James Du Berlais

Straight into a champ hurdle, they must think something of him
    Or the owners are clowns.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 738 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post
    For a horse going chasing, yep
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Thanked 3,499 Times in 2,755 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post
    Munir and Suede clowns??

I should Coco...
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Orchid View Post
    Munir and Suede clowns??

I should Coco...
    Munir uses Daryl Jacob. That says it all.
    Last edited by Slim; 23rd February 2021 at 8:35 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Slim For This Useful Post:

tiggers1972 (23rd February 2021)

Thanks
    It’s a no lose gamble isn’t it. If you can afford the entry fee.

The plan is to go chasing but he’s a horse with bundles of hurdling experience and a rating of 167 so why not give it a crack in an open year first.
    Alcohol, because no good story ever started with "I was eating this salad..."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,563 Times in 1,118 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I doubt JdB will run, if the long-range forecast is anything to go by.
    "Beat the price and lose. It's what we do".

SlimChance, March 2018

Thanks
    I'm pleased they're at least still talking about going for the race for the sake of the 50/1 punt I took back in January.

The Firm have history. They laid out Concertista for a debut win a couple of seasons back and were foiled by a bout of minor interference approaching the last.

Thanks
    While the owners may be delusional, it is not like Willie to run one that he thinks is a million and will be a chaser next year.

Remember he didn't run un des Sceaux in the champion when he could have

Sent from my SM-J415FN using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by littlelad View Post
    While the owners may be delusional, it is not like Willie to run one that he thinks is a million and will be a chaser next year.

Remember he didn't run Un Des Sceaux in the champion when he could have.
    When he made the decision not to run Un Des Sceaux, he held all the aces with his other contenders, Hurricane, Faugheen, Annie etc...Right now his best hope is the straws he is clutching!

Thanks
    Well he has a line to all the top form with Sharjah.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxbet View Post
    When he made the decision not to run Un Des Sceaux, he held all the aces with his other contenders, Hurricane, Faugheen, Annie etc...Right now his best hope is the straws he is clutching!
    Good point

Sent from my SM-J415FN using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 4,128 Times in 2,052 Posts
    Just for interest, Met Office long range forecast

UK long range weather forecast

Sat 27 Feb - Mon 8th March
    During the last few days of February and the first week of March, many areas of the UK are likely to see more settled conditions. Dry conditions with clear or sunny periods are likely, especially in the south of the UK. Any unsettled weather with corresponding showers or rain are most likely to occur in the north and northwest of the UK. Strong winds may also affect northern and northwestern areas at times, but elsewhere winds will likely be light and, as a result, fog formation overnight may become more prevalent. Temperatures for this period will likely be average or slightly above average for the time of year, although some cold nights with frosts are still possible.
    Updated:
    The UK will probably see a continuation of settled conditions during the beginning of March with predominantly dry weather likely across most areas. Later in the month a more mobile pattern may begin to develop with an increasing likelihood of Atlantic weather systems moving across the UK, bringing wetter conditions. The most unsettled conditions will likely be seen further north. Strong winds may also develop at times, particularly in the northwest, with winds likely lighter overall in the southeast. Temperatures will probably be near normal or slightly above average for the time of year.

Updated:

"The owls are not what they seem"

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Diamond Geezer For This Useful Post:

Grey (23rd February 2021), wilsonl (23rd February 2021)

Thanks
    "Taps !"

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Interesting that GE's plans for Zanahiyr haven't attracted more comment. Makes a lot of sense, TBH.

Zanahiyr

"
    We're lucky to already have a very good horse in this division, Quilixios, who impressed greatly at Leopardstown when he won easily even when they crawled. That shows he’s a very good horse – I’d say he’s a very smart horse. He’s definitely more than just a juvenile hurdler. I’d be looking forward to him for the future as well as this season, which isn’t always the way with these juveniles. For that reason my plan is to supplement Zanahiyr for the Surpeme as that would give us a chance of mopping up that one too"
    Last edited by an capall; 23rd February 2021 at 6:00 PM.
    "And still they gazed and still the wonder grew. That one small head could carry all he knew.

And that small head knew that Impaire Et Passe would win the Champion Hurdle."

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails stirring.jpg  

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Desert Orchid For This Useful Post:

Outsider (23rd February 2021), Slim (23rd February 2021)

Thanks
    RP Cheltenham Stable Tour - Dan Skelton

In many ways their flagship horse at this year’s Cheltenham Festival encapsulates perfectly the attitude and approach brothers Dan and Harry Skelton take to racing.

Allmankind, the freewheeling five-year-old switched to fences after one less than satisfactory run over hurdles this season and unbeaten in three chase starts since, heads for what looks to be the clash of the week with Shishkin and Energumene – and the Skeltons cannot wait for it.

Dan Skelton has sent out four winners at the Cheltenham Festival to date, with three coming in the Vincent O’Brien County Hurdle, and the thoughtfulness and boldness employed by the yard offers optimism for further success.

While their past record makes their handicappers worth more than a second look, Nube Negra and Roksana hold strong prospects in the Champion Chase and Mares’ Hurdle respectively with some useful novices also joining the team this year.

Allmankind
    Sporting Life Arkle

I was happy with the performance in the Kingmaker at Warwick and I think being so authoritative that day gives him a good figure. The ground was very holding and he couldn’t get into the rhythm he normally does on better ground. I know his jumping can be better than it was at Warwick, but I think I’ve explained why and it’s not like anyone was concerned about his jumping first time or second time. Cheltenham doesn’t hold any fears for me in terms of the track. We’re well aware of the quality of race that he’s going to be contesting, but all we can do is get on with it and focus on ourselves and getting the best out of our horse.

Tactically we know how best to ride him and the opposition all know how they want to ride theirs, but they’re going to be experienced jockeys and aren’t going to be getting in a fight up front. Our horse is a lot more rideable than he was a year ago and I think you can see that in how Harry has been riding him. I don’t think there’s going to be a clash of heads from the off but then I also don’t think this is an ordinary Arkle – our horse is undefeated over fences, including winning a Grade 1 and a Grade 2, and we’re third favourite. We’re quite happy for the chat to be about the others and we’re just looking forward to him getting there and having a race. The owners, myself and Harry love to have them out there competing and we hope the race lives up to expectations.

Alnadam
    Ultima Handicap Chase

He won well at Sandown last time and will need soft ground for his participation, but he’s a progressive horse and I don’t see the trip being any issue.

Cabot Cliffs
    Boodles Juvenile Handicap Hurdle

I think he’ll get into the race off his rating. He’s a very tough horse and has won under a penalty. He won’t mind the argy-bargy of the race but I don’t know how much he might have in hand or otherwise.

Cadzand
    Vincent O'Brien County Hurdle

He was a bit disappointing in the Betfair Hurdle at the weekend. He got to them three out going nicely and didn't find the extra gear he did at Kempton. We'll give him an entry and see where we are closer to the time.

Elle Est Belle
    Weatherbys Champion Bumper

I've trained her specifically for this race and mares have a good record in it getting 7lb. She’s a very talented horse and precocious. She travels very strongly, sees the trip out well and we have no concerns about the track either. I’m really looking forward to it and I think she’ll run very well. What Kilcruit did looked unusual to me, to be able to do that in that race leaves you staring with an open mouth and it really was an incredible run, but we can’t wait to give it a go.

Nube Negra
    Betway Queen Mother Champion Chase

He’s a very strong-travelling and slick-jumping horse and if he can get into a rhythm like he did at Kempton then he’s got a lot of pace to use. If we can conserve his energy the whole way around, and try to keep a bit up our sleeves as best we can, then that will help us too. Sometimes around Cheltenham, you’ve got to be using something somewhere to maintain your position, but this horse can travel very well and hopefully not have to do that. I’ve got a lot of respect for the other horses and they’ve been in these races a lot more than Nube Negra has, but I just have so much belief in my horse, and so does Harry. I’ve never had any fears about running him at Cheltenham and he’s always got up the hill just fine, but he’s a different horse now to the one who last ran at the course. Any drying ground helps him a lot too.

Roksana
    Close Brothers Mares’ Hurdle

We’re going to aim for the Mares’ Hurdle unless come declaration time the ground is good, good to soft in which case she’ll go three miles in the Stayers’ Hurdle. If it’s normal first-day conditions she’ll be in the mares’ race. It was a great performance at Ascot in the Warfield Hurdle and she’s a bigger, stronger mare this season. She’s more rideable too and we’ve worked out exactly how to ride her. The way we manage her at home is slightly different to most horses and we’ve just got to know her, which is what you do over time. The form she’s been in this year means that no one frightens us, in Britain anyway. The Irish raiders are going to be an unknown in the mares’ race and that’s where the strength lies, but we’re happy and we’re looking forward to it.

Shan Blue
    Marsh Novices’ Chase

He came out of the Scilly Isles at Sandown in good shape, albeit he was tired for a day or two having had such a race. I have no complaints about it and no negatives from the day either. He jumped very well, travelled very well and just got outstayed by a horse [Sporting John] who has a lot of ability and always had the capability to do that. He handles all ground but on slightly better ground he can get away from fences a bit quicker as he’s so fast through the air, it’s his real asset. That is negated on heavy ground because he doesn’t land and get away from his fences in a flash – his jumping is twice the asset on better ground than it is on slower ground. However, he is taking on everyone’s idea of a good thing in Envoi Allen.

Third Time Lucki
    Sky Bet Supreme Novices’ Hurdle

You have to forgive him his finishing position at Musselburgh and I don’t think it was a particularly bad run. It was a slowly run race which didn’t suit us and he made a mistake that cost him a couple of places. He’ll also get an entry in the County Hurdle as I’d quite like to see what weight he might get for the race.

Other runners

We have Amoola Gold, Marracudja and Not That Fuisse in the Grand Annual and I think they are real players. Marracudja ran nicely in his last race and was bang there at Cheltenham last year off a much higher mark. He’s on a much more realistic mark this time and I think he’ll outrun his price. Amoola Gold has been very progressive this year and his form with Sky Pirate and First Flow is very good. Not That Fuisse would like some dry ground and if we got that he’d be a real contender as he’s been waiting for those conditions. We gave him a wind op and he won a jumpers’ bumper easily as his prep.

For the Paddy Power Plate, Spiritofthegames needed it last time, Oldgrangewood got stuck in the mud at Warwick but always runs his race around Cheltenham, and Romain De Senam will be in the race too. Proschema will also be in the County Hurdle. He’ll need to go up in the weights but he’s desperate for a bit of decent ground.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wilsonl For This Useful Post:

Desert Orchid (23rd February 2021), Maxbet (23rd February 2021), reet hard (23rd February 2021)

Thanks
    Dan Skelton is stretching it...

Thanks
    They've certainly had Marracudja running with the handbrake on for a while now.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,144 Times in 1,024 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Romain De Senam is one I'm keeping an eye on.

Entered up this Saturday in the 3 miler at Kempton.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by an capall View Post
    Interesting that GE's plans for Zanahiyr haven't attracted more comment. Makes a lot of sense, TBH.

Zanahiyr

"
    We're lucky to already have a very good horse in this division, Quilixios, who impressed greatly at Leopardstown when he won easily even when they crawled. That shows he’s a very good horse – I’d say he’s a very smart horse. He’s definitely more than just a juvenile hurdler. I’d be looking forward to him for the future as well as this season, which isn’t always the way with these juveniles. For that reason my plan is to supplement Zanahiyr for the Surpeme as that would give us a chance of mopping up that one too"
    You almost certainly would have got me if I hadn't already read it.