Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cheltenham - Non Festival Meets

Thanks
    From what Nicholls said this morning, and that he has top weight, Frodon has a lot to do today and they are not expecting him to do it. That being the thinking he, Frodon, will not doubt go and defy everything but Nicholls is expecting this to bring him on.
    I really, really hope this season they let him have a go at the Gold Cup.
    Vote Alfie!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,553 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Went well.
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    Thanked 3,482 Times in 2,742 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Orchid View Post
    2.05 - Anna Bunina works out top-rated because of all the allowances but she’s already come out and made her improvement this season and Tricky Dicky will always be a negative for me. Nordano and Allmankind are entitled to improve into their second season so I expect them and the Nicholls horse to dominate the race. On reflection, I've decided Nordano at 10/1 is far too big a price to ignore each-way even with just two places on offer rather than plump for something shorter.
    That went well...

Not.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by viking View Post
    The Pink’n improved for the faster better ground at Chepstow and might just be some each way value value in the 2.05 at 14/1. Shame there’s only 7 runners though
    Hope you stuck with it, viking.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Desert Orchid For This Useful Post:

viking (24th October 2020)

Thanks
    2.40 - It looks like Nicholls is trying to take full advantage of the new conditions pertaining to novice status as Southfield Stone would otherwise not be able to run in this so he has to be the obvious selection. Pileon would work out top-rated on ORs with her allowance and is entitled to improve for the switch to fences but, again, Johnson puts me off and I imagine they won’t ask her to be too extravagant on her debut but the potential danger is there. If she really takes to fences she could win and I’m curious that they’re taking in a race like this first time up when much easier opportunities could present themselves elsewhere. I'll probably back Southfield Stone if I end up with a freebie.
    No freebie so no bet but reassured that I got it largely right.

Thanks
    Yes but only £3.50. Ew in free bets. Might have been closer with a more enterprising ride

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    I've caved in and taken a saver on Frodon just in case he is fit enough to run his race.

Thanks
    That was a horror show for Pileon - as bad an introduction to fences as you could imagine without tipping.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,553 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm flabbergasted at the opposition to Frodon, to be honest. That's not to say he will win but to dismiss him so forcefully really surprises me.

This is a Grade 1 horse running in a handicap. He doesn't need to make the running in my opinion but his cruising speed might just be a gear too fast for this field no matter how good they are. The extra distance will suit, I reckon, and he should be in his comfort zone for a long way. I can see him doing a Rouge Vif to this field but there are improvers aplenty in opposition.

Speaking of Rouge Vif, I've just watched the race again. It was run like a festival race and he has just run away from them. Off 156 and according the the ITV people looking as though he needed the run, he must be a 170+ horse. He has to be a contender for whichever festival race he ends up in.
    Great shout, DO, and a great performance from the horse - straight as a die at every fence, and game as you like. I’ll call the bas*tard right one day!
    Last edited by Grasshopper; 24th October 2020 at 3:59 PM.
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Grasshopper For This Useful Post:

Desert Orchid (24th October 2020)

Thanks
    I'm flabbergasted at the opposition to Frodon, to be honest. That's not to say he will win but to dismiss him so forcefully really surprises me.

This is a Grade 1 horse running in a handicap. He doesn't need to make the running in my opinion but his cruising speed might just be a gear too fast for this field no matter how good they are. The extra distance will suit, I reckon, and he should be in his comfort zone for a long way. I can see him doing a Rouge Vif to this field but there are improvers aplenty in opposition.
    Not quite a Rouge Vif performance but simply fvcking brilliant to watch.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by G-G View Post
    From what Nicholls said this morning, and that he has top weight, Frodon has a lot to do today and they are not expecting him to do it. That being the thinking he, Frodon, will not doubt go and defy everything but Nicholls is expecting this to bring him on.
    I really, really hope this season they let him have a go at the Gold Cup.
    PFN puts us all away again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    What the hell do I know.

I can’t stand Bryony but that was impressive by the horse.

Thanks
    I love Bryony...that was absolutely awesome. What a horse......he HAS to go for the Gold Cup, how can be and she be denied?
    Shows that even a trainer as good as Nicholls can learn something new every day watching their horses.
    Vote Alfie!!!!

Thanks
    I said two years ago he was a Gold Cup contender (and backed him at 33/1 NRNB for it as well as 12/1 for the Ryanair) but Nicholls seemed to give up on the idea at the time and last year's campaign seemed to confirm that. He's young enough to still have a little bit of improvement in him but, again, last season suggested otherwise.

Would I back him for the Gold Cup now? No, but I wouldn't rule out a change of heart!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 925 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Double J View Post
    What the hell do I know.

I can’t stand Bryony but that was impressive by the horse.
    Shame about that . When I watch all those jockeys’ heads bobbing about and then see Byony’s stock still I think she adds an awful lot to a horse’s balance and rhythm just because she herself can sit so quiet and balanced. You never know, you might grow to like her if she keeps booting them home!

PS: The horse dun great, too.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 620 Posts
    Bryony is an asset to any horse imo. And a truly delightful person.

Had a proper blonde 48 hours. First didn’t realise Cheltenham was on ITV yesterday so completely missed it and had really wanted to see Fusil Raffles. Then today, I set TV to record as I was Pointing, come home and realised I set it to record Opening Show. Damn and blast it!
    tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jinnyj View Post
    Bryony is an asset to any horse imo. And a truly delightful person.
    You probably know [about] her more than us, jinnyj, but I think she's brilliant for promoting the sport.

She comes across on TV as totally honest and enthusiastic. If it's an act it's a brilliant one. If it's genuine it's compelling viewing.

I just felt the interviewers failed to ask one very important question. Did the horse feel like an improved animal this season?

Thanks
    Not quite a Rouge Vif performance but simply fvcking brilliant to watch.

Laid him IR at 3.5 and for 2 places at 6/4 so I beg to differ, it was far from brilliant in my front room.

I guess he's a grade 1 horse, I think I still have emnity for the thing as a holdover from the Ryanair.

Then again, I was hoping some of the opposition would turn up. Fvcking Cloth Cap. God I hate that stable. My bad.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Euronymous View Post
    I beg to differ, it was far from brilliant in my front room.
    Leaving aside the financial pain, Euro, wouldn't you concede that it was just brilliant to watch him take a length out of just about everything at each and every fence? Surely that's what NH racing is all about?

My bet on him was peanuts compared to when I'm able to read the form and get stuck right into something with confidence but after just a few fences I was taken by how he was travelling and jumping. I would have won far more on Sensulano given the price I got but forgot all about her early in the race and just kept focusing on an exhibition performance.

Thanks
    Oh yeah, when I re-watch the whole meeting again at some point next week I'm sure I'll enjoy his jumping then.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Euronymous For This Useful Post:

Desert Orchid (24th October 2020)