View Poll Results: Would you take the Vaccine?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

1 4.35%
  • Yes

22 95.65%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Covid Vaccine

Thanks
    Having short-lived side effects after vaccination is actually a good thing as it indicates that your immune system is responding well to the vaccine

https://inews.co.uk/news/health/covi...plained-877533

I'm 64 and have not yet been 'invited' but a friend of mine who's recently turned 65 is having hers next week, so I shouldn't have long to wait

Stats from the vaccine trials are all well and good but given their relatively small sample size must be treated with caution. Interesting times ahead as results gleaned on efficacy, duration and post-vaccination transmission rates from this now huge sample become available. Better times ahead too, hopefully

Thanks
    Thanked 1,224 Times in 927 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jinnyj View Post
    I had mine ten days ago and felt pretty rough (I’m 54). Mine was the Astra Zeneca. In case you’re wondering why I jumped the queue, a friend is our local triage nurse and was vaccinating the local adult care home. She had literally one spare dose and like many in her profession doesn’t want to waste any. As I live round the corner, she rang me to see if I wanted it. As my mother who I live with is deemed extremely vulnerable (she’s had her first jab too), friend thought it sensible to get me done early.
    FWIW, I felt rubbish! Really achy and flu like symptoms. I took paracetamol but I was in bed for a couple of days so it did knock me out. And I am pretty fit and healthy. But it’s a small price to pay IMO.
    I hope she’s got one spare for your second one!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,497 Times in 2,754 Posts
    I'm scheduled for my first jab on Wednesday (South Lanarkshire).

It seems different authorities are moving at different speeds, at least up here. My sister-in-law, a year younger than me (West Dunbartonshire, I'm 65, she's 64 but she'll only admit to being 16 as her birthday is Feb 29! ) got hers a couple of weeks ago. I made enquiries and was told that the older population in South Lanarkshire is among the biggest in the country therefore it was taking them longer to work their way through the over-70s.

I also need to check if I can go ahead with it. I'm due an eye injection on Monday and need to know if that will cause an issue.

As for reactions, I usually get soreness and weakness around the site of the flu jab so i'm half-expecting a reaction of some sort. As I said earlier, I'll settle for it for the sake of getting the jab.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Thanked 1,243 Times in 632 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barjon View Post
    I hope she’s got one spare for your second one!
    Im hoping that too! Actually I think once you’re in the system it should work out. I have my Covid card in any case.
    tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito

Thanks
    My arm was very sore after my flu jab but the covid one was painless and remained painless. What I have got though is a cold sore, something I’ve not had for a long time. Which shows that something is happening with my immune system. I had read that people having the Oxford vaccine had developed cold sores afterwards so I was half expecting it. I actually missed a phone call offering me a vaccine and was devastated so was over the moon to get a phone call the following week. In Israel there was in increase in infection amongst those that had had the vaccine but it has been attributed to people suddenly dropping their guard once vaccinated and a few weeks post vaccine the infection rate had gone right down amongst those vaccinated.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by an capall View Post
    Surely there can't be that many people in Scotland that make it to 60?
    It’s probably why he hasn’t responded Colm.

Thanks
    I have my first one on Wednesday next week, I'm under 60 but think they are taking other factors into account. Couldn't book the second one though, where friends who have had it in other areas, have been able to. Friends, family and colleagues who have had it have suffered no ill effects afterwards.
    Vote Alfie!!!!

Thanks
    I had my first jab about 3 weeks ago. Oxford one and did not suffer any noticeable effects.
    I'll tip my hat to the new constitution
    Take a bow for the new revolution

Thanks
    I’m counting the days to the 22nd day post vaccine when my immunity starts to kick in. Not that I’ll change my lifestyle in any way but I may not feel quite so panicky when a jogger or cyclist whizzes past me as I’m walking the dog.

Thanks
    I've been having a course of Chemo for several months now and will be starting another cycle shortly.
    The hospital did advise me to have the vaccine but they are not really sure what effect the Chemo will have on it.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Good luck, Walsworth. Life can be **** at times.
    Ah! but a man's reach should exceed his grasp......

Thanks
    And good luck from me for a full and speedy recovery.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by walsworth View Post
    I've been having a course of Chemo for several months now and will be starting another cycle shortly.
    The hospital did advise me to have the vaccine but they are not really sure what effect the Chemo will have on it.
    My sister is having chemo and she has had it. They have told her it should have no effect at all, and she hasn't noticed any. Obviously every one can be different. Hope it all goes okay for you x
    Vote Alfie!!!!

Thanks
    I'm starting my next 5 day cycle of chemo on Monday.

Thanks
    I have a friend that’s been treated for myeloma. I’m pretty sure he said he’d had the vaccine but don’t know where he is treatment wise: I know he was having chemo at one stage. I’ll try to find out more next time we have a chat. I know when I worked for the NHS we always asked people to have their flu jab before they started chemo.

Thanks
    Just to say DrJohns latest blog says the data coming through from the AZ vaccine is that it takes 35 days to reach full first dose efficacy. I had it down as 22 days. Not that I’ll be changing my lifesyle at all even after 35 days but I might feel a bit more relaxed when walking the dog!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,128 Times in 2,052 Posts
    Had ours 36 days ago so only just reached the target then. Thought we were there a couple of weeks ago
    "The owls are not what they seem"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by moe View Post
    Just to say DrJohns latest blog says the data coming through from the AZ vaccine is that it takes 35 days to reach full first dose efficacy
    There was some rather confusing news on this 35-day data kicking around on the BBC yesterday

This from the BMJ might clarify:

Among people aged 70 and over, protection against symptomatic covid-19 after a single dose of the Pfizer vaccine reached 61% (95% confidence interval 51% to 69%) from 28 to 34 days after vaccination then plateaued. Protection after a single dose of the Oxford Astra-Zeneca vaccine reached 60% (95% CI 41% to 73%) from 28 to 34 days and increased to 73% (95% CI 27% to 90%) from day 35 onwards.

Which implies that neither vaccine takes 35 days to reach full efficacy; rather, that the efficacy of the Pfizer one plateaus after this time interval whilst the AZ's continues to increase. 28 days seems to be the minimum time to reach full - presumably the expected - efficacy

Early days, much more data crunching to come, so expect many tweaks

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drone For This Useful Post:

Desert Orchid (3rd March 2021), Diamond Geezer (3rd March 2021)

Thanks
    Worth knowing that carers (non professional) are now able to be vaccinated but they need to be registered as such at their surgery.

Thanks
    As I am having weekly blood tests I have been told that they take an extra phial to check for anti bodies to the virus.
    It's about 35 days since my first injection now.