Page 1 of 27 12345611 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheltenham Handicaps

Thanks

Cheltenham Handicaps

Not sure if this is an appropriate thread this far out. But given the obvious plot jobs last year, thought one could be relevant.

Obvious ones last year were Sire Du Berlais, The Storyteller and Aramon. Most of which many of us picked up on posting on here.

Ones that could be this year from such an early stage are Mick Pastor, and Tower Bridge (tipped by Gavin Lynch yesterday)

One that’s caught my eye, not sure if Cheltenham will be the ultimate target, but Ravenhill. No effort shown in the Grade 1 won by The Storyteller, when ‘ridden’ at the back. Then was happy to run at the back at the back on Sunday. Something obviously up the sleeve for this horse.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,483 Times in 2,743 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Double J View Post
    One that’s caught my eye, not sure if Cheltenham will be the ultimate target, but Ravenhill. No effort shown in the Grade 1 won by The Storyteller, when ‘ridden’ at the back. Then was happy to run at the back at the back on Sunday. Something obviously up the sleeve for this horse.
    Grand National, maybe?
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Orchid View Post
    Grand National, maybe?
    The Ultima or the Nash crossed my mind, but I’ve not delved into the horses previous form too much. Went into the tracker after his run in the Ladbrokes Champion, then my first suspicions were confirmed after his run on Sunday. Just working out which race is the target. I’ll look into previous runs and form see what I can come up with.

Ultima usually requires a real high class horse to win it for me, a horse that wouldn’t be out of place in a Gold Cup. Without looking, not sure Ravenhill has show any of that.

On the National note, Alpha Des Obeaux is clearly being ran to get a nice weight for this race. Pretty sure I put him up for it last year when cancelled, can’t quite remember.
    Last edited by Double J; 25th November 2020 at 2:22 PM.

Thanks
    Grand National, maybe?
    Ravenhill entered in the Becher Chase on December 5th. National looks the target then.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Double J For This Useful Post:

Desert Orchid (25th November 2020)

Thanks
    On the National note, Alpha Des Obeaux is clearly being ran to get a nice weight for this race. Pretty sure I put him up for it last year when cancelled, can’t quite remember.
    My brother is quite keen on ADO for Aintree too. Phoned me again after its last run to remind me about Aintree. He's good at spotting such types.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Desert Orchid For This Useful Post:

Grasshopper (25th November 2020)

Thanks
    Ravenhill entered in the Becher Chase on December 5th. National looks the target then.
    Kim Muir?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,553 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My brother is quite keen on ADO for Aintree too. Phoned me again after its last run to remind me about Aintree. He's good at spotting such types.
    This one has had a tendency to bleed in the past I think, DO. Not sure I’d want him for the Nash.
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Grasshopper For This Useful Post:

Desert Orchid (25th November 2020)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tiggers1972 View Post
    Kim Muir?
    This before a tilt at the National I'd expect. Was all down to run in it before the late switch to the 4 miler.

Thanks
    No chance Ravenhill will qualify for the Kim Muir

Rated in the 150s in Ireland and it’s extremely hard to see the BHA adding less than another 4lb from his OR when he won the “4 miler” last year. The horse he beat that day off levels has a BHA OR of 152 and Ravenhill will be 150s too, no doubt.
    Alcohol, because no good story ever started with "I was eating this salad..."

Thanks
    Windsor Avenue is definitely of interest for the Caspian next month.

Thanks
    Supasundae I think is being lined up for something, not sure what.
    Coko Beach is one I’ll have a keen eye on today for something as well later down the line.

Thanks
    I agree with both.

Supasundae won the Coral Cup off 148 and is down to 151 before today. Three quick poor runs (and even time to squeeze a fourth if necessary), in order to given him a break and back to Festival fresh.

Im also watching Coko Beach. I think Gordon has another one that would probably have the same target that could end up better handicapped though. I also think JP could be double handed in that race.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Maruco For This Useful Post:

Double J (30th November 2020)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Supasundae I think is being lined up for something, not sure what.
    Retirement.

Horse is gone at the game, imo.

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Jessie on Supasundae

He's in great form and we're looking at the Lismullen Hurdle for him. He's also entered in the Morgiana Hurdle and will probably run in all those good Graded hurdles this season. If he's no good I'll threaten him with going chasing to do a Faugheen!
    Last edited by Maxbet; 30th November 2020 at 11:43 AM.

Thanks
    Chasing? Jeez. Horse must be gone then. I honestly thought they’d be looking at something like the Coral Cup where it’d carry my money.

Thanks
    I'm not suggesting he's an antepost proposition, but if he's on 'the right mark' and has an entry in the Coral Cup you'd want to take notice. Jessie is not afraid to handicap one and he's not going to win a Grade 1.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    No matter how hard you try to get an 11yo handicapped to win a Festival race, you’re almost certainly going to run into something equally well-handicapped, younger and more progressive.

I remain unconvinced that Supasundae’s ability is still there, and they’re just being clever. He just looks gone to me. It happens.
    Last edited by Grasshopper; 30th November 2020 at 6:03 PM.

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Thanked 1,108 Times in 979 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm not totally convinced that LE BAGUE AU ROI has regressed.i take on board what is said about her always travelling well but fails to see it through but although W.Greatrex says she needs 3m nowadays I think she is being prepared for another crack at the mildmay of fleet
    (Browns advisory) last year she unseated Johnson when going well and is 4lb lower before last week where I thought she was being slowed down at her fences.she ran well previously and so I do tend to let my brain think PLoT.with a bit of luck it should get dropped another 3lb.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Maruco View Post
    I agree with both.

Supasundae won the Coral Cup off 148 and is down to 151 before today. Three quick poor runs (and even time to squeeze a fourth if necessary), in order to given him a break and back to Festival fresh.

Im also watching Coko Beach. I think Gordon has another one that would probably have the same target that could end up better handicapped though. I also think JP could be double handed in that race.
    Not sure about Front Views jumping for the Brown Plate.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
    No matter how hard you try to get an 11yo handicapped to win a Festival race, you’re almost certainly going to run into something equally well-handicapped, younger and more progressive.

I remain unconvinced that Supasundae’s ability is still there, and they’re just being clever. He just looks gone to me. It happens.
    True but the oldies do still grab the occasional moment of glory.

Croco Bay is a recent one that springs to mind.