for home and wasn't given too hard a time of it. Maybe the ground didn't suit, maybe the Sandown race fell in his lap. Forget it and move on.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    The betting for the big race at Cheltenham today has me scratching my head wondering why the bookies are being so generous.

While I am not a big fan of Chantry House the only possible danger I can see to him today is himself or Polly Gundry having worked some dort of misracle and Santini being back to his best.

I regard this as a steering job for nicky and amust for a 5*****Bet on the Machine at evens and slightly better.

Can't see the price getting much better so I am hacking away at it bit by bit until matched

Chantry House 5*****start bet Evens
    They all count and the unbeaten star bets continues

I consider myself very lucky. At no point was he travelling like a Gold Cup horse
    Hope he is ok Nico jumped off him right after.

Bit of blue on Odschecker as low as 11 for the gold Cup
    Obviously weren't watching the race.......I wouldn't have him at 25/1.
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Thanked 1,144 Times in 1,024 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I had a slight worry for Hurricane Harvey in that he wouldn't travel and therefore couldn't win and that fear came to reality.

Pushed and shoved along after half a mile he has actually run an eyecatching race to finish 8th in the end.

If they can get the horse in peak form at home he can win a race over fences again. Its a case of 'watch for next time out' with him.
    Last edited by Marb; 29th January 2022 at 5:00 PM.

Thanks
    Sunday (3.40 Naas)

Neveradullmoment

Each Way @ 11-1 (Skybet) 5 places

Looks the horse in race with most scope to improve
    "The wise man is one who knows what he does not know"

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Whiskey Sour ran his best race for along time when a close up 5th behind Gua Du Large on a Grade 1 Handicap

On the face of it that looks like a solid piece of form to be going forward on but I can't get away from the fact
    the horse has run several races like that before then failed to build on it every single time.

Sanit Felecian looks to be on the upgrade and hasn't put a foot wrong and this as one very ordinary race.

There was enough evens after deduction on the machine to justify a bet but I am not going to go crazy after Chantry House almost spoiling the party yesterday
    and knowing the run has to end sometime.

Saint Felician 2**star Bet evens
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Whiskey Sour ran his best race for along time when a close up 5th behind Gua Du Large on a Grade 1 Handicap

On the face of it that looks like a solid piece of form to be going forward on but I can't get away from the fact
    the horse has run several races like that before then failed to build on it every single time.

Sanit Felecian looks to be on the upgrade and hasn't put a foot wrong and this as one very ordinary race.

There was enough evens after deduction on the machine to justify a bet but I am not going to go crazy after Chantry House almost spoiling the party yesterday
    and knowing the run has to end sometime.

Saint Felician 2**star Bet evens
    GL, Fist, Saint Felicien looks geared toward the CH and has the potential to be top class, but it's a nothing race, and could just be eduucational, whereas Whiskey Sour has been around for a while, looked promising lto, and connections would probably be chuffed to win any race with him.
    Just saying, mind, as I won't be betting in the race.
    Last edited by reet hard; 30th January 2022 at 7:39 AM.