Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12f championship races

Thanks

12f championship races

Arc completely underwhelming me this year. Once upon a time, Love and Ghayyaith (and Magical even) would have taken their chance, because, it was the Arc after all, and there is only one Arc, regardless of ground. Interesting and all that they are, it is dependent on left-field contenders for any interest, rather than any sort of clash of champions.

I'm deciding to call time on the 12f division in general. Coronation Cup pointless, King George all but dead, and this Arc is the most underwhelming since the 12 runner affair (4 japanese raiders) last year. Don't get me started on the Derby(ies).

It seems the media are hell bent on saying otherwise. But not all connections are that bothered, and I think that the division have as much relevance as the Cup races in a decade - the esteem they were once held in will be looked upon as an oddity in future generations.

Anyway, things change I suppose.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,496 Times in 2,753 Posts
    I totally get where you're coming from HW.

During the week [elsewhere] I referred to today's Sun Chariot as a "glorified handicap". Listening to the TV people you'd think it was one of the races of the season.

I'm a retired teacher. At the last inspection of the school before I retired (nearly 10 years ago now) the inspectors interviewed some of my best pupils with whom I got on really well. They worked very hard for me and I for them.

They were asked how often I praised them. They told me they didn't know what to say but apparently one piped up, "Mr O'Neill is strict but very fair. When he does praise you you know it means something."

I find myself approaching racing similarly.

If I think a G1 is substandard I will argue accordingly. This year's 3yos are generally substandard. Kameko won a poor Guineas but has subsequently improved and isn't far off true true G1 status [on my figures], ie 126 for colts and 123 for fillies.

I think Serpentine was a good winner of a poor Derby, likewise Love in the Oaks.

However, I've always had a high opinion of Enable and am not surprised she is bidding for history tomorrow. I suspect the ground might beat her rather than the opposition.

I have big figures for Ghaiyyath and Magical too, while Strad is a G1 stayer.

But I do wish the TV people would spare us the inane hyperbole showered on ordinary animals just because a race has G1 status.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    The Group system has corrupted racing. It's too easy to earn a rosette.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleanora Duse View Post
    The Group system has corrupted racing. It's too easy to earn a rosette.
    Correct

The sport of Boxing has gone the same way

Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 883 Posts
    Love is a speed horse, but the Arc isn't a speed test, and she wouldn't have fared well - whatever the ground. Ghaiyaath had his limitations exposed recently, and was . likewise, always an unlikely contender, even before his denoument.
    The absence of neither detracts from what remains Europe's premier middle distance test, and it's still attracted its usual host of top class horses, so it's hard to see any. justification for throwing the baby out with the bathwater. as it were

Thanks
    Proving the point. If Love and Ghayyaith are no loss to the race, as you suggest, it shows the dearth that is over 12f. Ghayyaith has beaten the favourite and second favourite this year and even he was an unlikely Arc contender. Now that Mogul isn't running, none of the arc trial winners are turning up.

Thanks
    Tarnawa, one of the trial winners you refer to, didn't turn up in the Arc because connections doubted she'd be good enough to justify paying the 70k needed to be supplemented.

Mogul and the other declared O'Brien runners didn't turn up for reasons that had nothing to do with the prestige of the race. In fact Coolmore has done more to maintain the prestige of the Derby than any other operation in recent times. It is the race they aspire to win above all others, and they still regard 12f as the blue riband distance.

Personally I think the Arc is the greatest flat race anywhere. It brings together the generations and the sexes, as well as stayers like Stradivarius and milers like Persian King trying to show they can succeed on the most prestigious stage of all. There are alternative targets for the likes of Ghaiyyath and Love but they would have been running yesterday if there was a chance of them winning.

Thanks
    Agree Coolmore has done plenty for the Derby; invariably run their best colt in it (though it doesn't always perform). It's their stated aim to support the gp1's - on both sides of the Irish Sea. Maybe cynical to suppose so, but it doesn't do their business much harm, either.
    Also agree the Arc is the best race in the world, but there's always some who'll decry any race.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Tarnawa, one of the trial winners you refer to, didn't turn up in the Arc because connections doubted she'd be good enough to justify paying the 70k needed to be supplemented.

Mogul and the other declared O'Brien runners didn't turn up for reasons that had nothing to do with the prestige of the race. In fact Coolmore has done more to maintain the prestige of the Derby than any other operation in recent times. It is the race they aspire to win above all others, and they still regard 12f as the blue riband distance.

Personally I think the Arc is the greatest flat race anywhere. It brings together the generations and the sexes, as well as stayers like Stradivarius and milers like Persian King trying to show they can succeed on the most prestigious stage of all. There are alternative targets for the likes of Ghaiyyath and Love but they would have been running yesterday if there was a chance of them winning.
    Yes. The Arc is the greatest - in the sense that it is the most elite - flat race anywhere and yesterday's was probably the best 12f flat race of the season, possibly even the best Flat race at any distance of the season, but it wasn't anywhere near as good as it could have been in different circumstances.

Thanks

I agree that the Arc was the greatest flat race anywhere (and the King George WAS the centrepiece of mid summer for the same reason you state (battle of sexes, generations, stayers, 10f horses, previous years leger winners etc). It's why I started this thread.

There was a time where the supplementary fee wouldn't have stopped Tarnawa from running (and possibly winning) - as it WAS the Arc.

Old enough to remember Ardross, Westerner and Oscar Schindler running well in Arcs, cant remember a miler going for it, although Persian King did finish second in the French Derby. To me this year, they were taking advantage of a particularly poorly contested 12f crop.

The Derby has been on Coolmore's life support for the past decade. Would bet right now, that the Ryan Moore ridden, APO'Brien trained horse will start no worse than third favourite next year, regardless of form.
    Last edited by HawkWing; 5th October 2020 at 2:39 PM.

Thanks
    It's a case of the glass being half empty or half full.

Apart from the horses that couldn't run because of the feed problem, there was no horse that could have won the Arc that was not in it. Tarnawa didn't run because connections doubted she was good enough, Love and Ghaiyyath because the conditions on the day would not have allowed them to perform to their best. These horses have decent alternatives, more so than used to be the case, but isn't that a good thing? We don't need a race where half the field are merely going through the motions, or running in it as an afterthought.

Thanks
    Apart from the horses that couldn't run because of the feed problem, there was no horse that could have won the Arc that was not in it. .
    Probably true but there's nothing wrong with calling it substandard if that's what it is. Sottsarse has never hit RPR 126 (the mark of a G1 horse) in his life, even yesterday. 'Proper' Arc horses would hit 130 sleepwalking.

Thanks
    It's a case of the glass being half empty or half full.

Apart from the horses that couldn't run because of the feed problem, there was no horse that could have won the Arc that was not in it. Tarnawa didn't run because connections doubted she was good enough, Love and Ghaiyyath because the conditions on the day would not have allowed them to perform to their best. These horses have decent alternatives, more so than used to be the case, but isn't that a good thing? We don't need a race where half the field are merely going through the motions, or running in it as an afterthought.
    Kinda can't have it both ways. Had Persian King and Stradivarius missed the race, it wouldnt have caused a moment of criticism. They were unlikely arc contenders. If only horses who are deemed to have a chance can run, we would be down to a half dozen runner field each year. Connections of Tarnawa look like they were incorrect. Anthony van dyck missed the race. Ghayyaith chose to go elsewhere. Magical could have run. Galileo Chrome would have been interesting. All would have added to the race and gone with some form of chance. (Forgetting about the O'Brien horses that were withdrawn).

Can remember when Godolphin ran Daylami even when they knew he was unsuited, same went for St. Jovite in his year. The Arc has become a race that you can afford to miss.

Thanks
    See the knockers are having their fix again!
    Outstanding horses only come along occasionally, as do outstanding races; regardless, the Arc remains the premier test, and richly deserves to.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to reet hard For This Useful Post:

simmo (5th October 2020)

Thanks
    Not an argument. Good set of clichés though.

Montjeu and sea the stars the only stallion winners of the race worth mentioning?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to HawkWing For This Useful Post:

prince regent (5th October 2020)

Thanks
    The 12f division is like Tennis. I like that sport but the domination of Federer/Nadal and Djoko is yawsville. I watched the last named in his match today and it was so predictable. Both players held serve until Nokak decided to break in the 8th game of set 1 and then it was over.
    Galileo is the same for middle distance racing. When his final crop retires the division may become interesting again

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Orchid View Post
    Probably true but there's nothing wrong with calling it substandard if that's what it is. Sottsarse has never hit RPR 126 (the mark of a G1 horse) in his life, even yesterday. 'Proper' Arc horses would hit 130 sleepwalking.
    We can all agree that this was not a vintage Arc in terms of ratings, but the best middle distance horses in Europe were there to contest it and we can't demand more than that.

By the way, regarding the importance of the race for breeding, the mare Urban Sea who won this race as an outsider on bottomless ground, has had a bigger impact than many a decent sire.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Euronymous View Post
    Galileo is the same for middle distance racing. When his final crop retires the division may become interesting again
    Galileo has been brilliant for the breed. Strong stamina and willingness to fight.

I wouldn't go as far as to say he's raised the bar but he's produced plenty of middle-distance stayers who have increased competitiveness in the divisions. Without the likes of him we'd be seeing more emphasis on 8-10f horses and heading towards USA/Australia speedier types. 20 years down the line we'd be lamenting the decline of the breed and we'd be seeing mediocrity being the overwhelming trait of the average Derby winner and the Ascot Gold Cup would be won by hurdlers.

Thanks
    It seems to me that the OP is arguing that because of the absence of 3 horses - Love, Ghaiyyath and Magical - that this in some way indicates that the Arc has become an unimportant race in the calendar.

In my opinion this is, frankly, bollocks. Love was missing because of the ground, presumably with the thought that there is always next year. Ghaiyyath was missing because the likelihood that his race would be spoiled by coolmore runners was high and perhaps he's better over 10 - no shame there. Who knows why magical was missing, but connections 5 other entries, including a 72k supplement, strongly suggest that it wasn't because they believe the race to be an irrelevance in today's racing calendar.
    Last edited by simmo; 6th October 2020 at 12:20 AM.

Thanks
    We can all agree that this was not a vintage Arc in terms of ratings
    Agreed.

but the best middle distance horses in Europe were there to contest it and we can't demand more than that.
    They weren't. The Coolmores could have been there and made more of a race of it. Ghaiyyath, the best middle-distance horse in the world, wasn't there. Logician wasn't there and he's better than Sottsass [in my book].

Obviously two of the best in Europe - on ratings - were there: Enable and Stradivarius but neither could go in the ground.

We got a jog-and-sprint school sports day event won by the horse with the best combination of tactics and ability to act in the conditions. Would anybody seriously argue that Yahoo was only 1lb inferior to Desert Orchid?