Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bryony Frost

Thanks
    Thanked 4,128 Times in 2,052 Posts

Bryony Frost

Great piece on Bryony and jealousy within racing by Donald McRae in The Guardian

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...P=share_btn_tw
    "The owls are not what they seem"

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Diamond Geezer For This Useful Post:

Desert Orchid (9th January 2021), G-G (9th January 2021)

Thanks
    I am sure Bryony Frost is correct that there are people in racing who are jealous of the success she has had and the attention she receives, including some colleagues who are still riding. By making a general complaint, however, and not naming names, of lot of blameless colleagues will feel tarred with the same brush. She would probably be better off doing more of her talking on the track, and letting the fact she is used by many of the best trainers around speak for itself.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 735 Posts
    I agree Art

There is a time for talking and a time for walking

There are plenty of jockeys out there who haven't got the breaks she has (does not take away from her talents)

In nearly every way possible, the sport has been fairer to her than others
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Thanked 3,482 Times in 2,742 Posts
    I didn't read the 'complaint' as a generalisation. It's clear she's talking about a small-minded minority.

Anyone with a clear conscience on the matter won't be bothered by her words.

Given how successful she is and how media-friendly she is, it's important that she can highlight that racing has gender issues because people are going to listen to her.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 620 Posts
    I read the article and felt “good on her” Although I was involved first in racing thirty years ago, let me tell you even now as a female it is very, very hard to be taken seriously. You have no idea of the blatant sexism that goes on. I (and many others) suffered enormously as a result. I became a very tough, hard individual as a result. Do any of you have any idea what it’s like to be referred to as a “split a*se?”

Bryony is probably the very best thing that has happened to racing in a long time and the fact that she feels that it’s necessary to speak out, probably means it is. She is 100% genuine in everything she does and it’s a load of rubbish to suggest she got a lucky break simply because her dad is a trainer and Nicholls gave her a job. She got it because she is hugely talented. I interviewed her several times during her point to Pointing career and she was as she is now. Utterly delightful. I used to watch her early rides a bit sceptically as I wondered if her dad was not running the horses on their merits. But he was just giving her safe rides to get round and give her confidence.

And boy can she ride. I have said earlier that she possesses something special. Horses run for her. I watched her on Yala Enki on Saturday and she’s beautiful to watch. So soft on a horse with her hands. And that is why horses respond to her. She is all about the horse rather than herself and long may she continue.
    tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito

7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to jinnyj For This Useful Post:

barjon (11th January 2021), Desert Orchid (11th January 2021), Desperate Dan (11th January 2021), Diamond Geezer (11th January 2021), G-G (12th January 2021), Len Madeiros (11th January 2021), reet hard (11th January 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 925 Posts
    Blog Entries
    When you next watch a race look for the rider who is perfectly balanced, quiet and stock still with head barely wavering. Chances are it’ll be Bryony.

At the sharp end watch for a rider who conjours a finish out of their horse without giving it a hard time. Surprising how often Bryony and Hollie Doyle will feature.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to barjon For This Useful Post:

G-G (12th January 2021), jinnyj (11th January 2021)

Thanks
    Imagine the hysteria if Frodon won the Gold Cup!
    All comers, all grounds, all beaten!

This perfect mix of poetry and destruction.

Thanks

Thanks
    Bryony Frost has worked exceptionally hard and been willing to learn from the best. Her ability and achievements are self-evident, not least to the top stables who are happy to use her.

When faced with prejudice there is an unfair dilemma for the victim. Is it better to call it out or to sit quiet and hope it will eventually melt away in the face of the facts? It is good to be reminded that one or two female riders breaking through does not mean that prejudice towards them has magically disappeared. On the other hand I wouldn't like to see her being hit with a backlash.

There's no right or wrong approach to take, everyone is different. Rachael Blackmore happens to be an honours graduate of the John Magnier School of PR (Whatever You Say Say Nothing) while Bryony is a real communicator.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankel View Post
    Imagine the hysteria if Frodon won the Gold Cup!
    I for one would very much look forward to it!

Thanks
    Don't know how many would notice but clicking on the little button to the left of the Title of a thread on the main page takes you to the first new post since you last read the thread.Very useful.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Orchid View Post
    I for one would very much look forward to it!
    Wasn't the right time after the Cotswold. More chance of getting it now, though not convinced if a proper test.
    All comers, all grounds, all beaten!

This perfect mix of poetry and destruction.

Thanks
    I think a lot of jockies, current and ex, could be accused of benefitting from getting plum rides over others, thems the breaks and who wouldn't do it for their own kid. But I doubt Nicholls would have put her on Frodon in the King George if he didn't think she was up to it.

Personally I enjoyed seeing her win and anyone trying to take anything away from her on it is being a bit of a dick , including AP McCoy and the comment he made.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I didn't watch racing on Saturday. I hear Adam Wedge is on the naughty step for saying it 'is a man's game.'

Does anybody have context please?
    "And still they gazed and still the wonder grew. That one small head could carry all he knew.

And that small head knew that Impaire Et Passe would win the Champion Hurdle."

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    If you are a very good jockey you’ll eventually get plumb rides. That’s why she’s getting them now.

It’s a bit of a fallacy that all you need to succeed is a good horse under you. Poor jockies cost their horses lengths in a race which makes it harder for them. Poor jockies don’t win as often as the ability of their horses merit. . Good jockies save their horses lengths which makes it easier for them. Good jockeys win more often than the ability of their horses merit.
    Last edited by barjon; 11th January 2021 at 11:40 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by an capall View Post
    I didn't watch racing on Saturday. I hear Adam Wedge is on the naughty step for saying it 'is a man's game.'

I'll try and get back to you tomorrow on that, AC. It did flash across my mind that maybe there was a wee dig when he said it so I'll look at the recording tomorrow for the overall context.

It might have been a totally innocent remark. Footballers say it all the time if there's been a lot of 'contact' during a match. You wouldn't know it was a man's game watching the Hoops tonight.
    Last edited by Desert Orchid; 11th January 2021 at 11:24 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,553 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by barjon View Post
    If you are a very good jockey you’ll eventually get plumb rides. That’s why she’s getting them now.

It’s a bit of a fallacy that all you need to succeed is a good horse under you. Poor jockies cost their horses lengths in a race which makes it harder for them. Poor jockies don’t win as often as the ability of their horses merit. . Good jockies save their horses lengths which makes it easier for them. Good jockeys win more often than the ability of their horses merit.
    I disagree, Barjon, and reckon the role of the jockey is massively over-emphasised in racing.

Clearly, there are a very few exceptional ones (e.g. McCoy, Walsh), and some appalling ones (e.g. Mr D Maxwell, Victoria Pendleton), but these extremes aside, the rest are all much of a muchness, and are entirely dependent on the horse they are riding to make them look either good or bad. Very few of them actually make a difference, and even when they do, it’s very-much by exception, rather than the rule.
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
    I disagree, Barjon, and reckon the role of the jockey is massively over-emphasised in racing.

Clearly, there are a very few exceptional ones (e.g. McCoy, Walsh), and some appalling ones (e.g. Mr D Maxwell, Victoria Pendleton), but these extremes aside, the rest are all much of a muchness, and are entirely dependent on the horse they are riding to make them look either good or bad. Very few of them actually make a difference, and even when they do, it’s very-much by exception, rather than the rule.
    Well, I think we’ll have to agree to disagree, Grassy.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by an capall View Post

Yeah they interviewed him after the Welsh National win, he'd been buried a couple of times from falls earlier on in the day and they were asking him how he felt.
    He just replied, " it's a mans game and you've just got to get on with it."

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tiggers1972 View Post
    Yeah they interviewed him after the Welsh National win, he'd been buried a couple of times from falls earlier on in the day and they were asking him how he felt.
    He just replied, " it's a mans game and you've just got to get on with it."
    Yes. He was using shorthand for saying that he needed to be brave and ride through the injuries. Had he added 'this is why women can't ride horses.' or 'this is why you need to be a man to do this job.' he should get the attention he has.

No doubt if he was asked he would have said that it shows the bravery of the women jockeys who put themselves in the same danger daily.