Page 41 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3136373839404142 LastLast

Thread: The Road To The 2021 Champion Hurdle

Thanks
    Goshen not going to Cheltenham ever again...sticking to right-handed courses in future...is right!
    Last edited by Maxbet; 16th March 2021 at 7:53 PM.

Thanks
    Winner excellent.

Poor ride cost Epatante 2nd.

Goshen......... Jesus, thought he was gonna end up in Bishops Cleeve at one stage.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tiggers1972 View Post
    Winner excellent.

Poor ride cost Epatante 2nd.

Goshen......... Jesus, thought he was gonna end up in Bishops Cleeve at one stage.
    Don't know about a poor ride but it was a rough ride......got a real bump when she became the meat in the sandwich and sqeezed out when trying to take the inside passage giving sharjah 1st run but wouldn't have won no matter what....
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wilsonl View Post
    When we’ve just seen what looked an exceptional winner, the performance of beaten horses is largely irrelevant but Goshen had indicated at that sort of thing for a while so equipment was highly unlikely to be to blame.

I’d backed Epatante and Sharjah e/w but they were in a different league to the ultra impressive winner.

Many people - me included - felt there was a lesser buzz about this meeting but the first two races dispelled that theory and then she rubber stamped it.
    We were warned, early on this thread, about Goshen's propensity to lug rght. Didn't do me a lot of good, but we should be grateful for such prescience.
    Last edited by reet hard; 17th March 2021 at 6:24 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to reet hard For This Useful Post:

barjon (17th March 2021)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanlic View Post
    I wouldn t have her on my minđ for the chamion hurdle. I RECKON IT WAS MORE A CASE OF OTHERS BEING WAY BELOw their best and that have all haď enough chances to prove they are ip to ut...Sharjah ??? TBH i have my doubts about winning the mares against the jt fav who looks a class above her

Shrewd.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LUKE View Post
    In my opinion anything over evens on Honeysuckle is value -she is a winning machine who fooled us all into thinking she was lucky last March.Will be my biggest bet ever at the festival.

Shrewder.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post
    Henry De Brom is going to be the death of you!

Shrewdest.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 735 Posts
    Just the champ and gold cup come March

Henry is losing it
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Are you ok LUKE?
    All comers, all grounds, all beaten!

This perfect mix of poetry and destruction.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 1,015 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by granger View Post
    Just the champ and gold cup come March

Henry is losing it
    The first time I realised Henry De Bromhead was a good trainer was when Sizing Europe hacked up in the Greatwood.

The way Sizing then stepped up to land the Irish Champion Hurdle was awesome and he then would have surely won the champion hurdle had he not injured himself. How many Greatwood winners the past few years have stepped up to become Champion Hurdle class?

He had a fair amount of doubters at the time, and I note they continued to be proved wrong when Sizing won the arkle and champion chase.

What has happend to Alan Potts racing? I know this owner died but I don't see the colours as much these days.
    Last edited by Marb; 16th January 2022 at 10:55 PM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I spotted Sizing Europe before the Great wood and backed him AP for the Champion Hurdle and Katchit.tbh If you'd asked me who HdB was I wouldn't have a clue who you were talking about...in fact if you asked me today who trained Sizing Europe I wouldn't have known it was him...man flew under my radar until last season..no aftertiming here the posts can still be read on TRF
    Last edited by Tanlic; 17th January 2022 at 6:06 AM.
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 735 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Marb View Post
    The first time I realised Henry De Bromhead was a good trainer was when Sizing Europe hacked up in the Greatwood.

The way Sizing then stepped up to land the Irish Champion Hurdle was awesome and he then would have surely won the champion hurdle had he not injured himself. How many Greatwood winners the past few years have stepped up to become Champion Hurdle class?

He had a fair amount of doubters at the time, and I note they continued to be proved wrong when Sizing won the arkle and champion chase.

What has happend to Alan Potts racing? I know this owner died but I don't see the colours as much these days.
    Still one or two with his colours

Kids have little great interest in keeping horses

Sizing was an amazing horse
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Absolutely G.

I doubt if many people know he actually ran in 5 QMCC's and won 15 races which were either grade 1 or 2 .

One of my all time favs,
    Formely Fist of Fury

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Tanlic For This Useful Post:

granger (17th January 2022)

Thanks
    My Mate Mozzie being considered by Cromwell for the Champion Hurdle with the Supreme looking red hot.

Goes for the 2m novice race at the DRF then will decide from there. Sir Gerhard could be short there, Mozzie could be a bet at the DRF. He wouldn’t even be being considered if he wasn’t a tool. Again, could be blinkered viewing of the race.
    Last edited by Double J; 17th January 2022 at 7:29 PM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    It's a huge leap but then you could say the same about Espoir D’Allen who wasa group 3 horse at best before winning the Champion Hurdle

However from Novice to Champion Hurdle....HUGE!!!!! leap.

He said he was going to Haydock but he's decided against taking Jonbon on

His only other option if he wants to get a run into him is Leapordstown Grade 1 Hurdle but then maybe Dysart is also entered for that.

My first thought is If he couldn't beat Statuaire he's going to find Dysart Dynamo impossible to beat and Honeysuckle would most likely carry him on her back and still win the Champion Hurdle.

I honestly can't see the horse being good enough for either race as nice a horse as he is.

Howver if you don't try you definitely can't win
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanlic View Post
    It's a huge leap but then you could say the same about Espoir D’Allen who wasa group 3 horse at best before winning the Champion Hurdle

However from Novice to Champion Hurdle....HUGE!!!!! leap.

He said he was going to Haydock but he's decided against taking Jonbon on

His only other option if he wants to get a run into him is Leapordstown Grade 1 Hurdle but then maybe Dysart is also entered for that.

My first thought is If he couldn't beat Statuaire he's going to find Dysart Dynamo impossible to beat and Honeysuckle would most likely carry him on her back and still win the Champion Hurdle.

I honestly can't see the horse being good enough for either race as nice a horse as he is.

Howver if you don't try you definitely can't win
    He is going to the DRF. Id say Dynamo goes straight to Chelt now and Mozzie will meet Sir Gerhard in the 2m race at the DRF. Result of that will determine who goes where I’d imagine. Wasn’t even aware he was due to go Haydock

Should Mozzie win, he could be chanced in the Champion with Sir G going Ballymore. If Sir G wins,
    absolutely **** knows.
    Last edited by Double J; 17th January 2022 at 8:51 PM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Sorry DJ he wasn't going to Haydock I got him mixed up with Tommy Oscar who goes for the Unibet Trial
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Thanked 3,482 Times in 2,742 Posts
    Footnote to today's "trial" at Haydock...

Global Citizen won the race in 2019, beating Silver Streak (156) three lengths on ground similar to today's ("good to soft") and was put up to 158. I think he was probably not far off that again today on his first run since wind surgery but his OR was only 134. Maybe he needs decent ground and a flat track. He isn't in the Betfair but he would have been very interesting off 134! Maybe now they'll put him away for the Swinton back at Haydock in May, or maybe the Ayr 'Champion Hurdle', which is usually a decent handicap. But obviously it all depends on what the handicapper makes of today's race.

I thought Hunters Call would have been the danger today. I had him on 153p (OR 145) going into today's race. He looked as though, like Tommy's Oscar, he was happy to ignore the breakneck pace. I'm inclined to treat their respective races as a match. Tommy's Oscar has laughed him off by 14.5 lengths.

I'm disinclined to take either form line at face value but even just on HC's OR, Tommy's Oscar emerges as at least a 161 horse, plus whatever he had in reserve, and there looked to be plenty there.

Best case scenario? Hunters Call ran to 154 and Tommy's Oscar to 170. Now that would put a cat among the Honeysuckle pigeons...

The truth is probably somewhere in between, which still puts TO in amongst the best of the alternatives to the mare.

But all the while, it makes Global Citizen very interesting going forward.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Nothing in that would be trial has any place going for the Champion Hurdle...note The word CHAMPION. Tommy Oscar beat a 134 rated 10 year old by only 5 lengths...If that is deserving of a hike in anyone's rating they belong in a mental instiution Lovely old couple are doing well with a handful of horses God bless them but unless they have money to burn they should keep their money and scrap the fantasy that their horse has even a remote chance of being placed in a Champion Hurdle.
    Formely Fist of Fury

Thanks
    Thanked 1,553 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Let us all take a moment to say a prayer for those who have been backing Saint Roi into as short as 20/1, for they know not what they do.
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018