Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 49101112131415 LastLast

Thread: The 2021 Grand National

Thanks
    Many Clouds was still technically a 7 year old when he won I suppose. I know I felt at the time that Hedgehunter just needed another year to mature after he fell in his first National. It just seems like a different race now.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to moe For This Useful Post:

Outsider (11th April 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,128 Times in 2,052 Posts
    Patrick Mullins account of his ride in the Grand National. Good read.

https://www.racingpost.com/news/gran...&utm_term=Null
    "The owls are not what they seem"

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Diamond Geezer For This Useful Post:

chroniclandlord (13th April 2021), edgt (12th April 2021), G-G (14th April 2021), HawkWing (12th April 2021)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by moe View Post
    I thought they’d started walking horses back through the water sprays that they use for eventers? Or did they decide that wasn’t necessary if the race was ran later? I, too felt worried for the horse but had forgotten about it till I saw a picture of him today looking very tired. I wish I still had friends and work colleagues asking me for for tips for the National. The people I know these days at best tolerate my love at racing and at worst are quite unpleasant.I think that may be why I don’t seem to enjoy the race as much. If I was still working I probably wouldn’t mention the race now. Seems a long time since I used to chat about racing with our patients ( I was a medical receptionist).
    The downside being the stick I get when any tip doesn't win.!!! 2 years ago, 2019 the one I really fancied needed rain and I kept saying that but of course it didn't rain and Tiger Roll won and I got stick for weeks after. If I had a Pound for every time I had to say ' IT DIDN'T RAIN and I told you it had to rain , but you ignored that bit and backed him anyway!! ' All ignoring that I said back Frodon for Ryanair at that Cheltenham, and again for last year's KG that 33s was a ridiculous price - Oh Frodon won, YES HE DID - did you back him? Oh no I forgot. Not sure what else a girl can do!
    Sands of Mali, October 2018 at Ascot , got his ground I said, back him I said, did they............
    One guy who's a legal bod and very good at his job, 2 summers ago ( very few been in the office since last March ) came up to my desk and said ' If I said Encore and Crystal Glass, what would you say? ' Err I'm not sure what would I say? Would you bet on them? Why when are they running? At Ascot on Saturday. Are they, which race? I don't know but one's a sure thing he says. Do you mean Enable and Crystal Ocean I say? Oh that might be them....... Well she's very short I say and likely to win so might be better to do a forecast. What's that he says? So I tell him. What if he beats her he says ( I'd explained that one was a girl and the other one wasn't by now ) well possibly, so do a reverse forecast. What's that he says. I tell him...nope...I tell him again...nope , can you email me with it he says and give me their numbers ( I told him if using Tote.... ) so I do. He goes racing 3 times a year and doesn't bet otherwise. Won £240, £20 note and a box of chocs on my desk on the Monday. No no I said don't be silly...no he says wouldn't have got it if not for you. I say wouldn't have got if they hadn't finished one and two, nothing to do with me! I always told him Raising Sand as well, which he did but he said he still came out down on the day!
    Last edited by G-G; 12th April 2021 at 7:30 PM.
    Vote Alfie!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,243 Times in 632 Posts
    Every year I get the same people crawling out of the woodwork to ask me what’s going to win the National. Every year I say use a pin!
    Actually this year my family all WhatsApped me so I gave them five horses. Including Minella Times, Any Second Now and Farclas. Told them to back them each way. Only my eldest nephew listened to his shrewd aunt and is a very happy lad. The rest all thought they knew better......
    tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito

Thanks
    Thanked 3,499 Times in 2,755 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jinnyj View Post
    Every year I get the same people crawling out of the woodwork to ask me what’s going to win the National. Every year I say use a pin!
    Actually this year my family all WhatsApped me so I gave them five horses. Including Minella Times, Any Second Now and Farclas. Told them to back them each way. Only my eldest nephew listened to his shrewd aunt and is a very happy lad. The rest all thought they knew better......
    I send out my ratings and pinstickers guide every year. The family all knows how much time I spend on the form and, while they appreciate my input, they seem to prefer deciding for themselves. I think it's something in the genes. I suppose it would be asking a bit much to expect them all to just row along with my figures and thoughts but they'd be doing fine if they did!
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Geezer View Post
    Patrick Mullins account of his ride in the Grand National. Good read.

https://www.racingpost.com/news/gran...&utm_term=Null
    He's very good.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jinnyj View Post
    Every year since 2007 I get invited to hospitality at the festival. This year they had a virtual horse racing event on the Wednesday evening where I was asked for a tip the next day. Managed to splutter out Flooring Porter and a couple backed it. The rest said your tips never win although I’ve given them a few winners before (a few more losers it’s true). It’s always the losers that get remembered
    Also gave the same crowd Minella Times but that will no doubt be forgotten too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 3,499 Times in 2,755 Posts
    My experience with colleagues is largely the same. Give them a couple of winners and you're God's gift. Follow it up with a couple of losers and you're a clown.

I do, however, recall two colleagues (separate workplaces) who were the opposite. They completely blanked the losers and kept remembering the winners I gave them. Purely by coincidence, they were school technicians, one male and one female.

The former I remember giving him a few winners, notably one called Go Bananas at a nice price. Years later he was still going on about it. Great guy.

The latter was a lovely, even-tempered woman who absolutely beamed whenever I gave her one (a winner, that is) and whose parting shot to me when I left was along the lines of 'what am I going to do for horses to bet?' but she said it with that lovely smile she had.

Those are the people I prefer to remember.
    Last edited by Desert Orchid; 13th April 2021 at 10:12 AM.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    When civilians ask me for winners I default to the unabbreviated version of the greatest truism of the 21st century. NKFA.
    "And still they gazed and still the wonder grew. That one small head could carry all he knew.

And that small head knew that Impaire Et Passe would win the Champion Hurdle."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,224 Times in 927 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Two of us at work used to have a nap of the day competition which lasted throughout the season with a slap up pub lunch to finish, loser pays. The boss came in soon after we had started it and caught us studying form. When he found out what we were up to he was a good sport and joined in. “I’ll have the third horse down in the third race of the day at the main meeting” he said. We rubbed our hands in delight and thought of what we were going to have off the menu on him - he won it by a street, though, and I’ve never lived it down.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    One of my first dates (as teenagers) with the (still) Mrs AC was to a mixed card at Leopardstown on a Friday night. It was her first time (at the races.) I have a memory of Exdirectory winning the Derby trial, so it must have been '78. Novice Hurdle: She liked the colours worn by a particular horse with a 'SWE' suffix on the racecard. I explained, very partronisingly with a soupcon of condensation that Swedish bred horses don't win hurdle races in Ireland and to find a different home for our 50p.

Nearly half a century later I still get 'but you wouldn't let me bet on Sword of Light, what do you know?' Needless to say it had hacked up at some stupid price.
    "And still they gazed and still the wonder grew. That one small head could carry all he knew.

And that small head knew that Impaire Et Passe would win the Champion Hurdle."

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to an capall For This Useful Post:

Len Madeiros (13th April 2021), Perpetual (13th April 2021)

Thanks
    Maybe your boss was quite canny barjon. I’m sure I used to be told the third horse down in a handicap was a likely winner and I bet the third race of the day would most likely be a handicap. WHill radio have an ongoing theory about grey number 5’s that do have an uncanny knack of winning.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,224 Times in 927 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Aye, that’s what we concluded (inevitably handicaps), but it didn’t save our blushes overmuch.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,129 Times in 998 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by moe View Post
    Maybe your boss was quite canny barjon. I’m sure I used to be told the third horse down in a handicap was a likely winner and I bet the third race of the day would most likely be a handicap. WHill radio have an ongoing theory about grey number 5’s that do have an uncanny knack of winning.
    320 newmarket?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Outsider View Post
    320 newmarket?
    Grey no 5 1st 9/2

Thanks
    Maybe wrong but I think it applied to handicaps

Thanks
    Also, jockeys trainers having winners on their birthday eg Paddy Brennan today....

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Outsider View Post
    Grey no 5 1st 9/2
    Gavin Cromwell 3rd race at Fairyhouse... no3 won 10/1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    As it stands Vintage clouds is number 5 in the scottish national.

Thanks
    All sorts of stats re Rachel in this article upto and including last weekend

https://zoelouisesmithx.com/2021/04/...ave-ever-seen/

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Diamond Geezer For This Useful Post:

edgt (14th April 2021)