Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheltenham Handicaps

Thanks
    Hendo definitely targets the race each season, and I always look for his entries.

Buzz is the obvious one this season. Call Me Lord is potentially in the mix, as is On The Blind Side. And it's not inconceivable Dame de Compagnie doesn't come back for the race. If she doesn't take to fences or they abort the plan, she'd still be feasibly handicapped.

He's usually got one or two that fly under the radar that get entries too.

Thanks
    Verdana Blue not getting dropped from 151 after being stopped in the International must have annoyed them.

Thanks
    She might turn up, but she wants a road and a flat track, and I'd imagine they might be they're aiming at something later in the season as her main target.

They've definitely got their eye on something before she goes to the paddocks.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,483 Times in 2,743 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post
    Verdana Blue not getting dropped from 151 after being stopped in the International must have annoyed them.
    That was one of the first things I checked the following Tuesday. A plan foiled, maybe, although she is well enough handicapped whenever they decide to take the handbrake off.

I'm not sure the Ayr Champion Hurdle will be worth it's usual top level prize money but it will be ringmarked for her on the calendar.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Thanked 1,553 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I reckon there’s every chance Verdana Blue will be sacrificed in a Festival handicap, to ensure the yard have a relative feather-weight for one they are looking to smuggle in.
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Imagine a festival with fewer Irish raiders and as a result of owners not being allowed in, fewer entries generally due to those owners who simply want to watch their horse run at Cheltenham.

Surely that has an impact on the ratings and we’d end up with lower rated than usual horses getting.

Not entirely certain that it gives us a betting angle but it could be worth considering those ante post bets on horses that might not normally make the cut.
    Alcohol, because no good story ever started with "I was eating this salad..."

Thanks
    Will make no difference. It's the best prize money and Cheltenham is Cheltebhan.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,483 Times in 2,743 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wilsonl View Post
    Imagine a festival with fewer Irish raiders and as a result of owners not being allowed in, fewer entries generally due to those owners who simply want to watch their horse run at Cheltenham.

Surely that has an impact on the ratings and we’d end up with lower rated than usual horses getting.

Not entirely certain that it gives us a betting angle but it could be worth considering those ante post bets on horses that might not normally make the cut.
    I think most of the handicaps will be affected to varying degrees in this respect but I don't think it will impact too much on the outcome. The handicaps are usually won by horses with a bit of class. I wouldn't mind knowing how many of them are won by something near the bottom of the weights.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Will make no difference. It's the best prize money and Cheltenham is Cheltebhan.
    Prize money isn't all that great.

Last year the county and coral hurdles were 56k to the winner. The betfair a month earlier was 87k to the winner.

The ultima on the Tuesday was only 62k to the winner. Nowhere near the money you would get for the paddy power at Christmas (110k) or the ladbrokes trophy at Newbury (142k).

Sent from my SM-J415FN using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Once we get back to normal is there not an argument that we could have a tote monopoly on course.

Thanks
    Not unless they are going to ban mobile phones. I haven't had a bet with an on course bookie for at least 5 years.

Thanks
    A lot of people especially on the big days, or days when a band is playing after the action attract people who aren't gonna bet on their phones. We need to funnel the money they spend betting into racing rather than independent bookmaker satchels.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Euronymous View Post
    Once we get back to normal is there not an argument that we could have a tote monopoly on course.
    I would imagine at the very least it will be used as leverage in attempt to get the betting industry to pay their fair share

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by littlelad View Post
    Prize money isn't all that great.

Last year the county and coral hurdles were 56k to the winner. The betfair a month earlier was 87k to the winner.

The ultima on the Tuesday was only 62k to the winner. Nowhere near the money you would get for the paddy power at Christmas (110k) or the ladbrokes trophy at Newbury (142k).

So skip Cheltenham and win a handicap at Plumpton?
    Last edited by Slim; 15th January 2021 at 4:54 PM.

Thanks
    So skip Cheltenham and win a handicap at Plumpton?
    Cheltenham clearly has massive appeal to owners, hence many would prefer to win Cheltenham handicaps for much less prize money.

I remember a couple of years ago there wasn't even a full field for the betfair hurdle, but there was a long list of horses balloted out of the county!!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by littlelad View Post
    Cheltenham clearly has massive appeal to owners, hence many would prefer to win Cheltenham handicaps for much less prize money.

I remember a couple of years ago there wasn't even a full field for the betfair hurdle, but there was a long list of horses balloted out of the county!!

I'd guess most owners don't even know what the prize money is.

Thanks
    In 2020 Cheltenham didn't suffer the same median drop in prize money compared to 2019 that some courses did and actually had a small uplift across the year.

Thanks
    Sky Pirate looks the wise one for the Grand Annual.

Thanks
    Speaking of the Grand Annual, Chosen Mate, last years winner, with a very careful ride there at Fairyhouse. **** knows what he’s being aimed at.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Double J View Post
    Speaking of the Grand Annual, Chosen Mate, last years winner, with a very careful ride there at Fairyhouse. **** knows what he’s being aimed at.
    So blatant it's laughable, yet nothing will ever be said. Wins with any amount in hand last year despite the race not even being the main target and then isn't put into a race over obstacles since. No doubt the 10-15lb he had in hand last March will be evident again from the back of the last in the Grand Annual.