Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Leaders of the Free World

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I'll let him know you said that.
    "And still they gazed and still the wonder grew. That one small head could carry all he knew.

And that small head knew that Impaire Et Passe would win the Champion Hurdle."

2. The Following User Says Thank You to an capall For This Useful Post:

Slim (11th January 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 875 Posts
    Please do:it's 100% true.

Thanks
    Dessie can’t deal with people who disagree with or contradict him.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to LUKE For This Useful Post:

pawras (11th January 2021)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LUKE View Post
    Dessie can’t deal with people who disagree with or contradict him.
    He certainly doesn't like getting pulled up for wanting to disenfranchise people who disagree with him

Thanks
    Pontius: Pilate "Jesus or Barabbas"
    Crowd: "Barabbas''

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Tout Seul For This Useful Post:

Desperate Dan (11th January 2021)

Thanks
    DO used the phrase ‘benevolent dictator’ and is criticised for it. I’ve used it several times on here and iirc DO picked me up on it but also understood it’s meaning.
    It’s an oxymoron in reality but I was taught in primary school that when asked to vote on something I should first consider the facts, then make my decision and finally vote as if a benevolent dictator for that which was the best outcome for all voting. Thus disregard what is good for you and vote for what is best for the most.
    Seems a reasonable way to me.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tout Seul For This Useful Post:

Desert Orchid (12th January 2021), HawkWing (12th January 2021)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Wrote a paper on Utilitarianism TS, back in the day - good summary here if you want to frame it a bit more.

https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/u...anism-history/
    "And still they gazed and still the wonder grew. That one small head could carry all he knew.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,483 Times in 2,743 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tout Seul View Post
    DO used the phrase ‘benevolent dictator’ and is criticised for it. I’ve used it several times on here and iirc DO picked me up on it but also understood it’s meaning.
    It’s an oxymoron in reality but I was taught in primary school that when asked to vote on something I should first consider the facts, then make my decision and finally vote as if a benevolent dictator for that which was the best outcome for all voting. Thus disregard what is good for you and vote for what is best for the most.
    Seems a reasonable way to me.
    I don't have access to several of the previous posts but I'm glad someone is on the same wavelength.

I honestly don't recall 'picking you up' on the phrase before, TS, but if I did I'd like to think it was in a positive sense as it's a phrase I was introduced to in Philosophy at uni and even by then I could see its merit.

There was a time I could have trusted the Labour party to act for the greater good, something that just isn't part of Conservative policy. That was pretty much the political philosophy in our house while my dad was working but I noticed he became very disenfranchised with his union in the seventies when he felt they were supporting workers who, he felt, deserved to be sacked for their conduct.

It was probably about then he moved towards the right and started buying toilet paper like the Mail.

Politics were rarely discussed in our house thereafter as it was him against at least three of us brothers, it upset our mother and it almost cost him his friendship with his very best buddy who was a shop steward.

Some subjects are deeply divisive. Politics and religion tend to blind people to views beyond their own but I was brought up to be tolerant, polite and kind and would always want to see the greater good prioritised over individual benefit, be that individual one person or a conglomerate.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    You can see all posts if you’re not logged in so it’s amusing and pointless clutching your pearls and setting people to ignore for when you’re logged in.

“I've never been in favour of democracy as the best form of government because it doesn't work if people in general are not politically educated.
    Give me a benevolent despot any time.”

Those were your exact words, but what is deemed as both ‘benevolent’ and ‘politically educated’ are purely your own opinion !
    No one has the right, certainly not the likes of you, to determine who is considered suitable, by any measure, to vote and determine the direction of the country.
    I think it’s very arrogant if someone thinks they should have the right to vote and influence the lives of others who they would disenfranchise so they have no voice until they deem them worthy.

It’s in some ways akin to those who objected to universal suffrage, in the 19th and early 20th century but yours would the right kind of disenfranchisement because you don’t like the newspaper(s) they read eh? Or maybe you’d like to revoke 1872 ballot act which resulted in secret ballots so the right kind of people can harangue people for not voting ‘correctly’ Lol

Whether people vote in the GE, the EU Ref or anything else on what they personally see as the greater good, which can differ greatly by individual, or purely on their own individual wants and needs or any combination of, is their business and, despite what some elements would obviously prefer, they don’t have to justify any of it to anyone so suck it up buttercup.
    Last edited by pawras; 12th January 2021 at 4:28 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to pawras For This Useful Post:

LUKE (12th January 2021)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Au Contraire.

When I am elected to head the Irish Government my first Bill (aka edict) will be allow sufferage only to those living in South Dublin* over 30 years of age and with a Masters degree at least. Once that is done I will move on to ban golf courses that use metres instead of yards in course measurements. That will leave enough time at the end of day one to ban the import and sale of cucumbers.

*(South of the Burlington, East of the M50 and North of Loughlinstown Roundabout.)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to an capall For This Useful Post:

tiggers1972 (13th January 2021)

Thanks
    Do you have a newsletter that I can subscribe to? Who came up with the meters in golf courses, should be a day in the week for shooting them.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 925 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Well, there is a day, but it’s for boiling in oil rather than shooting.

Thanks
    Good Luck, Joe! Work to be done.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Tout Seul For This Useful Post:

moe (20th January 2021)

Thanks
    Aye, first job is to ensure Trump can't come back.

Thanks
    I do fear for his and Kamala Harris` safety. The USA seems far more violent and divided than I can ever remember. Trumps legacy, I suppose.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Desperate Dan For This Useful Post:

moe (20th January 2021)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by reet hard View Post
    Aye, first job is to ensure Trump can't come back.
    Or he could enact policies that appease those that were so disillusioned they voted for Trump.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Appeasement? Does that mean we can tell Charles Byrnes that he can have just a 'little jab' now and again?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by an capall View Post
    Appeasement? Does that mean we can tell Charles Byrnes that he can have just a 'little jab' now and again?
    Charles will be back in 6 months after clearing the criminal owners out of his yard. As for America...

Thanks
    Biden sworn in 9 minutes early meaning the country had exactly what it wanted, two presidents!

Thanks
    Be good to have one who presides, rather than some power-mad narcissist on an ego trip.