Page 15 of 32 FirstFirst ... 5101112131415161718192025 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheltenham 2020 / 2021

Thanks
    Thanks LuckyMe, I read that earlier and my overriding feeling was that I'd prefer to be taking advice from the Only Fools & Horses' Rodders than the RP version.
    Alcohol, because no good story ever started with "I was eating this salad..."

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyme View Post

Horse: Appreciate It
    Race: Supreme Novices' Hurdle
    Trainer: Willie Mullins
    Ante-post price: 5-2 favourite

Top-class bumper performer who was second behind Ferny Hollow in the championship event at this meeting last season and has improved significantly over hurdles. He is unbeaten in both starts over timber and looked a strong galloper when bolting up by nine lengths in a Grade 1 at Leopardstown over Christmas. That was over 2m, but he shapes like he might want further in time and might be vulnerable to a speedier type, so makes limited appeal.
    Over last dozen or so years that last bit about being vulnerable to speedier types could have been applied to half the winners of the race. It's a grinders race. Plus this renewal lacks depth.

Thanks
    Couldn't agree more. You can go back over 20 years and it's rare to find a winner that didn't want further sooner rather than later. Altior and Douvan being the obvious exceptions.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyme View Post
    Horse: Monkfish
    Race: Festival Novices' Chase
    Trainer: Willie Mullins
    Ante-post price: 7-4 favourite

Landed the Albert Bartlett at the festival last year and has improved for the switch to chasing this season, winning two from two including a Grade 1 at Leopardstown over Christmas. That display wasn't as impressive as his chasing debut at Fairyhouse, though, and this race often turns into a war of attrition that doesn't always suit classy types like Monkfish. He is the right favourite but isn't unbeatable and makes the market for a bet on something else.
    Who do you take him on with?
    Last edited by Frankel; 20th January 2021 at 2:21 PM.
    All comers, all grounds, all beaten!

This perfect mix of poetry and destruction.

Thanks
    Monkfish will eat them alive...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 735 Posts
    Big Getaway is out for season
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    History says that more than half of them will get beat.

2 from 8 that were 3/1 or less turned over last season for example.

Of those I think barring a fall Shishkin, Envoi Allen, and Monkfish are rock solid, and I can find reasons to get the others beat, including Epatante who needs to return back to her best after Kempton.

Chacun would join them but he's injury prone and he's never been round Cheltenham. If he turns up I don't see any of the others beating him though.

I don't think I've ever said the three novice chase favourites are the most solid before.

Thanks
    This is worrying from Jessie in the RP and be interesting to know whether "...vets to pay to get all these forms done..." refers to per journey or per horse.

Jessica Harrington has criticised the "seriously annoying" level of extra paperwork involved in sending runners to Britain from Ireland in the aftermath of Brexit.

The Cheltenham Gold Cup-winning trainer has sent Grand National runner-up Magic Of Light over to compete in the Grade 2 Matchbook Betting Podcast Mares' Hurdle (1.15) at Ascot on Saturday.

Harrington, who will stay in Ireland rather than make the trip, says the new rules and regulations required for the transport of the mare have added €700 on top of the usual costs.

Last week Willie Mullins expressed concern over extra VAT charges on sending horses to Britain after Brexit, although his fears were eased as he sent Grangee to Market Rasen on Saturday without any extra charge being levied.

Speaking about the new process, Harrington told Sky Sports Racing: "We've got it organised, as far as I can tell. She is leaving here this afternoon and will be at Ascot at some point in the early afternoon.

"It's more the paperwork, that's the problem and what costs money. Before, we could just drive to the ferry, get on one end and off the other, and the only costs you had were the box, diesel and the lads you took.

"Now we have all this paperwork to do for the Department of Agriculture and vets to pay to get all these forms done. That's what is so seriously annoying.

"I knew this was going to happen because I know what it was like before we had the Tripartite Agreement and we were all in the EU."

Thanks
    I would have thought horses coming over would be classed as temporary imports , and as coming to race and not for sale, could come in on a carnet so would be exempt from paying any import costs? It's a long time since I had to raise them but can't believe they cost that much? Time for negotiations for the same/similar type of tri agreement the UK/France and Germany had before Brexit for the movement of horses.
    Vote Alfie!!!!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to G-G For This Useful Post:

wilsonl (21st January 2021)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by G-G View Post
    I would have thought horses coming over would be classed as temporary imports , and as coming to race and not for sale, could come in on a carnet so would be exempt from paying any import costs? It's a long time since I had to raise them but can't believe they cost that much? Time for negotiations for the same/similar type of tri agreement the UK/France and Germany had before Brexit for the movement of horses.
    Yes they would need to travel under an ATA Carnet which are issued by the Chamber of Commerce in Ireland and is for all intents and purposes a guarantee in case the horse remians in the UK, I suspect the costs being referred to by Jessie Harrington is the Health Certificates needed for live animals coming back to the EU, I would imagine the UK have the same requirements coming in. A single Carnet can be used for multiple horses but a seperate health certificate is needed for each animal.
    Last edited by Beef or Salmon; 21st January 2021 at 9:00 PM.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Beef or Salmon For This Useful Post:

an capall (22nd January 2021), Grey (22nd January 2021)

Thanks
    Benie Des Dieux will go straight to Cheltenham with 0 prep run. Ruby no idea what race (probably just not saying)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by granger View Post
    If it meant irish hosses they would and delay others if needed
    Not sure PJ. The Irish horses add immensely (aka make) to the event, but the £100M economic contribution the visitors make is the golden egg. If that isn't happening then you'll still have racing, betting and ITV, RP and BHA will hype the bejaysus out of it anyway.
    "And still they gazed and still the wonder grew. That one small head could carry all he knew.

And that small head knew that Impaire Et Passe would win the Champion Hurdle."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 735 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by an capall View Post
    Not sure PJ. The Irish horses add immensely (aka make) to the event, but the £100M economic contribution the visitors make is the golden egg. If that isn't happening then you'll still have racing, betting and ITV, RP and BHA will hype the bejaysus out of it anyway.
    At this stage, i'm retired from guessing

If anything i'd say stables will send over reduced numbers and Punchestown will have some very nice clashes

C'est La Guerre
    Some people say he’s the best since Arkle and that’s certainly true when you look at what he’s done

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by granger View Post
    At this stage, i'm retired from guessing

If anything i'd say stables will send over reduced numbers and Punchestown will have some very nice clashes

C'est La Guerre
    I think the reduced numbers is a very valid point and its hard to see any trainer sending over a horse just to have a runner at the festival, with the extra costs and more importantly the owners not having their day out, what it means of course is it should in theory make it somewhat easier to navigate the handicaps in particular.

Thanks
    Agree, which is why the 5/2 Britain winning the prestbury cup is appealing despite Ireland having plenty of shorties.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,483 Times in 2,743 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wilsonl View Post
    Agree, which is why the 5/2 Britain winning the prestbury cup is appealing despite Ireland having plenty of shorties.
    It wouldn't make me fancy GB any more. Whichever Irish runners do come over won't be social ones and they're just as likely to win the same [number of] races.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks
    Could have a big impact in the handicaps though.....

Sent from my SM-J415FN using Tapatalk

Thanks
    That's right. Generally speaking you'd expect it to have little impact on the graded races but in the handicaps and to a lesser extent, those graded races, it's simple maths that the less Irish runners taking part in each race then the less chance of winning.

Whether that is significant enough to justify wading into Britain at 5/2 is questionable but I don't foresee the landslide the Irish had in 2020 and 5/2 is bigger than it should be. Plus we don't have the plethora of Irish trained odds on favs this year that we've often had in the past, when you consider of the two horses likely to go off odds on this year; one is British.

Thanks
    Britain have 0 chance of winning. Id lay 3/1 any amount if i had the bank roll.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post
    Monkfish will eat them alive...
    Do you not think Latest Exhibition will give him a race?