Thread: Why always horse racing?

Thanks

Why always horse racing?

Just scrolling through Twitter, and shamefully, the government have excluded boxing from any government support in their sports rescue package.

Without reading it properly, I believe horse racing courses are to receive 40 or 80 million in funding to help get through this crisis, and rightfully so.

However, Eddie Hearn and a few others are raising questions about the funding. And the main point is:

How can horse racing receive funding and not this or that?

My point is, there is a load of other sports etc that have received greater funding, but it’s still somehow racing that gets the comparison. Why is this? I genuinely don’t get it.

Thanks
    It’s great that racing’s getting funding, but think it’s an easy target for a number of reasons – elite/rich man’s sport, the gambling connections and animal cruelty

I don’t think they’re valid but racing is a little insular. All of us on here clearly love it, but very few of my mates could give a flying feck about it, but have strong interests and opinions on all other mainstream sports such as football, rugby, boxing, snooker, golf etc…

I should add that I love boxing and agree with Eddie they should have got some cash, especially over Rugby!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 885 Posts
    Isn't horse racing the 2nd largest spectator sport, and doesn't the 1st, more or less, look after their own?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by reet hard View Post
    Isn't horse racing the 2nd largest spectator sport, and doesn't the 1st, more or less, look after their own?
    Exactly

Thanks
    Thanked 1,243 Times in 632 Posts
    Too many woke people in mainstream media who won’t promote it. Hardly a mention on national news sports reporting. And for example the Daily Telegraph have a “sport to watch on TV” section in their TV guide. Very rare for racing to get a look in.
    Betting is damaging to mental health
    Its the sport of toffs
    Its cruel to horses and they whip them to death.
    tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito

Thanks
    The Tories don't think there are many votes they can win in boxing clubs. The owner/trainers bar in Newmarket may be a more hospitable environment for them!!

Sent from my SM-J415FN using Tapatalk

Thanks
    How many people does the sport employ?

The first couple of items I found after a quick search says 85,000 in the UK and 28,000 in Ireland. I am not sure how this is broken down and I suspect it includes a fair amount of ad hoc auxiliary employees. Perhaps someone who possesses a statista account might have a better idea. Nevertheless, I imagine the obvious reason is that racing provides jobs and plenty of them. I would be surprised if any other sport employs quite as many people.