Thread: John Oxx

Thanks

John Oxx

One of a handful of trainers that I cant remember when they started out. Retiring at the end of the season. One of the very very best - maybe the pound for pound champion.

Thanks
    Top trainer, one of the best I have seen, he should not have been the greatest PR because he didnt have the ammunition acording to his level.
    Sinndar and Sea The Stars were top class horses

Thanks
    It is sad news.

What a great heyday he had. It didn't come overnight; even though he took over from his father who had been a classic winning trainer. He brought the stable to a new level but he had to build towards it. With Michael Stoute and Luca Cumani training for the Aga Khan as well as at least two trainers in France, John Oxx would not have been getting first pick of the crop, or anything near it. He had to work his way into getting his hands on some of the Aga's better horses.

But when his chances came he took them. He always worked with best jockeys around. Pat Eddery and Cash Asmussen rode many winners for him when they weren't needed for the Ballydoyle horses. There was Johnny Murtagh and Mick Kinane and for a while Fran Berry too. With their input his handling of Ridgewood Pearl, Sinndar and above all Sea The Stars could not have been bettered.

Sadly it has been all downhill since the glory of Sea The Stars. It seemed a very harsh and disloyal act when the Aga Khan horses were removed from him, and later the Tsui horses too, but for whatever reason the stable has been unable to recover from the blow. His way of working was developed around working with quality, and I guess trying to knock out winners in low grade handicaps and nurseries was not going to be for him.
    Last edited by Grey; 13th October 2020 at 1:55 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Grey For This Useful Post:

an capall (15th October 2020)

Thanks
    Going to be honest, thought he had retired a few years ago. The merger with Prendergast didn't seem to work too well

Sent from my SM-J415FN using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,348 Times in 804 Posts
    Blog Entries
    His stable head lad of years retired about ten years ago and was the glue that kept the stable together it seems.
    John was always thoughtful, always honest.
    I remember years ago at a seminar a question was posed about jockeys' merits and abilities.
    Most of the panel gave vague answers but John explained how Pat Eddery changed his opinion on jockeys forever; their strike rate together the first year was in excess of 40% thogh Pat never rode work for him.
    He then .as Grey said retained Cash, brought Ron Quinton from Australia and gave Johnny Murtagh every assistance through his wild period.
    For that alone he deserves great praise and appreciation as Johnny would have been lost to racing had any other trainer retained him.
    Losing the Aga Khan and the Tsui family did not help either in recent years.
    Wishing him all the best whatever he does.
    Last edited by edgt; 15th October 2020 at 10:54 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to edgt For This Useful Post:

littlelad (16th October 2020)

Thanks
    Sea the Stars was my last flat love affair. Travelled over to Leopardstown for his Irish Champion win and and a print of his Arc success is sitting just above my head as I type this… Beautifully handled by his trainer who always came across as a proper gent and will always be one of my fondest memories. Best of luck John