Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gamble - Dreal deal

Thanks

Gamble - Dreal deal

In terms of landing a gamble, the 1.45 at navan today takes a bit of topping. 20 lbs ahead of his mark?

https://www.irishracing.com/news?hea...le&prid=211816

Thanks
    Here is the stewards' report following yesterday's race. I had a laugh at the final sentence in the second paragraph. It has been a highly successful gamble but they've overdone it and the authorities don't like being made fun of.

"The Stewards enquired into the apparent improvement in form of Dreal Deal, trained by Ronan M.P. McNally, placed first compared with its past form. Andrew Shaw, IHRB Senior NH Handicapper gave a general summary on this animals poor form during it's racing career and summarised today's performance as being an improvement in excess of 2 stone. In his opinion based on past form he was surprised with the confidence behind todays run. He advised the Stewards that the recent runs under the Rules of Racing were outside his remit. Ronan M.P. McNally, trainer, stated that his yard had been under a cloud since November 2019 and aspergillus had been the diagnosed problem to explain the illness of all his horses. He felt that this condition accounted for their abysmal performances. Following the poor performance by his charge The Jam Man at the Cheltenham Festival in March he turned all his horses out and they lived in the paddocks without being ridden out. He recalled that the reopening of the racing following the lockdown was the time at which he brought his horses back in and started to train them again. Under questioning as to why Dreal Deal ran on the 17th June at Gowran Park in a nine furlong flat race when it appeared from evidence that the animal had only returned to racing following a three to four month layoff, the trainer stated that he was about 80% fit on that occasion. Under further questioning about running this animal under the Rules of Racing, the trainer stated that this was done to sharpen him up. He explained that this animal had been purchased privately having been previously trained as a Point to Pointer having shown good racing form

He felt in hindsight that the animal should have been laid off and allowed to mature following a tough training regime. He was satisfied that his patience with this animal brought him back to good health. He contributed today's improved run to the fact that his horses are now working well with all training done at home or locally. He was unable to account for the strong market support for his charge today and felt that it may have been local support

Evidence was also heard from Mr E.P. O'Brien, todays rider, who had also previously ridden this animal both in his Point to Points when handled by Paul O'Flynn and on three occasions when trained by Mr McNally. He stated that this was a nice young horse when racing in Point to Points but disappointed thereafter. He did not pinpoint any specific reason for the poor performance on the previous occasions that he had ridden him. Having considered the evidence the Stewards referred the matter to the Referrals Committee".

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Grey For This Useful Post:

Bachelors Hall (20th September 2020), barjon (20th September 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,128 Times in 2,052 Posts
    Said horse The Jam Man ran as recently as last week at Limerick, finishing second, and was also the subject of a stewards enquiry

"Dwelt slightly start and pushed along briefly after start, soon settled in rear of midfield, pushed along into straight and headway near side under 2f out, hung slightly over 1f out, ridden into 2nd inside final furlong and kept on well, not reach winner (trainer said regarding apparent improvement in form that his charge had been very sick following the Cheltenham March festival where he burst badly in running. He added that he had been a most disappointing and frustrating horse that had previously shown plenty of ability. He advised the Stewards the gelding had suffered from an aspergillus infection. He informed the Stewards that he had secured a powder remedy in Cork about three weeks ago and was satisfied that the animal could race while being treated. He outlined the recent training of the gelding and was satisfied that he had shown improvement in recent weeks and had scoped spotless in recent days) (op 17/2 tchd 20/1)"
    "The owls are not what they seem"

Thanks
    The Jam Man and Dreal Deal both out today in winnable races. Dreal deal back on the flat. I'd expect market movement.

Thanks
    Double landed

Thanks
    Tough one that for the Solo Saxophone backers.
    All comers, all grounds, all beaten!

This perfect mix of poetry and destruction.

Thanks
    Jaysus

Thanks
    The market knew

Cool as you like O'Regan.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 738 Posts
    More to come..

Locals mustn't have been able to gamble today
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Suggested he had 20lbs ahead when he landed the gamble - i was keeping a lid on it really - but he was literally over 4 stone well in.
    Last edited by HawkWing; 17th January 2021 at 2:35 PM.

Thanks
    Fair doos to Segal as he stuck him up.

Thanks
    It's hard to know what to make of that race. The Mullins third string went off like a scolded cat. The three market principles then went at it from a long way out to real her in. Dreal Deal sitting coolly at the back and pouncing as the pace collapsed after the last.

My first instinct is none of them are up to G1 novice class given Echoes In Rain was only beaten 6 lengths in the end after going out so hard, and all of them finished within 10 lengths first to last. I also felt the second Ganapathi, and paticularly the third Power Of Pause would benefit for a step up in trip.

Dreal Deal is now a conundrum. That could be as good as he is, having won a race getting the best ride, or he may have more to come that we haven't yet seen. I don't know what to make of him to be honest. I do know that the 2m novice division isn't great this season, and it would be refreshing to see an unfashionable stable have a genuine contender. I reckon the last time we had that was Oran's Brace Inca.

Thanks
    That's probably the fastest run 2m race in Punchestown of all time...

Thanks
    Not a vintage year of novices.

Dreal Deal, they may keep aiming high now.
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Does he have a shot in Supreme? Im after timing here, but took a spectacle 125/1 on him winning today and the Supreme.

I feel sick taking that with him drifting to 22/1

Thanks
    Entries in both

Thanks
    Thanked 3,499 Times in 2,755 Posts
    I wouldn't mind seeing sectionals for today's race.

I only watched the final five furlongs or so but it looked to me like there was a pace collapse in front of him.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Orchid View Post
    I wouldn't mind seeing sectionals for today's race.

I only watched the final five furlongs or so but it looked to me like there was a pace collapse in front of him.
    100%

Money Tricks chased the early pace. He's interesting next time.

Thanks
    Think O'Regan was nursing him home and suddenly they all came back to him.

Thanks
    Very good ride by O'Regan.