Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Animal Aid, Indoctrinating Kids

Thanks
    Take a look at the "Education Packs" that Animal Aid actually send out to schools.
    Fascists R Us I don't know about anyone else, but I find this not only offensive but extremely out of order. Ok, let's forget about hunting for a moment, if you look at the other bullshit they are preaching about they are trying to brainwash kids into being anti country pursuits (by which I mean shooting and fishing), anti racing (all types) and telling kids not to go to safari parks, not to eat dairy produce, fish or eggs, not to support medical charities (as they all test on animals), not to seek medical treatment (as they will receive medication that is tested on animals), telling them that keeping 'exotic pets' (even birds, for chrissake) is excessively cruel (try telling my parrot that, she was bred in captivity & lives the life of riley; she is happy as you like) and even encourages them to go on demonstrations!!! Get a look at this version of a leaflet they actually hand out at schools!!! Morally Disgusting & Wrong - Indoctrination of Kids I feel this is ethically & morally wrong & that any teacher promoting this bullshit in a school should receive the sack; it is not p to the teacher to push this onto kids, it is dangerous to push these extreme views onto kids & I know for a fact that my parents would have hit the roof if they thought that these extremist views were being expressed to me at school. Any comments from other people?
    Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess.

False face must hide what the false heart doth know.

Thanks
    Would you call religious instruction ( compulsory in schools until a few years ago) indoctrination Shadow ?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I don't know about SL but I would.

Colin
    Ah! but a man's reach should exceed his grasp......

Thanks
    I have no idea what type of school you went to, but where I went we had Religious Education, not Instruction, where we learnt about most of the prominent international faiths. And before you start about me being really young, I left school 8 years ago after completing my A Levels.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I don't know about SL but I would.That is if you mean by RI, religious services in school.
    If you mean the making of pupils aware of all religions and beliefs, then no.

Colin
    Ah! but a man's reach should exceed his grasp......

Thanks
    I would agree with you Colin - I may be mistaken, but I thought that making kids attend religious services/instruction has not been allowed for some years now?

Thanks
    That is what I said, it was compulsory up until a few years ago and it was titled RI - religious instruction.
    My point is that God is a belief not a fact whereas animal testing etc is fact and the children are being made aware of facts so, I would say that RI was more indoctrination than what Animal Aid are doing.

Thanks
    Originally posted by Shadow Leader@Oct 1 2004, 08:23 PM
    I would agree with you Colin - I may be mistaken, but I thought that making kids attend religious services/instruction has not been allowed for some years now?
    It happened in my school, we had a St. Edwards day mass on a Sunday each March which was compulsory attendance (got a day off for it mind) but not sure whether i was indoctrinated.
    Hurricane Fly - whatever he runs in he wins

Twitter: @Quevega

Thanks
    Originally posted by 221bar1@Oct 1 2004, 10:40 PM
    That is what I said, it was compulsory up until a few years ago and it was titled RI - religious instruction.
    My point is that God is a belief not a fact whereas animal testing etc is fact and the children are being made aware of facts so, I would say that RI was more indoctrination than what Animal Aid are doing.
    By a few years, you must mean 20 years plus as since I started at school 22 years ago no school I have been to has been allowed to make me go to any religious service, nor have I ever taken Religious Instruction, nor attended a school who has taught it, or known of one who has.

Are you being deliberately obtuse by saying that animal testing is a fact? It may well be, but look at the paraphernalia that Animal Aid are pushing for schools - they are also stating that it is cruel to test on mice etc to find cures for previously incurable diseases in humans and pushing their opinion onto kids that not only should it be banned, that they should not support decent charities like Cancer Relief, Heart Disease et al as they are guilty of this and also pushing kids not to seek medical attention if it is required. This is also a belief, not a fact, & it is a belief held only by these bigoted, extremist arseholes. Surely you cannot find anything positive to say about actively encouraging children to follow a restricting, unhealthy diet either by cutting out all meat, fish, eggs and dairy products? Considering that kids are growing & developing it is very dangerous indeed to encourage them to follow a malnutritious diet.

Thanks
    Quote: Are you being deliberately obtuse by saying that animal testing is a fact ?
    it may well be.

IT MAY WELL BE ????????????? where have you been ?

It is mainly due to the fascists as you call them that we are aware of some of the things that go on in the testing labs, one of the first being those Beagles whose mouths were clamped up to fags, remember ?

I agree that ALL the facts should be presented to children with no bias but that would be unlikely with any pro group.
    Some tests are valid for deseases but some are for cosmetics etc etc.

I was merely pointing out the interpretation of the word 'indoctrination' which was a fact with RI when I went to school, wheras you used the term for making children aware of animal testing which you seem to be not so aware.

There are much better informative ways of testing but I don't think you would agree with them as they will be seen to fascist logic.

You were brought up to believe that fox hunting was acceptable so it became as you put it ' A magnificent sport ' whereas my children were introduced to a cat and a dog as extensions of our family.

You may not be able to see the difference SL but there is one.

It all comes down to two different ways of life and mindsets so maybe it is better to just agree to disagree, agreed ?

Thanks
    Hang on a second there, I was agreeing with you that animal testing was a fact. What my point was is that kids should not be taught that it is wrong to test on animals for medical purposes which is exactly what Animal Aid do. Have you looked at their website? Have you looked at their leaflets? That is what I mean when I talk about indoctrination, are you trying to tell me that it is not? This is also nothing to do with my bringing up although you are intimating it is, it is about basic rights & wrongs. It also has nothing to do with my views on hunting so stop trying to drag that into it as well, if you read my inital post I stated that. Animal Aid are not capable of presenting an unbiased view whatsoever. I agree that kids should be taught facts from an unbiased point of view, which is an alien concept to Animal Aid, they simply should not be allowed to supply "Educational Resources" as they call them to schools. All the education they do is to teach them extremist views. I truly believe that AA are an extremely dangerous organisation.

Thanks
    I am sure you are correct in everything you say SL and I apologise for ever thinking otherwise

Thanks
    No need to get sarcastic about it, if you actually took a look at the leaflets they are sending to schools I'd hope that even you would be a little worried that this drivel was being fed to impressionable kids.....

Thanks
    SL, I can't imagine any properly run school putting these leaflets out to pupils in any official capacity. It will be recognised as an Animal Aid campaign/propaganda issue and either end up going into the nearest bin or it will be balanced against leaflets with opposing views as a stimulus for discussion in appropriate classes. It cannot, therefore, be interpreted as indoctrination on the school's part.

I'd have a good laugh over it while eating my rare fillet steak

Thanks
    Kids nowadays take no notice of anyone other than their peers so I wouldn't be too concerned.

They get all the negative gen on smoking and drugs and proceed to ignore it, that is those who bother to attend school.

Not being sarcastic SL just seeing the lighter side of life this sunny morn and not in an argumentative mood.

Give my regards to those barbaric neighbours of yours who torment bulls for pleasure :unsure:

Banned
    Thanks
    There are far more worrying things happening in schools that that. At the last count, there were 5 (with 5 more on the way) "Academies" run by scientologists under another name in England. All pupils required to carry a bible, evolution condemned and creationism taught instead. This is far more insidious and worrying than Animal Aid. They attempted to turn my school into one of these but have moved 2 miles down the road and are building it there instead.

Thanks
    It wouldn't/couldn't happen up here so I'm surprised it can happen anywhere else in the country. HMIE would close it if it failed to provide pupils with the statutory breadth of education. One recently-opened Muslim school up here was savaged by HMIE and was given a very short time to improve or be closed.

Thanks
    Scientology is a religious cult which practises brainwashing and orchestrated by some American nutter called Hubbard I think.
    If what PDJ says is correct then it is yet another nail in the coffin for the next generation.

Banned
    Thanks
    221bar1, try this site for a taster of what they like. I have some stuff from the Observer last year on my other(broken) computer that I will put up when I can

School site

Banned
    Thanks
    Here's something else

IoS investigation: Critics voice serious doubts over Christian academies run by millionaire car dealer and backed by PM

A controversial chain of schools teaching Biblical "creationism" has been given Tony Blair's personal support despite serious doubts raised by parents and teachers, The Independent on Sunday can reveal.

Mr Blair, said to be the most religious Prime Minister since Gladstone, has backed the millionaire car dealer Sir Peter Vardy in his attempt to take over seven comprehensives and turn them into Christian Academies promoting Old Testament views of the world's creation. This includes the claim that it was made in six days, 10,000 years ago. Two of Sir Peter's schools are open already, in Gateshead and Middlesbrough, and a third is under construction in Doncaster.

Last week, parents launched a campaign of opposition to his attempt to control a fourth school through his Christian Vardy Foundation. The protesters are supported by the scientist and author Professor Richard Dawkins, who has described creationism as "educational debauchery".

Mr Blair, a committed Christian, has presided over an extraordinary growth in the number of faith schools, with 80 new Church of England secondaries now running or in the pipeline.

He personally opened King's Academy in Middlesbrough, run by Sir Peter, an Evangelical Christian. When Emmanuel College in Gateshead, the first Vardy school, came under attack for teaching creationism, Mr Blair sent Andrew Adonis, one of his most senior policy advisers, to smooth the issue over.

In 2001, Mr Blair's government approved a knighthood for Sir Peter, head of the Reg Vardy car firm, for services to business and education.

The IoS can disclose that the links between the two men go back even further. They attended the same primary, the Chorister School, Durham, and Mr Blair was a classmate of Mr Vardy's younger brother, John. Mr Blair's constituency is, coincidentally, in Sedgefield, while Sir Peter is based in nearby Sunderland.

Academies are a category of "independent" school devised by the Downing Street Policy Unit in the late 1990s to help revive inner-city education. They are built and funded by the Government, but controlled by businessmen, church officials and other "sponsors", who make a 10 per cent contribution - about £2m.

According to John Rentoul, his biographer and an IoS columnist, Mr Blair is "the first Prime Minister since Gladstone to read the Bible habitually", a man who describes prayer as a source of solace. Although not a Roman Catholic - or, for that matter, a creationist - he attends Mass with his Catholic wife, Cherie, and their children.

Mr Blair has said the criticism of the Vardy schools is "overblown" and is more impressed that Emmanuel College has outstanding results at GCSE and glowing reports from Ofsted inspectors.

This is not a view shared in South Yorkshire. Next Saturday, parents and teachers at Northcliffe School in Conisbrough, near Doncaster, will demonstrate to block Sir Peter's plans to redevelop the local comprehensive.

One of the organisers, parent and youth worker Tracy Morton, said: "Our main concern is that a private organisation is going to have control over our school for an input of only £2m, and that it will have the opportunity to influence young minds. They have spoken about ... bringing a 'Biblical perspective to the teaching of science'."

A spokeswoman for the Vardy Foundation, Sarah French, said the schools teach creationism as part of a range of views. "The schools have a Christian ethos ... All faiths are taught in the school and children are encouraged to make up their own minds," she said. The national curriculum ensures that all children cover evolution, but it does not ban teaching creationism.

Critics, though, suggest that the Christian influence runs deep. The principals of King's and Emmanuel are both committed Christians, while the head of science at Emmanuel has, in the past, urged colleagues to show the "superiority" of creationist beliefs.

Nigel McQuoid, principal at King's Academy and director of schools at the newly created Emmanuel Schools Foundation (covering all the Vardy colleges), has said: "Clearly, schools are required to teach evolutionary theory ... Clearly, also, schools should teach the creation theory as literally depicted in Genesis. Ultimately, both creation and evolution are faith positions."

The spread of the Vardy Foundation schools has prompted criticism from a group of senior churchmen led by the Bishop of Oxford, Richard Harries. They spoke of their "growing anxiety" and urged close monitoring to ensure that the disciplines of science and religion are both respected. They do not accept the Vardy Foundation's position that evolution can be regarded as a "faith position".

Martin Rogers from the Education Network, an education think-tank, said there was nothing wrong with the principle of academies, and that large investment in struggling schools should be applauded. But the lack of accountability was a big concern. "For a very small sum of money ... you can peddle the most appalling garbage," he said.