Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cheltenham - Non Festival Meets

Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 735 Posts

Cheltenham - Non Festival Meets

Showcase today and hopefully a promising novice or two

Galvin is very short in the novice chase

Ask for Glory in the 1.50 probably the horse i'm looking forward to most

Charles Byrnes a great man to have a horse forever in one of the showcase novice chases
    Last edited by granger; 23rd October 2020 at 8:44 AM.
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    I have been suckered in to the Ask For Glory/Galvin double. Will do a couple of each way doubles with the enhanced odds on offer as well. Its good to see members can watch the whole card on RUK free of charge.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,482 Times in 2,742 Posts
    Yesterday evening I took 7/4 AFG, 7/4 Galvin and 5/4 Pipesmoker in a treble (16/1, which I thought was better the twice the true odds). Pipesmoker was as short as 4/9 (generally 4/7) when it was withdrawn (under 11/1 the treble by then).

The withdrawal casts doubt on whether I would have landed the treble but I'm happy enough to let the bet ride for a 13/2 double. I think both should be odds-on. They are 8lbs and 6lbs clear respectively on RPRs with the prospect of better to come.
    Last edited by Desert Orchid; 23rd October 2020 at 10:55 AM.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Agreed DO, also the extra places with Skybet on race 3 and 4 have to be exploited.

Thanks
    Yeah, Galvin is short for a reason. Bunged him in a double earlier in the week with Valia (Prix Royal Oak on Sunday)

Thanks
    Only doubt for me on Galvin is the trip. He’s looked a fairly strong stayed over 2m 4/5f, but it’s not a given he’ll stay the 3m, especially here. At the prices I'll take a chance on Mossy Fen

Thanks
    Galvin is reportedly being aimed at the NH Chase back here in March so will just be getting going up the hill. He tried to come from well off the pace against Imperial Aura at the festival and was a plot foiled. He's probably still about 10lbs better than his current rating with more improvement likely.
    Last edited by Desert Orchid; 23rd October 2020 at 10:57 AM.

Thanks
    Thansk DO and I read that, but at 6/4 can leave him alone

Thanks
    Thanked 1,553 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I’m rowing-in with Mossy Fen in the 3m novice chase, in receipt of 8lbs from the principals. The trainer may be a duffle-coat-wearing rear-end, but he knows how to get them ready for this meeting.
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    This is where I’m thick as pig muck.

How can Galvin be a novice when jumping fences last season? So because he didn’t win he’ll be a novice all this season as well?

Thanks
    They changed the rules recently so he remains a novice until November, I think. Another reason to believe they're out to exploit it today.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Double J View Post
    This is where I’m thick as pig muck.

How can Galvin be a novice when jumping fences last season? So because he didn’t win he’ll be a novice all this season as well?
    It’s always been the case that you retain novice status in your second season, if you fail to win in your first, hasn’t it?

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Orchid View Post
    They changed the rules recently so he remains a novice until November, I think. Another reason to believe they're out to exploit it today.
    Elliott is aiming him at the NH Chase, DO, which is restricted to novices. He’ll retain that status all season.

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
    Elliott is aiming him at the NH Chase, DO, which is restricted to novices. He’ll retain that status all season.
    Yeah it’s confusing me tbh.

Has a massive advantage over Mossy Fen already. What a stupid rule.

Hard to not bald Galvin for this, but I do really like Mossy Fen. Hopefully Twiston has his winner tomorrow in Cogry. I can’t get away from him.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
    Cheers, GH. Yes, I knew the NH Chase was the plan so can't understand why it didn't occur to me that he retained his novice status all season. I tried to take 12/1 ante-post this morning but had to settle for 10s.

Thanks
    Just caught up with today's replays.

I was never happy with how AFG was travelling. A wee bit fiddly at some of the hurdles and never seemed to be travelling with any strength in a race in which everything else needed to improve a lot to beat him. I'm sure an excuse will emerge but it served as an early reminder not to get too cocky about this game.

I got a text from the brother telling me Galvin was impressive and looked like a future National horse. Again, I was never that confident watching him but I should lay my cards on the table and confess I don't like Robbie Power as a jockey on my horses and thought he could have presented the horse a lot better at his fences. Once the pace picked up he started jumping much more cleanly but I was still not confident of victory until the leaders hit their wall going to the last. I thought he merely stayed on - not bad news for the ante-post bet for the NH Chase for which he's now 6/1 and 7/1 - and the one that ran in last throughout was roughly the same distance behind him at the line as at two out. I reckon Davy Russell will improve him 7lbs though with better jumping.

Still, looking forward to tomorrow.

Thanks
    Interesting you should say that about Power DO. I also have him ear marked next to NDB as a jockey I just can’t take to. Not sure about Russell having 7 pounds on him though. Think I just don’t like the fact the media are up his backside all the time.

Hoping for a good day from the Skeltons tomorrow. Not posting a right up why I’ve backed these but here’s a couple of my selections for tomorrow.

2.05 - Allmankind (2022 County Hurdle winner )
    2.40 - Not that Fuisse
    3.50 - Cogry (Still can’t believe Frodons price, worst fav ever)

Worth noting I’ve had an horrific day today. The way Twiston Davies horses were backed today and then not performing quite concerns me for Cogry. This is no doubt his Gold Cup though and Twister will have him fit.
    Last edited by Double J; 23rd October 2020 at 7:33 PM.

Thanks
    Interesting you should say that about Power DO. I also have him ear marked next to NDB as a jockey I just can’t take to. Not sure about Russell having 7 pounds on him though. Think I just don’t like the fact the media are up his backside all the time.
    I can't remember where and when my distrust of Power started but probably through watching him get nowhere near winning on horses that should have won or gone close, through indifferent jumping. Same kind of situation as Tricky Dicky, I reckon.

I'm a big fan of Nico, though, but maybe that's because he rides so many Hendo horses to victory.

I don't like Skelton's riding style but I do like that he rarely gives up the inside to anybody.

Thanks
    You'll do well to get a better run for your money than with Cogry at this meeting. Mr Dependable.

Missed the prices with Cobra de Mai, but he's one I can never get right. Happy to leave him alone now.

Will take a chance on Ballymalin in the other 3m handicap and the Hobbs horse in the bumper for no reason other than he has a good record here in such ef events and i never catch onto one.

Thanks
    Still can’t believe Frodons price, worst fav ever
    place lay