Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Racing cancelled?

Thanks
    I’d be very confident of the festival going ahead now. If they aren’t pulling the plug on sports now they won’t do again.

Probably so they don’t have to give a financial bail out package to them all, but that’s another story and topic.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 801 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Nick Luck has a podcast interview with Cheltenham manager/clerk.
    Heard a bit on RTE radio this evening and they are confident at the minute at any rate of holding the Festival, but are expecting a minimum crowd at best.
    More worried about getting course ready and attracting as many horses as possible.

Thanks
    Jesus sport being on is vital to stop people going crazy. A Cheltenham festival behind closed doors will do just fine.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    The bank of Thailand decided to block skrill and Neteller and I only put in 20 to 70 pounds at a time these days and had all but run out...........so I asked my friend to use his uk debit card open a neteller account and email me the money to my neteller account........work ok but now no racing........BORING
    Last edited by Tanlic; 5th January 2021 at 7:05 AM.
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Cheltenham shouldn’t even be looking at fans

1. It won’t be allowed anyway.
    2. They took a PR disaster last year, even 2k fans time round would not be a good look. Ride it out and go again next year, when tickets will be gold dust and bumped up an extra £20

Thanks
    I agree Slim. Someone emailed racing radio the other day and said they suffered from either anxiety or ocd and during lockdowns racing radio was a complete lifeline. I have to agree: as someone that has been shielding for months I was overjoyed when racing started again, especially as I used to know some of the people on racing radio from the old racing club days and it was so good to hear their voices. My heart sank yesterday when I thought racing might be cancelled again.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to moe For This Useful Post:

Slim (5th January 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,128 Times in 2,052 Posts
    Cheltenham are resigned to the fact this year’s Festival will be held with only around 2,000 people present each day — at best.
    Now the country has been placed back into full lockdown the track must make some key decisions over the next couple of weeks about the meeting, which starts on March 16.

Normally, the biggest jumps meeting of the year welcomes 250,000 spectators through the gates over the four days, 70,000 of them on the final day to watch the Gold Cup. Those scenes were condemned by some last March when the Festival was the last major sporting event before the Covid-19 crisis plunged the country into lockdown.

Cheltenham’s meeting last month had a crowd of 2,000 a day made up of owners, annual members and paying spectators.
    Officials must also work out how to sustain the traditional challenge of Irish runners, with travel restrictions and isolation protocols still likely to be in place.
    Ian Renton, the Jockey Club’s regional managing director, said: ‘We’ve accepted that it is going to be a different Festival this year. We have to be realistic that it is likely only small numbers of people will be present.
    ‘Let’s see where we are by March. We are focused on setting the stage for four world-class days, which are vital to many livelihoods in the British racing industry and will be enjoyed by millions on television.’
    Jockey Club Racecourses, who own Cheltenham, have insurance which covers the majority of lost revenue, but not all of it.

Marcus Townend
    "The owls are not what they seem"

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Diamond Geezer For This Useful Post:

Double J (5th January 2021)

Thanks
    Snowflakes all over the interweb and social media lambasting the government for allowing sports to go ahead. It’s getting quite the momentum as well.

People need to get a life. If they cancel sports I’ll be locked in the house with my two 1 year twins, and a 5 year old with absolutely nothing to look forward too.

I can’t even take my kids out to the park in this weather, let alone any soft play centres etc. People need to be careful what they wish for. People out there who’ll be somewhat worse off than me, and something simple like a football match or a horse race could be something literally keeping them from going insane.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Double J View Post
    Snowflakes all over the interweb and social media lambasting the government for allowing sports to go ahead. It’s getting quite the momentum as well.
    The very same Snowflakes who turn up on a beach and are outraged that others are doing the same thing!!!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxbet View Post
    The very same Snowflakes who turn up on a beach and are outraged that others are doing the same thing!!!
    Who were also no doubt off marching everywhere in the summer too!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tiggers1972 View Post
    Who were also no doubt off marching everywhere in the summer too!
    All a bunch of fukcwit cnuts!
    Last edited by Frankel; 5th January 2021 at 2:11 PM.
    All comers, all grounds, all beaten!

This perfect mix of poetry and destruction.

Thanks
    People will always find reasons to criticise racing these days. Oh for the days of my childhood when everyone loved and took an interest in it. What people do tend to forget is, and I think I’m right in thinking this, is that it’s one of the biggest employers in this country. They cite mental health as a major concern when lockdowns are imposed but ignore the fact that watching/listening to sport makes people happy. If only the Festival had been held behind closed doors last year: they wouldn’t have been able to continue blaming it for the spread of the virus. I bet there’s be a public outcry if Netflix was closed down for the duration.

Thanks
    Listened to something yesterday, if Irish horses can’t travel one book have already said they’ll refund all Irish horses. ‘Justice refund’ guessing that’ll be Paddy’s, they’ve also gone NRNB today.

What will happen with Irish horses in multiples? I’m sat on some very nice bets, tempted to bite the bullet and get rid though. Unfortunately with my SkyBet ones I can’t.

I’m saying all this, I still think it’ll be good to go. Terrible times though

Thanks
    Thanked 3,483 Times in 2,743 Posts
    We need to look for the positives.

Late last March we went into complete lockdown. No football, racing, nada, zilch, rien.

Now we know so much more about the virus we can at least manage some things, despite the utter incompetence of the government whose focus seems to be on killing as many people as possible and making a financial killing for their families and cronies.

We can see sport on TV, at least 'elite' sport.

We can meet another person as part of a 'bubble'.

We can go out for a walk or exercise.

We can go to the shops for essentials.

Idiots aren't stockpiling bog paper.

Supermarket deliveries are doing a great job.

Firms like Amazon are doing a great job (in my experience).

We have two vaccines and a fair chance more are on the way.

Trump has been kicked to fvck.

Hospitals - so far - are trying to get on with non-Covid appointments. (I have three appointments this week, none of which has been cancelled.)

Opticians and dentists are open (with restrictions).

From a purely personal perspective, I don't feel too badly affected by it all. I'm retired and my pension is enough to keep the wolves from the door. I don't feel the urgent need to go out, especially in foul weather (although the weather up here has been pretty nice for a couple of weeks, which helps, with very little in the way of wind and snow instead of rain, which I always prefer).

The only thing I really miss is my monthly snooker and lunch with my also-retired brothers. We haven't played since the first week of March and I haven't seen most of my nieces or my nephew in all that time but we're all still alive and relatively well. One death in the family in all that time wasn't Covid-related.

But we've all been pretty careful about keeping within the guidelines and instructions.

What we thought might be short-term pain for long-term gain is turning out to be not-so-short-term pain for uncertainty about the level of gain further down the line but most of us now will qualify for one reason or another for a relatively early vaccination.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Desert Orchid For This Useful Post:

Colin Phillips (6th January 2021), Desperate Dan (6th January 2021), Maxbet (6th January 2021), moe (6th January 2021)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Orchid View Post
    Now we know so much more about the virus we can at least manage some things, despite the utter incompetence of the government whose focus seems to be on killing as many people as possible and making a financial killing for their families and cronies.
    Plus the £7800 state benefit payments that would have been paid over the next 10 years, to the 50,000 or so, over 65's that have died.....£390,000,000 and counting...not to mention the cost of all the free prescriptions and treatments to the most users !!!
    Last edited by Maxbet; 6th January 2021 at 2:09 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,483 Times in 2,743 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxbet View Post
    Plus the £7800 state benefit payments that would have been paid over the next 10 years, to the 50,000 or so, over 65's that have died.....£390,000,000 and counting...not to mention the cost of all the free prescriptions and treatments to the most users !!!
    You sound as cynical as I do [at times], Maxbet.

I actually got the calculator out last night and did the same calculation, out of curiosity, regarding state pensions, and imagined a cabinet chat:

-How much does the State pension pay?
    -How many over 65s are there?
    -How much will we save if we let them all die?

I certainly wouldn't put it past some of these cabinet minister at least to think along those lines.

Other possible questions:

-How many teachers are there?
    -What if we say children and young people don't spread the virus, how quickly will this lead to 'herd immunity' once all the above scroungers have been eliminated?
    Illegitimi non carborundum

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Desert Orchid For This Useful Post:

Colin Phillips (6th January 2021), Maxbet (6th January 2021)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Orchid View Post
    You sound as cynical as I do [at times], Maxbet.

I actually got the calculator out last night and did the same calculation, out of curiosity, regarding state pensions, and imagined a cabinet chat:

-How much does the State pension pay?
    -How many over 65s are there?
    -How much will we save if we let them all die?

I certainly wouldn't put it past some of these cabinet minister at least to think along those lines.

Other possible questions:

-How many teachers are there?
    -What if we say children and young people don't spread the virus, how quickly will this lead to 'herd immunity' once all the above scroungers have been eliminated?
    The second part is a conspiracy theory I could get behind

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Slim For This Useful Post:

Desert Orchid (6th January 2021)

Thanks
    I'm hearing a rumour that there is a meeting tomorrow about racing being called off for three weeks.
    Last edited by Slim; 10th January 2021 at 7:39 PM.

Thanks
    There's no reason for it to be. Elite sport remains. Racing is in that category. And it's one of the safest sports around.

It'll be some idiot trying to make a name for himself online.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Maruco View Post
    There's no reason for it to be. Elite sport remains. Racing is in that category. And it's one of the safest sports around.

It'll be some idiot trying to make a name for himself online.
    Slim is not everyones cup of tea, but that seems unduly harsh Maruco

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Beef or Salmon For This Useful Post:

Slim (10th January 2021)