Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Racing cancelled?

Thanks

Racing cancelled?

Just been announced today that boxing will be suspended throughout January in the UK because of the rise in cases.
    Also because hospitals are stopping their usual services, medical professionals are at a premium and won’t be as many available at sporting events like usual.

Given racing needs ambulances and medical professionals on site, I won’t be suprised to see racing also temporarily suspended.

Thanks
    There were only two pro cards scheduled for January in any case, on the 22nd and the 30th. This instruction appears to have come from the BBoC rather than the government.

If the BHA is worried about bad press, it might follow suit. But given that the government is informing its citizens that COVID apparently does not spread through schoolchildren then I can't see them touching horse racing. Unless there is another u-turn...

Thanks
    He’ll make up another tier soon enough, and I should think all sport will be suspended as it was March-May last year. Football is getting so many cases at the moment - once that is suspended, many other/ all other sports will follow.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,243 Times in 632 Posts
    I think it’s highly likely due to medical services pressure.
    tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bachelors Hall View Post
    There were only two pro cards scheduled for January in any case, on the 22nd and the 30th. This instruction appears to have come from the BBoC rather than the government.

If the BHA is worried about bad press, it might follow suit. But given that the government is informing its citizens that COVID apparently does not spread through schoolchildren then I can't see them touching horse racing. Unless there is another u-turn...
    Don't think bad press will concern the BHA, already have it in certain quarters for banning owners. It's a bit galling to watch footballers hug each other and members from the opposing team, but not allowed to go and watch your horse run. Can go and play golf with non household members too...no consistency, aside from those too ignorant to follow the rules, or morons such as those outside St Georges' Hospital the other night, as Jonesy said 'we're all doomed' .
    Vote Alfie!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,128 Times in 997 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by G-G View Post
    Don't think bad press will concern the BHA, already have it in certain quarters for banning owners. It's a bit galling to watch footballers hug each other and members from the opposing team, but not allowed to go and watch your horse run. Can go and play golf with non household members too...no consistency, aside from those too ignorant to follow the rules, or morons such as those outside St Georges' Hospital the other night, as Jonesy said 'we're all doomed' .
    And my brother is still making sheds with 30 strangers.

Thanks
    Playing Golf with someone outside of your household is no different than meeting someone from outside of your household for a walk?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 885 Posts
    Just my opinion, but I reckon it's a shade odds-on that the Festival will be behind closed doors, come March?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by reet hard View Post
    Just my opinion, but I reckon it's a shade odds-on that the Festival will be behind closed doors, come March?

I’d have it shades odds on the festival doesn’t happen. National lockdown imminent with sport cancelled and schools shut.

Wonder if they’ll open up another Betfair market

Thanks
    Agree. No chance of a "normal" Cheltenham and slim chance it will go ahead. Our glorious Leader will surely be aware of the hammering he got for letting last years go ahead. Only a complete fool would repeat that. And is he a complete fool? Second thoughts, perhaps it will go ahead.

Thanks
    March is a long way away. We'll know more in a months time but at that stage Cheltenham and trainers will need assurances.

Thanks
    Be interesting to see what the books do with AP bets if it does get cancelled. Be an absolute shitstorm I imagine if they don’t refund any.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,144 Times in 1,024 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The path the gambling corporations are going down, can we rule out a virtual Supreme Novice hurdle, Arkle, Champion Hurdle etc? They did it with the Grand National.

What about a virtual Cheltenham Festival.

Sickening really isn't it.
    Last edited by Marb; 3rd January 2021 at 11:10 PM.

Thanks
    I don’t see why they’d cancel Cheltenham or racing in general for that matter but allow football to continue and the implications of cancelling football during the period between now and mid March is far greater, with the impact on the rescheduled Euros and the likelihood of lower league clubs going out of business.
    Alcohol, because no good story ever started with "I was eating this salad..."

Thanks
    dont wory guys I will have some South African Horseracing previews if that happens

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Top Tipster For This Useful Post:

edgt (5th January 2021)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tiggers1972 View Post
    Playing Golf with someone outside of your household is no different than meeting someone from outside of your household for a walk?
    One other person for a walk.... my nearby golf club all playing 4s at the weekend - car park packed.
    Vote Alfie!!!!

Thanks
    One other person for a walk.... my nearby golf club all playing 4s at the weekend - car park packed.
    Business meeting

Thanks
    I’ve played nearly every day - played today and f**k me the weather was brutal - and my club have been very good in controlling the situation. I’ve not seen one instance of abuse of the rules, inc 4 balls etc and it’ll be a real pity that they’re inevitably forced to close again from midnight.

Drive to the course on my own, step out of car and say “Hi” to playing partner from greater than 2 metres, poke masked head in club house to confirm we’re there, walk to first tee and tee off. Finish round, congratulate partner, get in car and drive home on my own. But as it’s deemed unnecessary they’ll no doubt stop it.

Anybody who’s seen me play golf will attest to it being the most socially distanced thing imaginable
    Last edited by wilsonl; 4th January 2021 at 8:08 PM.
    Alcohol, because no good story ever started with "I was eating this salad..."

20. The Following User Says Thank You to wilsonl For This Useful Post:

Colin Phillips (5th January 2021)

Thanks
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210104_192135.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	850.5 KB 
ID:	2557

I've tried to play a bit, and my club has been very strict with the rules.
    Last edited by tiggers1972; 4th January 2021 at 8:24 PM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Racing to continue
    Pinnacle Chauffeur Transport
    www.yourchauffeur.co.uk