Thread: Amazon Fire Stick

Thanks
    Thanked 3,482 Times in 2,742 Posts

Amazon Fire Stick

I got a letter today from RTV telling me they were upgrading their service via [a free] Amazon Fire Stick.

I was just wondering if I'll be able to use the AFS for anything beyond RTV?

If anyone else has one, could they give me an idea of any other benefits it brings?

My m-i-l was once given a 'Kodi' stick and I was told I could use it to access certain channels that were normally subscription based but after a couple of weeks I couldn't get any of them.

Just wondering.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Orchid View Post
    I got a letter today from RTV telling me they were upgrading their service via [a free] Amazon Fire Stick.

I was just wondering if I'll be able to use the AFS for anything beyond RTV?

If anyone else has one, could they give me an idea of any other benefits it brings?

My m-i-l was once given a 'Kodi' stick and I was told I could use it to access certain channels that were normally subscription based but after a couple of weeks I couldn't get any of them.

Just wondering.
    Hi Do

You can get standard channels on there such as BBC iPlayer, 4 on demand, ITV Hub... plus apps such as Netflix and Amazon Prime Video etc. but while they were great a few years ago they don't offer too much that you can't nowadays get on today's internet ready, smart TVs.

The main difference is apps like Kodi which in theory allows you to watch whatever movies & TV programs that you want, to varying degrees of quality (which is clearly listed before you "press play") but in reality the add-ins that need to be installed within Kodi are regularly protected against, meaning you are often needing to upgrade them. Note : This doesn't require new hardware, just installing alternative add-ins and such.

If you want Kodi installed on it you could DM me but as I've said to many people, it's not supported in that I don't want a stream of texts and whatsapps every time one of the add-ins stop working, because they do eventually and it requires regular maintenance.

On the other hand, if you're half-way tech savvy then googling how to do it yourself is the way forward because it doesn't take long each time and it's only normally once every few months. "Teach a man to fish" and all that.

Short answer is, if it's free then take it as they're decent enough and open up opportunities with Kodi etc. if you're prepared to invest an hour or so initially.

And if you don't already own a smart TV then it's a great addition to your household, even just connected to a spare room TV.
    Alcohol, because no good story ever started with "I was eating this salad..."

3. The Following User Says Thank You to wilsonl For This Useful Post:

Desert Orchid (26th November 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 874 Posts
    Or IPTV.

Thanks
    The AFS came today and I've installed.

Initially I couldn't get sound with RTV but restarted the router and that seemed to sort it, at least for now.

I can't say I'm impressed with the quality of picture on RTV so it remains to be seen whether other channels are any better.

If anyone can recommend other apps I wouldn't mind checking them out.

Thanks
    D.O

do you mind me asking how you get RTV on the firestick.

Thanks

Thanks
    I went to the search facility and started keying in 'Racing TV'. By the time I got to 'Rac..' it came up on the menu.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Desert Orchid For This Useful Post:

luckyme (27th November 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 735 Posts
    Mo

Feel free to email me

We can talk legal/illegal options
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

10. The Following User Says Thank You to granger For This Useful Post:

Desert Orchid (28th November 2020)

Thanks
    Anyone know if there is a way I can watch Racing TV on my phone through a site or stream?

I get overruled by the Mrs to add it to the Virgin Bill, despite the fact I pay it. ITV I didn’t used to mind, but sick of watching racing through betting sites as I keep getting drawn into looking at the in play running odds.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,221 Times in 924 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Double J View Post
    Anyone know if there is a way I can watch Racing TV on my phone through a site or stream?

I get overruled by the Mrs to add it to the Virgin Bill, despite the fact I pay it. ITV I didn’t used to mind, but sick of watching racing through betting sites as I keep getting drawn into looking at the in play running odds.
    Just download the app.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by granger View Post
    Mo

Feel free to email me

We can talk legal/illegal options
    As long as Orchidette's honour isn't at stake