Page 32 of 35 FirstFirst ... 22272829303132333435 LastLast

Thread: The Road To The 2021 Cheltenham Gold Cup

Thanks
    He's not capable of front running against this field and I can't decide if he or Verdana Blue for the Mares are the worst 14/1 shots in history. I'd make them both 33s.

Thanks
    You know you love him really, Euro.

Hopefully you didn't lay him in any of the 4 G1 chase victories - more than any other runner in the field.
    The older I get the better I was.

Thanks
    Not a place in 4 runs at HQ though Archie, are you surprised he's coming here?
    What would you have done?
    Looking at his form, no doubt he's smart but generally likes to dominate in smallish fields, which is unlikely here don't you think?
    After his last win , Stayers Hurdle and Ryanair were largely touted?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by archie View Post
    You know you love him really, Euro.

Hopefully you didn't lay him in any of the 4 G1 chase victories - more than any other runner in the field.
    He's a grand horse, I just don't think he enjoys the Cheltenham experience.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Euronymous For This Useful Post:

archie (27th February 2021)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tiggers1972 View Post
    Not a place in 4 runs at HQ though Archie, are you surprised he's coming here?
    What would you have done?
    Looking at his form, no doubt he's smart but generally likes to dominate in smallish fields, which is unlikely here don't you think?
    After his last win , Stayers Hurdle and Ryanair were largely touted?
    He was 4th in the JLT which got him in the winners enclosure, Cheltenham's definition of a place.

In terms of the 4 runs,
    - 5th in the Neptune was respectable and he seems to be a better horse over fences.
    - 4th in the JLT was his third run over fences and, again, respectable with only one jumping error.
    - the first Gold Cup was a farce as he was badly impeded by Presenting Percy.
    - the second Gold Cup was disappointing but the culmination of a far from ideal preparation.
    All in all, it's possible that the configuration and fence placement of the New Course makes it more difficult for him to get his rhythm but I don't think he's had a fair crack of the whip yet.

In terms of his running style, he certainly likes to go forward but I don't think he has to lead. He didn't in the Punchestown handicap and he was happy to let Definitly Red share the work in the Punchestown Gold Cup. I just want them to let him do his thing and that includes the jumping so give him a good sight of the fences.

I was quite surprised that Willie made his mind up so early but was always happy to leave the decision to him. Ruby seems to think it's the right move so we'll see what happens. As long as Willie doesn't do a Vautour on us!
    The older I get the better I was.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to archie For This Useful Post:

HawkWing (4th March 2021), Maxbet (27th February 2021), tiggers1972 (27th February 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,128 Times in 2,052 Posts
    Jack Kennedy is set to ride Minella Indo in the Gold Cup while Rachael Blackmore will partner A Plus Tard.
    "The owls are not what they seem"

Thanks
    Just what racing needs after the Elliott scandal;

"Female jockey wins Gold Cup" headline
    Last edited by wilsonl; 4th March 2021 at 6:03 PM.
    Alcohol, because no good story ever started with "I was eating this salad..."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 735 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maruco View Post
    It's not just you Moe. The problem with Al Boum Photo is we just don't see him running through the heart of the season. It makes latch on to other horses and want them to beat him.

The trouble is I don't think anything will, and he'll be a three time winner without people scrambling to put his picture up in the study.
    I did hear one take (some podcast or other) that it was his name that put people off.

Basically it's his kid glove campaigning

After his hijinks at Punchestown years ago, he should of been all rock and roll but alas he is just a bit vanilla
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by granger View Post
    I did hear one take (some podcast or other) that it was his name that put people off.

Basically it's his kid glove campaigning

After his hijinks at Punchestown years ago, he should of been all rock and roll but alas he is just a bit vanilla
    Two time gold cup winner, in the way he has won, and who he has beat, doesn't make him a champion racehorse. Would he be in the top ten of Willie's all time? He was beaten by Kemboy - not even favourite - after his first Gold Cup. Its pretty hard to argue that he is the best staying chaser around in any of the last two years.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Geezer View Post
    Jack Kennedy is set to ride Minella Indo in the Gold Cup while Rachael Blackmore will partner A Plus Tard.
    A good thing for Minella but as she had the choice, Henry's team must fancy APT
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    I don’t want him to win because if trainers start thinking along the lines of “to win 3 Gold Cups you need to give them one easy race beforehand” where will be?

First Best Mate and then ABP would set a bad precedent and the complete opposite of a Kauto Star (for example) who everyone loved and possibly could have won 3 if he’d led the same sheltered life.

People want to see racehorses race and without that nobody cares.

Similar to a golfer winning a major one year then fukcing off for 12 months until the next year and using their previous winner qualifier to get in year on year. They’d have few fans wanting them to win.
    Alcohol, because no good story ever started with "I was eating this salad..."

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HawkWing View Post
    Its pretty hard to argue that he is the best staying chaser around in any of the last two years.
    You must admit to some blinkers

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by granger View Post
    You must admit to some blinkers
    ??

Thanks
    Two time gold cup winner, in the way he has won, and who he has beat, doesn't make him a champion racehorse. Would he be in the top ten of Willie's all time? He was beaten by Kemboy - not even favourite - after his first Gold Cup. Its pretty hard to argue that he is the best staying chaser around in any of the last two years.
    i think him winning gold cups in both seasons makes it not that hard to argue. no harder than the counter argument at least. not like there's a top racehorse in the division outside of him who, for some reason, didn't win at cheltenham.

Thanks
    Yeah. He won the Gold Cups and delighted for Willie. Its not his fault that others didnt perform/didnt show up/didnt progress as he did. It feels like a weakish generation as a result and its not as if he is dominating them. I hope he wins for his fans.

Thanks
    Santini performed last year. Nico fucked it up after the last.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Euronymous View Post
    Santini performed last year. Nico fucked it up after the last.
    More lack of pace was the difference.
    All comers, all grounds, all beaten!

This perfect mix of poetry and destruction.

Thanks
    Its pretty hard to argue that he is the best staying chaser around in any of the last two years.
    If not him then who? I think it would be pretty hard to argue against it.

Thanks
    Clan des Obeax/Kemboy

Thanks
    Thanked 1,108 Times in 979 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Frodon